Dogawful Officiating: PL to keep VAR next season (official)

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

40 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Dog awful it may be but, other than the institutional bias to the bigger teams that's always prevailed, I'm not minded to think the whole things stitched up. I just think their massively incompetent. 

I can't even figure out why ours was struck off. Its a goal OR a pen all day. 

Just watch the Bowen one. He leaves a foot in. Regardless that Mendy ain't saving Cornet's shot, Bowen gave the ref/VAR a get-out. 

If there was a definite conspiracy against us the foul on Fraser v Wolves wouldn't have been given. Maybees Miggy v City would've been overturned? 

It's just shit refereeing 

That’s my take - just read a pathetic article on the mag saying he spoke to a West Brom fan before the game who knows an official who knows that since the take over it’s all a stitch up. I thought the same, tripps red card, wolves disallowed goal etc. it’s just a broken system.

They all have it in for us

5 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

That’s my take - just read a pathetic article on the mag saying he spoke to a West Brom fan before the game who knows an official who knows that since the take over it’s all a stitch up. I thought the same, tripps red card, wolves disallowed goal etc. it’s just a broken system.

They all have it in for us

Yeah, forgot about the red card reversal, which was correct and a rare moment of strong VAR work. 

10 hours ago, Hanshithispantz said:

VAR should be done remotely by independent referees who aren’t in a room together and who have no context of the original call or the match score. Just get sent a clip to review and vote on the outcome.

10 referees or so, majority wins.

At the end of each game they need to do a write up giving their perspective of each event they judged, which can be publicly viewed.

I like this idea. Have 10 referees per game day on standby, and use 5 per incident. 

Each team gets 2 challenges, and loses a challenge if the decision goes against them. Manager tells the 4th official who tells the referee. 

The 5 VARs get 60 seconds maximum to submit their verdict. Majority wins. They do not have any info about the match, they do not know who challenged this clip, they do not know the on field decision.

The howlers yesterday don't happen with the above. Forest penalty and van dijk were a bit more contentious and might be reflected as such in a 3-2 result. Potentially have 6 refs do it so a tie can result in go with what the on field ref thought. 

Looks like we are almost at tipping point when it comes to VAR. Everyone seems pissed off today.

There should be a league table for referees, open for all to see, they get demoted accordingly.

They should also get paid more (hear me out), because right now there is this "poor little refs" thing that seems to go around. Pay them more, hold them MORE accountable and make it a profession that young football fans want to get involved in.

.com's assessment:

"For the fourth time in seven days, VAR played a pivotal role in the outcome of a game involving Newcastle - and for the third time the verdict left Eddie Howe, his players and supporters angry and bewildered. 

The system may have belatedly righted an obvious wrong to deny Wolves their second goal at Molineux on Sunday, but only after a clear tug on the shirt of Sean Longstaff in that same game was ignored by the officials.

Technology - or a dubious line on a screen - then robbed United of a 2-0 lead at Anfield on Wednesday, not to mention an inability to use a watch.

An even more glaring miscarriage of justice at Gallowgate on Saturday saw a valid Magpies goal chalked off by a dodgy VAR call and the inexplicable rubber-stamping of that decision by the match referee.

51 goalless minutes had passed when Kieran Trippier's free kick from the United right was headed back across the Leazes goal by Sven Botman.

Arriving near the back post, Joe Willock was shoved by visiting defender Tyrick Mitchell and as the Newcastle man collided with goalkeeper Vicente Guaita, the ball bounced off the chest of Mitchell and into the goal.

As Willock and Guaita lay in the box requiring medical attention, it became apparent that the goal was being checked by VAR official for checking for a foul (our initial thoughts were that a harsh ruling was going to see a penalty awarded instead).

Mason's judgement call sent Michael Salisbury to the pitchside monitor and he unbelievably agreed that Willock was guilty and ruled out the goal.

Those fans at that end of the ground were up in arms at the decision and a replay on the big screen above confirmed Mitchell to have been the villain of the piece, prompting a deafening chorus of boos.

