Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

Today we had our best team out there and it showed

- Pardew

Not good for HBA to hear.

I think Pardew must clearly say if he counts on him or not.He doesn't show him confidence.

I reckon he will most certainly get his chance when Ba goes to the ACoN. That's his chance to "prove" himself. He'll more than likely start on Saturday playing in the number 10 behind Best methinks.

I reckon he will most certainly get his chance when Ba goes to the ACoN. That's his chance to "prove" himself. He'll more than likely start on Saturday playing in the number 10 behind Best methinks.

Most likely, or maybe even with the big Sho.

For once I actually agreed with not bringing him on tonight!

went to a new years party and was talking to one of my nephews mates who was saying just that, pardew isn't playing ben arfa as he doesn't want him worn out when he's going to depend on him game in and out for a month. not sure if i buy that but decent thinking from an 18yr old.

The face he pulls on Sky's thing for our bench really is spot on :lol:

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/9051/firsthalf1eplnewcastlev.jpg

Real shame he couldn't be involved today.

:lol: Don't know why but I can't stop laughing at this.

The game we played last night was never going to suit HBA, who actually wanted HBA to get on last night to replace Shola?

However it shows that we can change it around and play the more 'direct' route of football if needed, even though we still played good football last night. We migh change our tactics around for QPR and play a different style with HBA in the team if he performs against Blackburn. At least we aren't a one dimensional long ball merchants like some on here make us out to be under Pardew.

He isnt being risked just now so we have more options when ba is away think he will play on Saturday wouldnt be surprised if he starts.

I hope you're right. Pardew would go up massively in my estimation if that's true. Despite the result yesterday I still feel this lad has a big part to play for us this season.

Guest Roger Kint

Today we had our best team out there and it showed

- Pardew

Not good for HBA to hear.

Or Saylor

What has Saylor got to do with it? He wasnt available ffs

Clearly Pardew meant best team to do the job he wanted on Man Utd.......which it was.

He isnt being risked just now so we have more options when ba is away think he will play on Saturday wouldnt be surprised if he starts.

I hope you're right. Pardew would go up massively in my estimation if that's true. Despite the result yesterday I still feel this lad has a big part to play for us this season.

I think this must be the case, genuinely can't believe that Pardew doesn't realise how good Ben Arfa is. Fair play against Man Utd, he had a clear plan that worked, but in general HBA must play a massive part in the team when Ba is away.

Guest guinness_fiend

I think this must be the case, genuinely can't believe that Pardew doesn't realise how good Ben Arfa is. Fair play against Man Utd, he had a clear plan that worked, but in general HBA must play a massive part in the team when Ba is away.

Given that he sees him in training - day in, day out - I doubt that this is the case.  Whenever I have seen Arfa play, he has seemed very attacking minded but does not seem inclined to track back (this is not a criticism, it just does not appear to be in his DNA).  Also, as he likes to run at defenders, he can leave the midfield exposed if he loses the ball. 

As such, due to the style of play that we have adopted (high pressure and packing the defence), everyone is expected to chip in.  Ba was doing it last night, for instance.  Arfa does not (at the moment) seem to fit in with this game plan, in my opinion anyway.

I suspect that until our defence is strengthened, Arfa's chances will be few and far between.  However, once the ACN starts, he may have more opportunities to start as the midfield is shifted around.  Who knows, he might even start upfront!

He's gonna leave, and would be right to do so. His talent is being wasted. The old adage of "skilful" foreigners not knowing how to "track back" in English football is tiresome, lazy and stereotypical. The kid will learn to do so once given the chance, as most players of that ilk have who've succeeded in England. They didn't do so sitting on the bench. "Yeah, but he doesn't track back in training" sounds ludicrous.

Guest ykmkmdd

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7413336/?

latest quotes from Pards:

Pardew would rather not be losing two influential figures, but he believes he has the depth in his squad to cover the loss - with the likes of Hatem Ben Arfa desperate for an extended run in the side.

On the French forward, Pardew said: "He will get an opportunity, and we will try to play to his strengths.

"I have said before many times, he has a special talent. We need to see more of it."

Guest guinness_fiend

He's gonna leave, and would be right to do so. His talent is being wasted. The old adage of "skilful" foreigners not knowing how to "track back" in English football is tiresome, lazy and stereotypical. The kid will learn to do so once given the chance, as most players of that ilk have who've succeeded in England. They didn't do so sitting on the bench. "Yeah, but he doesn't track back in training" sounds ludicrous.

If that is a reference to my post above, it isn't an "old adage" or a lazy stereotype, it is a fact based on his performances to date and has nothing to do with the fact that he is foreign :lol:

Cabaye seems to track back without prompting and has done so since day one, so there is no excuse for Ben Arfa not doing it.   

Pardew is a professional manager.  That is his livelihood.  If he is not picking Ben Arfa, there must be a reason for it.  Whether the reason is down to current squad stability, his fitness or lack of defensive cover is unknown.

We are all speculating on the reasoning behind why he is not playing and I offered my suggestion.  Whether you agree with it or not is up to you.  However, given that only a handful of people on this forum are familiar with his past performances in France, making him out to be a super-talent is not helpful at all.  I am sure that, given the chance, he will prove his worth. 

Unfortunately, we are not in a position to break-in / test drive players, as our fairly consistent squad selection is what has got us into the position that we are in.  Once a few injuries etc crop up or when Pardew thinks that it is right, he will get his chance.

If he wants to leave in the transfer window because he does not feel as if he is getting a chance (or if he thinks that he can just walk into the starting eleven), then he is welcome to.  I doubt that this is the case though and it is more likely that something has been lost in translation.