Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

Why wouldn't we want him to sign? :lol:

All the other players will want payrises, the club will have absolutely no choice but to give into their demands and it could go under.

[/every failed transfer]

Robert was an awesome player for us, but in todays side he'd be as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

Fair point this. If there's one thing we don't need it's creativity and goals from out wide. We're all sorted for set-piece delivery too.

Guest firetotheworks

Robert was an awesome player for us, but in todays side he'd be as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

Fair point this. If there's one thing we don't need it's creativity and goals from out wide. We're all sorted for set-piece delivery too.

http://www.sitcom.co.uk/saxondale/images/char_alistair.jpg

I have to say Ronny, I think you were being a bit sarcastic there.

What gave it away?

Remember when we had a choice of Solano Robert and Viana to take set pieces... And Shearer... :lol:

I'd picked up on this too.

Regardless, Robert rarely set foot in his own half much less tracked a runner. So under Pardew that means he'd be permanently benched.

Why wouldn't we want him to sign? :lol:

All the other players will want payrises, the club will have absolutely no choice but to give into their demands and it could go under.

[/every failed transfer]

I see what you've done there, but there's a huge difference between bringing in new players on wages in line with the rest of the squad, and a player who's been here 3 years and proven he's class. Something I'm sure his team mates would recognise.

Guest firetotheworks

This will probably sound really pretentious, but he's been worth it purely for the enjoyment of it all. He's kept me sane. The actual deal is worth it for that, imo. I think £5m is still less than his worth, even with the injuries.

Guest hatem garrincha

fwiw, I dunno where I would put him in Robson's team. He'd be ahead of Gillespie in Keegan's team, I imagine.

I don't think Hatem would get into either team if i'm honest, he's great but not THAT great.

Sorry, but juste one case : if Laurent Robert was in these teams, I don't see why Ben Arfa wouldn't...Plus 2 complete seasons of injury and a crap manager didn't help Hatem to show all he could bring to the club.

You were also talking about "performance". Let's compare the 2 players goals ratio with NUFC, while Robert was playing in better teams and under a manager with a game plan.

Guest hatem garrincha

Robert was one of the main catalysts in us finishing so highly.

Like Hatem 2 seasons ago, right ?

If you want to compare Ben Arfa and Robert in term of performances (For the talent, HBA is twice the player Robert was), you can't avoid the comparison between SBR and Pardew.

I would like to see a fit Ben Arfa for the complete season this year. Despite the very strange Pardew football style, Hatem's still not that bad...

Thing is, as frustrating as Robert could be at times, he actually contributed to a lot of goals.

Never underestimate the value of someone who can whip in a quality ball early. CF's always have and always will love that kind of player.

Robert and Ben Arfa's Premier League goal ratios for Newcastle are actually very similar (goal every 4.7 games for Ben Arfa vs a goal every 4.3 games for Robert).  Of course so far Ben Arfa's been playing less games than Robert did, which is why he only has 10 Premier League goals in his 3 years so far compared to Roberts 30 Premier League goals in 5 years.

Robert did more then Ben Arfa has for Newcastle so far.  Though Ben Arfa does contribute more in general play and his goal scoring record per game is as good.  Really the problem so far has been injuries and being in a side where him saving us means us scraping through a game to help us avoid relegation or at best get into the top 6.  Rather than being in a position to put us top of the league like Robert did.

Pretty certain we spent all of the season we finished 5th in, in the top 5, before Hatem got into the side. Clean sheets + Ba's goals took us there.

Regardless, as a Newcastle player Robert > HBA. By a mile. HBA's behind Solano too for me.

Robert was allowed to play his game, that makes a massive difference.