To have the onfield official review footage that was unclear and then show an angle that was clear as day to the crowd in the ground is a catastrophic failure of a system that is not getting refined. It's getting worse."

The decision was shocking yesterday that's clear. I mean, if Willock is not pushed, he heads that in. And Vieira says "without the foul, goalkeeper collects it" [emoji38] Guaita was nowhere near to get it, so Willock would rather crash into the GK than score an easy header?

When the poor officiating is as bad as it has been, especially this last week and the amount of money riding on the game's results, something's got to give. We're at a stage now where it's pretty much every game yet there's zero accountability, it's either blatant corruption or total incompetence, either way something needs to be done to correct it. When match reports become about the officials and their terrible use of technology which should make things easier (and seemingly do for everyone other than the officials using it), instead of the actual game being played, you have to ask what is the point of football in the English Premier League?

11 minutes ago, duo said:

Lee Mason needs to be removed from VAR for a start - he is an experience referee so has no excuses.

That there is the problem, he was a fucking terrible Ref too.

It seems like shit Ref = Stick them in the VAR room out of the way.

Again, it's not VAR, it's the incompetent morons operating it.  VAR has the potential to ge a great asset but its like giving me Facebook, I can look at it and press some buttons but haven't got a clue how to use it

1 minute ago, 1964 said:

Again, it's not VAR, it's the incompetent morons operating it.  VAR has the potential to ge a great asset but its like giving me Facebook, I can look at it and press some buttons but haven't got a clue how to use it

100% this. The technology is being criticised to protect the incompetence of those using it.

8 minutes ago, Numbers said:

Has there been any apology or explanation at all from these shit cunts?

no and you won’t get it , it’s gone now so no point expending energy on it .

bunch of cunts

14 minutes ago, 1964 said:

The issue is 'how' they use it as well as 'who' is operating in.

For a start it is meant to be used when there has been a 'clear and obvious error' but they seem to check everything forensically.  If it's not obvious straight away it is NOT a clear and obvious error.  It then goes down to 'opinion' and that's not it's purposes.  In those circumtances the on field decision should stand.

Secondly those running VAR should NOT be ex-referee's - it is impossible to take bias out of their equation.  They all work together so it will affect decision making.  They need to be people specifically trained in the role, much like Referees are trained in theirs but keeping the two seperate.  Those running VAR have to be totally impartial. 

Edited by duo

9 hours ago, duo said:

Be interesting to know how many points the big six have benefited from as a result of poor referring decisions. 

5 hours ago, teohgk said:

The amount of so called big 6 team benefited from VAR decision this season is disgusting , you can't tell me that it's coincidence 

It’s my job to say this of course, but it’s a bit tiring hearing the “Big 6” being quoted here when it’s usually Chelsea, Man City, Man U or Liverpool. The one time Spurs have benefitted that I can actually remember was against one of the Big 6 (Cucurella). That Dier penalty isn’t all that long ago.

It’s clear that there’s been a long-standing, conscious or unconscious refereeing bias towards Man U and Liverpool. I would suggest that Man City and Chelsea have started to benefit since winning the lottery becoming top sides. There’s clearly an argument to be had over why this appears to be so, but this is one issue where it’s genuinely annoying to be lumped in with those sides. I don’t think we’re getting many generous VAR decisions.

You have so many multi million pound transfer dealings and so much investment for clubs to try and break into the established elite that VAR is essential to make sure such huge decisions are correct.

You then get some fat bald prick from Bolton called Lee Mason who was a garbage referee himself (seem to remember he was the ref who fucked up Brightons goal at West Brom by blowing whistle for a quick free kick then paniced and blew it again before the ball went in the net) who can literally determine the result of a match.

As some have said its the fact nothing will be said to him and he'll be on VAR again next weekend doing another match as if nothing ever happened which is the most infuriating part. Honestly think such big fuck ups like that should mean he gets sacked but we'd have no VAR refs left by Christmas as they're all pony

I remember for years watching Mason, the little fat piggy. He was not able to keep up to play, and just stood largely around the centre circle. He is the one who I referred too earlier about having step 1 of Bruce gut.

