Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

8 hours ago, David Edgar said:

Why did cricket get rid of that?  I could always get on with it.  Just seemed a good compromise.

On the clock stop thing.  I think there is a case for it when the game is delayed by physios on the pitch and VAR.  In both incidents, you are waiting for people outside of the game to do a job which shouldn't be rushed.

Not sure mate, I read about it being scrapped for the new cricket season, among a few other changes. I must admit I didn't look in detail as to why, I quite liked it as it seemed to suit cricket.

Edited by Bimpy474

10 minutes ago, Bimpy474 said:

Not sure mate, I read about it being scrapped for the new cricket season, among a few other changes. I must admit I didn't look in detail as to why, I quite liked it as it seemed to suit cricket.

Umpires call isn't going anywhere

It's the soft signal they are getting rid of 

1 minute ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Umpires call isn't going anywhere

It's the soft signal they are getting rid of 

That's what we were talking about wasn't? The soft signal is what I thought, sorry if I got that wrong.

3 minutes ago, Bimpy474 said:

That's what we were talking about wasn't? The soft signal is what I thought, sorry if I got that wrong.

Nah, soft signal is for catches

He was referring to umpires call which is when hawkeye is involved, so for example if it's clipping the stumps a certain amount then they will stick with whatever the umpire decided, be that our or not out

The reasoning behind that is DRS is there to eliminate howlers not marginal calls, plus the team that goes for a review don't lose their review even if it's turned down if umpires call is involved

Edited by Geordie Ahmed

6 hours ago, wormy said:

:lol: Say what you want about them but they sure love to take any opportunity to make a song and dance about how hard done by they are. It's admirable in it's own annoying as fuck way.

Have we seen @rgk_lfc of late? I'd be interested in their view as a resident LFC fan whose posts, from what I've seen, are invariably quality.

I am not the most neutral observer on these matters, mate. I try to stay away from such discussions and butt in the football forum only when I can add insights without annoying a decent number of you [emoji38]. I am betting if Villa was the threat to your CL place and we were in 10th position, quite a few of you would be annoyed at the offside goal and red card not given to Mings. 

I can honestly say one thing, Tierney is a horrible referee. I don't think he is biased like most LFC fans. He is incompetent. And the PL and FA would rather cover it up than work on such referees to improve them. 

Outside of football, I follow cricket and admire how they have adopted technology more sensibly to improve the standard of refereeing. Football is a more fluid game with too many things happening outside of the referee's field of vision, I get that.  But I am wondering why somehow the premier league's adoption of technology gives me the impression that things have not improved. Again my perception only which could be a result of my inbuilt bias.

It may be because I watched the world cup as a neutral or it could be the slower pace of the game helping the referees, but overall I was happy about the refereeing there. Sensible decisions were made. Why the PL cannot do it is a mystery to me.

7 minutes ago, rgk_lfc said:

I am not the most neutral observer on these matters, mate. I try to stay away from such discussions and butt in the football forum only when I can add insights without annoying a decent number of you [emoji38]. I am betting if Villa was the threat to your CL place and we were in 10th position, quite a few of you would be annoyed at the offside goal and red card not given to Mings. 

I can honestly say one thing, Tierney is a horrible referee. I don't think he is biased like most LFC fans. He is incompetent. And the PL and FA would rather cover it up than work on such referees to improve them. 

Outside of football, I follow cricket and admire how they have adopted technology more sensibly to improve the standard of refereeing. Football is a more fluid game with too many things happening outside of the referee's field of vision, I get that.  But I am wondering why somehow the premier league's adoption of technology gives me the impression that things have not improved. Again my perception only which could be a result of my inbuilt bias.

It may be because I watched the world cup as a neutral or it could be the slower pace of the game helping the referees, but overall I was happy about the refereeing there. Sensible decisions were made. Why the PL cannot do it is a mystery to me.

:thup: Wasn't trying to stitch you up, I promise. :lol: Your posts have just always had an air of level headedness so was interested in your thoughts.

