Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

Jon, you think Gouffran is our best player? Seriously?

Solid, versatile, hard working and tidy player who's going through a purple patch in terms of goals at the moment. He creates very little for a wide player, almost never runs at the fullback or causes problems down that side. Ultimately I'd be looking to use him as a squad player, to me he's an upgrade on Jonas, certainly not someone we should be looking to build our team around.

If he keeps producing goals like he has been lately then he'll deservedly keep his place, but if they dry up like I'm expecting I'd imagine people will be getting on his back soon enough.

Because I was disappointed with him? Just like I was disappointed with a few players  :lol:

Yet you came on here to have a go at him because he didn't get us back in the game in the limited time he had. :lol:

:lol: Wullie's been class tonight.

I'm sure he has been massively disappointed in Gouffran's last 5 home performances before this one.

Not at all, he's a decent player, works like Jonas but with a very useful Nolan-esque knack of where to put himself to get a goal. But let's not kid ourselves that he's got even a fraction of HBA's effectiveness with a ball at his feet.

Who even suggested he did?

First mistake was probably benching HBA at the start, though I see why Pardew did it. Second mistake was swapping HBA for Gouffran. Should've never been Gouff off, regardless of how he was performing to that point. One of the few players who consistently works to get open. Should have been Anita or Sissoko off imo.

Though again, when Pardew made the switch, it was still 0-0 and he wasn't about to sacrifice anything defensively.

I think Gouffran coming off was the right decision and him coming off had nothing to do with us going behind.

Did I say I was happy with others' contributions? Don't see why their performances should affect how I judged HBA's decision-making?

Or, are you all that thick?

So why single him out?

:lol:

Its the HBA thread.

Gouffran and Sissoko both in the side is a little too defensive for me.

One or the other with HBA/Remy on the other flank would be what I'd like to see us do eventually.

I'd rather see Gouffran through the middle and Remy on the left, he's much better drifting in from a wide position.

One or the other with HBA/Remy on the other flank would be what I'd like to see us do eventually.

I'd rather see Gouffran through the middle and Remy on the left, he's much better drifting in from a wide position.

Aye could be an option alright, I'm thinking more about when we want to use one of the wingers to help protect a full back.

Pardew still hasn't decided whether we're a 4-4-2 team or a 4-3-3 team (tbf he's only had 3 years to decide).

Those wide roles in the two formations are very different. You can get away with having a player like Gouffran wide in a 4-4-2 - hard working, doesn't cross much but has decent movement and will get 8-10 goals a season from simply popping up in the right place - Ljungberg was the absolute master at that job.

In a 4-3-3 though? Not for me, you need players much more threatening to do that job than Gouffran. If you go 4-3-3, HBA has to play.

Pardew still hasn't decided whether we're a 4-4-2 team or a 4-3-3 team (tbf he's only had 3 years to decide).

Those wide roles in the two formations are very different. You can get away with having a player like Gouffran wide in a 4-4-2 - hard working, doesn't cross much but has decent movement and will get 8-10 goals a season from simply popping up in the right place - Ljungberg was the absolute master at that job.

In a 4-3-3 though? Not for me, you need players much more threatening to do that job than Gouffran. If you go 4-3-3, HBA has to play.

Well tbf, it doesn't help that half the team is a better fit in one formation or the other.

Because I was disappointed with him? Just like I was disappointed with a few players  :lol:

Yet you came on here to have a go at him because he didn't get us back in the game in the limited time he had. :lol:

Mick, please stop :lol: I never said anything of the sort.

This was just the first thread I looked at as it was top of the page, it had been busy, I posted my opinion.

I think we need to see Hatem start the next two.

It was only a "bad decision" because he missed

It may surprise a few people, But I would be happy for this to see if he can show us critics. I think we are likely to finish around 6-8th. Theres a 6 point gap below us. If ever there was an opportunity to give him another chance to shine this is it.

In the 5th place season. He didn't cement his starting position until post January, so plenty of time for him to get back in the team.

Although do have a horrible feeling he might leave in January, but I have that fear every transfer window, so nothing new.

I don't get why that's a problem tbh. We've had brilliant, good, average, poor and downright rank performances with both. He picks a team he reckons will get us the results he needs and it works to an extent.

In the 5th place season. He didn't cement his starting position until post January, so plenty of time for him to get back in the team.

Although do have a horrible feeling he might leave in January, but I have that fear every transfer window, so nothing new.

He won't be leaving.

It's the likes of Jonas, Marveaux, Taylor and probably Cisse who will be ready to get sold.

Also I think Cabaye and Krul if a super money bid comes in.

Ben Arfa won't be leaving as there won't be anyone paying that sort of money we could - in theory- getting out of him.

I'm sure he has been massively disappointed in Gouffran's last 5 home performances before this one.

Not at all, he's a decent player, works like Jonas but with a very useful Nolan-esque knack of where to put himself to get a goal. But let's not kid ourselves that he's got even a fraction of HBA's effectiveness with a ball at his feet.

No-one is are they? But Gouffran has been very effective for us for 2 months now.

I'd leave Sissoko out at WBA. I like Sissoko a lot but that's a game we don't need to be as solid.

Who even suggested he did?

:thup: both, people read what they want to read. Never once did I say Gouffran was better technically. I absolutely love Ben Arfa, I said he should start this game in fact. Actually I have no idea why this is a Gouffran vs Ben Arfa debate :lol:

That being said I would trust to get more good games over a season out of Gouffran. That isn't even Ben Arfa's fault as I have consistently stated he is just being used incorrectly and isn't being given the chance to be our best player (which he could be imo).

It is a very subjective topic and everyone will have their own opinion, I don't think anyone could change anyone's on their best player because we have a few candidates but it would be nice if those disagreeing could put their own option for their best player up though and a reason why. Instead of typically just disagreeing or even re-inventing what I have said.

Gouffran isn't a stand out player who will often pull off some cracking assist/goal etc.. but I honestly believe he has been a player we can nearly always count upon and be one of our best players.

Others might prefer their Cabaye, Ben Arfa etc.. moments of magic but at least they could put their opinions forward. It is a forum after all.

Ben Arfa looked like he could cause them some trouble when he came on, but then we brought on Shola and started launching it long and he mostly ended up a spectator watching the ball sail over his head. Can't really judge him on this performance.

I didn't see all of those options on MoTD for Ben Arfa when he made all of those poor decisions.

just that last one really when he hit the side netting. could've picked out one of three just inside the box but don't blame him taking it on from there.

Yeah that side netting one was even poorer seeing it again. Had Cabaye incoming on the edge of the box.

Still, won't give him too much grief considering he did so well to create the space. Just a shame he's not more consistent with his end product or he'd be a sensational player. Just look how easy he went past Cazorla and Wilshire before trying to play Shola in.

HBA has a couple of poor shots...bench him, he's useless, selfish, tries to hard, blah blah blah.

Whoop de fucking do he wasted a chance!! He also created the fucking chance himself.

Some people either just need a scapegoat, or need to talk shit to get a reaction.