Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

Feels like the referees are just being bad on purpose at the moment, and only if them being blatantly and obviously wrong in a big situation do we get the right call with VAR (maybe). I counted at least 3-4 stonewall yellow cards on Wolves players deliberately stopping a counter attack like the Trippier's supposed "red card" challenge and nothing happens.

Apparently the penalty wasn't given because it "wasn't sustained holding" which is a new one on me.

Not quite as bad as the "explanation" after the Chelsea game last season, but it's still bollocks.

Has anyone seen the phrase "sustained holding" in the laws or guidance on interpretation this season? If not it just seems like they're making up the rules after the event.

Really need some clarity on this.  I always thought shirt pulling/grabbing was a foul, full stop. Often refs will play advantage if the player whose shirt is being grabbed pulls free and maintains possession. But otherwise it's a foul, and if it happens in the area it should be a pelanty.

But now apparently it depends on how hard the pull is and/or how long it goes on for.  In that case there should be some sort of guidance so that players know just how much shirt pulling is OK.

The obvious solution is to do away with shirts and have the players spray painted in their team colours, but I don't see that happening.  And even then they'd probably just resort to pulling opponents' shorts instead.

16 minutes ago, GideonShandy said:

Really need some clarity on this.  I always thought shirt pulling/grabbing was a foul, full stop. Often refs will play advantage if the player whose shirt is being grabbed pulls free and maintains possession. But otherwise it's a foul, and if it happens in the area it should be a pelanty.

But now apparently it depends on how hard the pull is and/or how long it goes on for.  In that case there should be some sort of guidance so that players know just how much shirt pulling is OK.

The obvious solution is to do away with shirts and have the players spray painted in their team colours, but I don't see that happening.  And even then they'd probably just resort to pulling opponents' shorts instead.

It depends on if it impeded the player. 

From what I can tell, pulling of shirts isn't specifically mentioned in the the FA Laws, which does seem very odd as there is all sorts of nonsense in there

The closest you get is "holds an opponent or

impedes an opponent with contact"

Never does it mention about the duration of the holding or how long you impede a player as being a condition of an offence.

I do hope the club are noting all these incidents down and/or reporting them to relevant authorities. It can't keep happening every season.