Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

13-16 kids football is absolutely mental for abusing refs. It’s the parents more than the kids.

I remember back in my playing days a parent trying to square up a ref and then when we (I was 15 at the time) tried to get in the way they tried to square up to us. Was beyond embarrassing.

6 hours ago, Nobody said:

Incredibly harsh second yellow for James today like, but since it was against Chelsea I'll let it slip :lol:

I mean it was obvious that they were getting someone sent off from about 60 mins onwards, so much petulance towards the ref.

The Chelsea comments I’ve seen on it don’t seem to aggrieved, most are just saying ‘well at least he can’t get injured next game’ :lol:

9 hours ago, Nobody said:

Incredibly harsh second yellow for James today like, but since it was against Chelsea I'll let it slip :lol:

I thought his 2nd yellow was fine, he never complained himself, but his first, and Sterling's yellow are baffling. You aren't allowed to poke the ball away to prevent quick free kicks now?

Just now, Hanshithispantz said:

I thought his 2nd yellow was fine, he never complained himself, but his first, and Sterling's yellow are baffling. You aren't allowed to poke the ball away to prevent quick free kicks now?

Kicking the ball away is an automatic yellow and has been for some time 

1 minute ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I agree, both times it was just an instinctual flick away. I guess it‘s there as a form of conditioning, they’ll very quickly stop doing it when it leads to cards. I get that a stance needed to be taken as some people were taking the piss but it does feel weird seeing it lead to a sending off which was so mild 

1 minute ago, morpeth mag said:

Kicking the ball away is an automatic yellow and has been for some time 

Yeah hoofing it away in blatant displays of anger. I cannot remember players been booked for poking the ball away 5 or 6 yards while getting into position?

Seems a fine line between 'petulance' and just not wanting to be caught unprepared for the free kick.

2 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Yeah hoofing it away in blatant displays of anger. I cannot remember players been booked for poking the ball away 5 or 6 yards while getting into position?

Seems a fine line between 'petulance' and just not wanting to be caught unprepared for the free kick.

It's been that way since the summer, it was a way to stop teams time wasting. Loads of players got yellows right  at the start of the season, fairly certain Bruno got one, most clubs have become the wiser and don't do it nowadays, Chelsea apparently didn't get the memo.

7 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

They were kicking the ball away all afternoon. It’s been well established as a yellow since the start of the season. 

It's actually a great idea. Don't kick it away....no yellow card. Soon, nobody will be kicking it away. 

Hopefully it allows the ref to stay in control of the game and doesn't see matches run to 113 mins 

Just now, Hanshithispantz said:

Fair enough, it seems a daft answer to stamping down on time wasting like :lol:

It was the combined with cutting down on dissent, so waving imaginary yellow cards, showing annoyance at decisions etc etc

As long as the referees are consistent with it I'm all for it

It's staggering and highlights how dumb players are, getting a soft yellow puts them at unnecessary risk 

7 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Not really. The sole purpose is to delay the game.  Same as standing infront of the ball. 

Free kicks and throw ins allow a player to pass the ball without pressure though, which means quick free kicks and throw ins can be massively unfair. The opposition have always been allowed to stop them.

I'm struggling to see the benefits on this one tbh.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

6 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Free kicks and throw ins allow a player to pass the ball without pressure though, which means quick free kicks and throw ins can be massively unfair. The opposition have always been allowed to stop them.

I'm struggling to see the benefits on this one tbh.

Don't commit fouls and give away free kicks then?

Thought the ref was card happy like, but overall not terrible.

Those little kicks away are sometimes yellows sometimes not. They're petty but I think I lean towards them being yellows because ultimately the team who's got the free kick has the advantage and stopping free kicks being taken should be a yellow. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

Those little kicks away are sometimes yellows sometimes not. They're petty but I think I lean towards them being yellows because ultimately the team who's got the free kick has the advantage and stopping free kicks being taken should be a yellow. 

Those cynical fouls people do to stop a break and then block the free kick? Yellow for the foul + yellow for the block = red. 

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

I don’t think there’s any flexibility now though, the directive is they all have to be yellows.