I think the inherant bias you mention certainly comes in to play. I think if you removed club-specific references and put the above statement to fans of all clubs, you wouldn't receive much argument.

I don't genuinely think there is corruption to the point that parties are colluding behind closed doors or exchanging brown envelopes. But I do think it looks a ton worse due to bias, subconscious or not, followed by a lack of accountability or action, as you mention re the FA and PL. 

21 minutes ago, rgk_lfc said:

Tierney is horrendous like. Constantly guessing because he's in a bad position and can't see things clearly.

Made more irritating by that stupid half-smirk half-grin after he's made any sort of decision. Like a toddler coming to tell you with pride that they've just shit on the floor again.

17 minutes ago, wormy said:

:thup: Wasn't trying to stitch you up, I promise. :lol: Your posts have just always had an air of level headedness so was interested in your thoughts.

I think the inherant bias you mention certainly comes in to play. I think if you removed club-specific references and put the above statement to fans of all clubs, you wouldn't receive much argument.

I don't genuinely think there is corruption to the point that parties are colluding behind closed doors or exchanging brown envelopes. But I do think it looks a ton worse due to bias, subconscious or not, followed by a lack of accountability or action, as you mention re the FA and PL. 

I grew up in India in the 80s and 90s. Every overseas cricket tour, whether it is Australia, England, Pakistan, or Sharjah was accompanied by weeks of complaining about dogawful officiating. I am betting it was the same for fans of those countries when they toured India. Nowadays, there is hardly a discussion on that aspect. Because the trust in the refereeing process has increased so much. Say what you want about ICC, but umpiring is something they have improved brilliantly. And if you thought Newcastle and Liverpool fans were rabid, passionate, and biased - I invite you to visit the subcontinent during a cricket game [emoji38]

ICC are no saints, but they have no issues bringing transparency to the game. With the FA and PL, the feeling I am getting is they don't like criticisms, and as you rightly point out, don't want accountability for their actions.

Coming back to the discussion, I am not that neutral or level-headed in this matter. Obviously, my views will be different from yours on specific incidents, biases, etc. But I have no qualms in saying that we will finish outside of the CL places because that is where we deserve to be, irrespective of what I think about the officiating. Having said that, I strongly believe, once we fix our midfield, we will be right in the mix competing for the three CL places next season with Chelsea, Man United, Newcastle, Arsenal, and potentially Spurs and Villa. I say three because City will obviously take one. 

15 minutes ago, geordiesteve710 said:

Tierney is horrendous like. Constantly guessing because he's in a bad position and can't see things clearly.

Made more irritating by that stupid half-smirk half-grin after he's made any sort of decision. Like a toddler coming to tell you with pride that they've just shit on the floor again.

Thank you. Tierney might very well be the worst of the lot. Again, I repeat, I don't think he is biased against Liverpool. He is just poor at the basics of refereeing due to the reasons you mentioned. I am betting in three years' time, fans of every club in the PL will have a long list of grievances against him. The FA and PL will protect him to the end. And when it is totally unbearable for him to set foot in any football ground in the country, promote him to becoming the head of the referees association or Director of VAR. 

25 minutes ago, rgk_lfc said:

Thank you. Tierney might very well be the worst of the lot. Again, I repeat, I don't think he is biased against Liverpool. He is just poor at the basics of refereeing due to the reasons you mentioned. I am betting in three years' time, fans of every club in the PL will have a long list of grievances against him. The FA and PL will protect him to the end. And when it is totally unbearable for him to set foot in any football ground in the country, promote him to becoming the head of the referees association or Director of VAR. 

Take it you haven't had the misfortune of coming across Simon Hooper then?

7 minutes ago, geordiesteve710 said:

Take it you haven't had the misfortune of coming across Simon Hooper then?

Not as much as Tierney. Hooper, I remember only two or three games. Tierney is definitely way more than 5. See, that itself says something. I remember the referees.