Woodgate

José

Solano

Batty

Beardsley

Robert

Shearer

Ferdinand

Was Batty better than Cheick, or even Speed? Genuine question like, can't really remember Batty, aside from seeing him in Pickering a dozen times.

as a tackling no nonsense DM. probs just edges it. but Bracewell for me at his best.

More to his game than just tackling though, although that was obviously a strong point. He was very much a pivot in the middle from which we operated. Not to the same extent but not to disimilar to what Makelele and Busquets have gone on to truly master.

To compare and contrast Yorkie he'd be more Tiote than Speed (the latter very much an attacking player who changed his role) and in comparison the former still doesn't use the ball well enough for me yet to edge him out.

One, who we had who'd have been better if he wasn't a twitchy big nosed cunt would probably have been Hamman.

Plus in my team I've shoehorned Beardsley (probably unfairly) in to a CM/10 role so you'd need someone to stop at home and not go missing which Batty wouldn't.

surprised by the lack of Batty in people's teams until Disco posted in all fairness.  Suppose its kind of tough though if you want to accommodate Speed and Lee too.

We need an older person (I'm thinking Mick) to drop in some names from the 60's/70's.  I know me dad would be championing the likes of Ollie Burton, Irving Nattrass, John Tudor and Wyn Davies etc.

He reckons a deeply religious teacher at Walbottle campus threatened him with the belt for having 'Wyn Davies is God' written on his satchel when he was younger...

surprised by the lack of Batty in people's teams until Disco posted in all fairness.  Suppose its kind of tough though if you want to accommodate Speed and Lee too.

We need an older person (I'm thinking Mick) to drop in some names from the 60's/70's.  I know me dad would be championing the likes of Ollie Burton, Irving Nattrass, John Tudor and Wyn Davies etc.

He reckons a deeply religious teacher at Walbottle campus threatened him with the belt for having 'Wyn Davies is God' written on his satchel when he was younger...

Wyn Davies wasn't that great, tbh. Excellent header of the ball but otherwise a bit limited. Malcolm MacDonald was a big step up.

From those days, Bobby Moncur and Tony Green deserve consideration.

Batty at his best was a quality defensive midfielder but he was astonishingly negative with the ball. I'd probably still have him just above Tiote and comfortably ahead of Bracewell.

However, it's not to say you have to have to a recognised defensive midfielder. If I was playing Beardsley in the forward midfield role, I'd have Rob Lee as the all round midfielder. Was top class when in his pomp. Gary Speed was pretty good too in that all round central midfield role.

My uncle said Malcom MacDonald was incredibly quick but actually not that great technically.

Fair comment. He wasn't that intelligent, either, but he was quick and strong and obviously had an eye for goal.

And was better than The Mighty Wyn.

Aye, he didn't rate Wyn much at all.

I often found it astonishing how underrated Rob Lee was by the rest of the country.  When he was at his best, he was absolutely awesome.  Brilliant brilliant player - even if his form tended to drop off a little by Feb/March time...

I often found it astonishing how underrated Rob Lee was by the rest of the country.  When he was at his best, he was absolutely awesome.  Brilliant brilliant player - even if his form tended to drop off a little by Feb/March time...

It definetely didn't do that in 93-94. He was absolutely on fire in the last few months of that season. Incredible player at his best.

early in his career here he was outstanding attacking midfielder, as he got older and his arse got too big. he changed his game, and was still excellent playing more defensive. class act.

One of my favourite players when I was younger.

Given

Nattrass

Woodgate

Coloccini

Jose Enrique

Solano

Bracewell

Gascoigne

Robert

Beardsley

Shearer

Subs Krul, Alan Kennedy, Moncur, Tommy Craig, Waddle, Ferdinand, Macdonald

Old git, me, like, but I just missed Tony Green who everybody raved about, although I don't think he could have been better than Gazza. Went to his testimonial - Bobby Charlton played for us! Irving Nattrass was a proper class right back, the best in England at the time, but too far north for the national team to even consider, three days by horse to London in them days. Macdonald might not have been technically excellent but he was as fast as f**k and built like a bull - pure excitement every time he went on the rampage. Tommy Craig had a sweet left peg so he just keeps Jimmy Smith in the stands. I can't allow Ginola or Cole near my lads because they slagged us off when they left. My players are better anyway. Mind with the massive squad at my disposal I'd be rotating like fury.

I could even do this again with:

GK: Given

RB: Beye

CB: Woody

CB: Colo

LB: Enrique

DCM: Tiote

CM: Lee

CM: Solano

CAM: Beardo

ST: Cole

ST: Shearer

And even that you could have Speed play the role next to Lee.

This would assume leaving out Ginola and Robert.

Midfield could be something like: Solano - Lee - Speed - Robert or Ginola - Lee - Speed - Robert

Midfield has a billion options tbh!

Guest NobbyOhNobby

GK - Karelse

RB - Ramage

LB - Serrant

CB - Marcelino

CB - Boumsong

RM - Brady

LM - Pattison

CM - Fumaca

CM - Maric

CF - Andersson

CF - Cordone

When my granda was alive, he always said that Len White was the deadliest forward he'd seen for us.

My dad says Len White was fantastic and is right up there with the best. Surprised nobody has mentioned Hughie Gallagher. Not many will have seen him but he must have been quite something.