Newcastle United 0 - 3 Chelsea - 12/03/11 - post-match reaction from page 37

Beren

And for what it's worth in that situation he could have rounded Cech, gained a penalty and had him sent off. It's hardly rare in those circumstances.

The way the ball was going that was exactly what I expected him to do, a decent touch to his left and he's potentially got an open goal.

Absolute bollocks about it not being a proper goalscoring opportunity, the reason Ba didn't get a touch on it was because that clumsy twat brought him down.

I didn't think the yellow was even coming out at first.

He looked like he went straight for his cards then bottled it

I definitely think he's mainly bottled it because it happened after just 3 minutes.

Probably didn't want to 'spoil the game', what with it being on telly. :rolleyes:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I didn't think the yellow was even coming out at first.

He looked like he went straight for his cards then bottled it

I definitely think he's mainly bottled it because it happened after just 3 minutes.

Probably didn't want to 'spoil the game', what with it being on telly. :rolleyes:

You say that, but I've heard a ref describe how Premier League referees are told to 'manage' Premier League games. They have to manage an event. Not a football game. An EVENT. People pay to see 'team x' and 'player y' and refs are advised not to spoil the event. They way he described it sounded ridiculous, yet sadly believable.

Not a bottler. :lol:

Give over man, he absolutely shit himself at the thought of sending a Chelsea player off after five minutes. If it's Steven Taylor, he walks, if it's Ashley Williams or Chris Samba, he walks.

If he'd got it wrong, he wouldn't have given the foul which would have been easier to take. A yellow card can only be a bottle job.

Referees probably look at decisions like that involving the 'big' clubs and think it's not worth the hassle, shame but it's been apparent for a long time.  That's why it's worth it for managers of these clubs to take a ban or a fine because of their behaviour or post match comments, as the media will normally back them 100% and the refs are intimidated.

Give over man, he absolutely shit himself at the thought of sending a Chelsea player off after five minutes. If it's Steven Taylor, he walks, if it's Ashley Williams or Chris Samba, he walks.

If he'd got it wrong, he wouldn't have given the foul which would have been easier to take. A yellow card can only be a bottle job.

Spot on. If we had been playing Wigan or Bolton and that had happened we'd have been facing 10 men straight away NO Arguement.

Spot on. If we had been playing Wigan or Bolton and that had happened we'd have been facing 10 men straight away NO Arguement.

I honestly think it's a combination of the timing and the opposition - if he effectively condemns Chelsea to defeat after 3 minutes then he'll have it in his mind that there's far more chance of him being massively criticised than if we were playing a lesser side or he gives it after half an hour.

Ah, the referees favouring the big teams again. Such a thoughtful analysis.

Can a referee ever get it wrong without being a cheat or a bottler? Only when we benefit, clearly.

He bottled the decision. But I don't think it had anything to do with Chelsea per se. If the roles were reversed, I don't think he would have sent our man off either. There is absolutely no excuse or reason he could give to justify his decision (or lack thereof). Getting the decision wrong would have meant him waving the play on. He pulled up the play for a foul, correctly adjudging Luiz had brought down Ba who was clean through etc....