Having someone like him on the same pitch as some of the worlds best and highly paid athletes is a disgrace, never mind being in charge of them.

3 hours ago, Hanshithispantz said:

On the pitch I agree, but VARs with the benefit of video? It cannot be incompetence?

The decisions yesterday were clear cut, I don’t think I’ve seen a single person even be able to play devils advocate about any of them [emoji38]

I've already stated I don't believe it's incompetence, I'm simply talking about the large number of inexperienced refs that seem to lack the conviction of their beliefs and cow-tow to the more experienced refs.

56 minutes ago, KingArthur said:

The decision was shocking yesterday that's clear. I mean, if Willock is not pushed, he heads that in. And Vieira says "without the foul, goalkeeper collects it" [emoji38] Guaita was nowhere near to get it, so Willock would rather crash into the GK than score an easy header?

I also wish managers would Man the fuck up and tell the truth - I manage a team at work and accepting errors isn’t a weakness, I can’t abide lying to cover them up.  If Viera says that then he’s another man whose gone right down in my books. 

Just get the best people doing the right jobs, let the best refs referee, VAR should be sports media technology experts guiding referees to make the right call, it's like yesterday I dont even think he watched the right angle or frames to understand what the foul was or why the goal should stand.

I mean would they have considered ruling out the own goal, and then booking Mitchel and awarding a penalty? Nobody knows, because it's time consuming and they want the quickest outcome. The fact it is now helping refs make the wrong calls or potentially deliberate/misleading decisions, should call for us to hear audio like in rugby, because for all anyone knows var refs could be influencing good calls on the pitch.

Also if players get fined, managers fined, clubs for ffp etc.

Refs and VAR need to be fined, if Lee Mason was found to be making the wrong call yesterday and it was a 25k fine, he'd soon stop fucking up!

Edited by mighty__mag

11 hours ago, Bimpy474 said:

This is doing my head in. VAR isn't a thing that decides anything. VAR is just a replay of any given incident ffs.

We shouldn't refer to it as VAR, we should refer to the name of which idiot ref is sitting watching the replay.

Joeyt said it earlier, and i've said it multiple times, the same shit ref on the pitch, is then judging the replays of another game the next day. VAR as in the replay system is perfectly fine, until we sort out the scandalous standard of officiating nothing will change.

Doesn't VAR stand for Video Assistant Referee though ??? So VAR is the other referee and not the technology itself

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_assistant_referee

Edited by joeyt

21 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

It’s my job to say this of course, but it’s a bit tiring hearing the “Big 6” being quoted here when it’s usually Chelsea, Man City, Man U or Liverpool. The one time Spurs have benefitted that I can actually remember was against one of the Big 6 (Cucurella). That Dier penalty isn’t all that long ago.

It’s clear that there’s been a long-standing, conscious or unconscious refereeing bias towards Man U and Liverpool. I would suggest that Man City and Chelsea have started to benefit since winning the lottery becoming top sides. There’s clearly an argument to be had over why this appears to be so, but this is one issue where it’s genuinely annoying to be lumped in with those sides. I don’t think we’re getting many generous VAR 

I feckin hate your club and the other 5 with a passion that will never end. I know it wasn't the fans of the 6 and most disagreed with it, but you 6 clubs wanted all the cake and to destroy our league out of greed, and even now still want to dictate what the other clubs do and what sponsorship they can have.

I want your club and the other scummy 5 to burn to the ground and be fuck up beyond all recognition.

3 minutes ago, Bimpy474 said:

I feckin hate your club and the other 5 with a passion that will never end. I know it wasn't the fans of the 6 and most disagreed with it, but you 6 clubs wanted all the cake and to destroy our league out of greed, and even now still want to dictate what the other clubs do and what sponsorship they can have.

I want your club and the other scummy 5 to burn to the ground and be fuck up beyond all recognition.

Sounds good. Do you think Spurs systematically benefit from VAR and refs?