Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

Maybe HBA told him how his name is pronounced seeing as they, you know, work together daily...

Exactly. If Pards was constantly fucking it up in interviews or in training then I'm sure HBA would have said something. :lol:

Type in "Reportage Hatem Ben Arfa Stade 2 29-01-12" on Youtube. Not that it really matters. Not exactly a "Charles Insomnia" moment :lol:

Guest bimpy474

Listen to Cab's intro vid on his website. Cabs says Hatem in that.

Pards is obviously speaking with a different French accent to Cabaye.

Ahhh English French, Delboy Trotter style ?

Guest bimpy474

Cabs says Hatem as it reads, H and an E as they look.

Except he doesn't pronounce the H.

Just listened and i thought he did, defo sounded like Ha... rather than a......

Guest Howaythetoon

Is he the single most gifted footballer to ever play for Newcastle?

A better player than Shearer? A more talented player than Gazza? A better brain than Beardo?

I know Ben Arfa could do with playing a full season before being mentioned among these players but does it really matter? O'Sullivan is considered the most naturally gifted snooker player, without winning every tournament?

Just thought I'd open up a can of worms ;)

Peter Beardsley was twice the player Ben Arfa is and I love our Frenchman. Beardsley had it all. In many ways Ben Arfa, given his talent, should be up there as one of the best players in the world but he isn't and that is down to inconsistency and from what Pardew alluded to, perhaps a rather lacklustre approach to training. That and his attitude of course. He is 26 now and should be for France for example what Zidane was, their main man. That's the kind of talent he has.

Back to Beardsley, he would be worth 30m or so today. Easily. Beardsley was an extremely hard working player in the mould of say Tevez or Rooney but he was immaculately discplined. He had amazing vision and his dribblibg, sorry but as good as Ben Arfa is, Beardsley was twinkle toes. He was genuinley two footed as well and could score all manner of goals from all over the park. He was an unselfish player too and a real team-player. People say Gazza is the best we have ever produced but do you know what, in terms of general all-round ability and being able to put it to full use, I don't think this region has produced anyone as food as Beardsley. If we had him today, he would make the difference between Europa and CL footy.

Shearer was something else as a centre-forward and Gazza of course had it all as a footballer but lacked the mentality, professionalism and discipline that Shearer and Beardsley had.

Mind... according to the auld cunts, both Tony Green and Len White were much better than Gazza, Beardsley, Shearer and of course, wor Hatem.

Me... Beardsley is the best footballer I've seen in our colours by some distance, with Shearer the best all-rounder in terms of scoring goals, service, all-round team play and all-round game.

Ben Arfa as good as he is, needs to up his game by another 30% to reach such heights in our shirt. He needs to do to Spurs and more every game, he has that capability but he is a 1 in 3 type of performer for me which is still good enough.

That is why alas, he will never be considered a world-class player.

You've got to remember it wasn't really until around 86-87 when Beardsley really became recognised at international level where he was 25-26, which is how old HBA is now. Pedro was a late developer in that respect, it's frightening to think Ben Arfa could continue to improve further still.

Maybe HBA told him how his name is pronounced seeing as they, you know, work together daily...

Exactly. If Pards was constantly fucking it up in interviews or in training then I'm sure HBA would have said something. :lol:

Type in "Reportage Hatem Ben Arfa Stade 2 29-01-12" on Youtube. Not that it really matters. Not exactly a "Charles Insomnia" moment :lol:

Yeah, most likely that there's more than one way to pronounce it. That or Hatem takes pity on Pards' inability to work around the cockney accent. :lol:

Tbf to Hatem the reason he's been inconsistent over his career is because he was never given a run of starts in the first team....

How can one be consistent without consistent game time? the run of games he got at the end of season was the first time he started more 5 games in succession in his career.

Thus consistency has arrived.

I don't think it's ever really been about age with Ben Arfa as the talent and the brain has always been there, it's just his maturity which he seems to have sorted out (hopefully anyway). The injury was obviously a set back but like our relegation it may have been a blessing in disguise, he seems to be coming up to his best along with the rest of our squad.

It's mental how exited everyone is for each game nowadays, I actually like football again.

I don't think it's ever really been about age with Ben Arfa as the talent and the brain has always been there, it's just his maturity which he seems to have sorted out (hopefully anyway). The injury was obviously a set back but like our relegation it may have been a blessing in disguise, he seems to be coming up to his best along with the rest of our squad.

It's mental how exited everyone is for each game nowadays, I actually like football again.

Aye, a few years back it was genuinely a chore to go to the game at times. :lol: Especially cold and rainy midweek games, just couldn't be arsed at times.

Aye, a few years back it was genuinely a chore to go to the game at times. :lol: Especially cold and rainy midweek games, just couldn't be arsed at times.

Even when we won. I'll never forgot walking out of St. James' Park under Fat Twat Allardyce having won 3-1 against Spurs and thanking how utterly shite we were and the game was.

A better player than Shearer? A more talented player than Gazza? A better brain than Beardo?

I know Ben Arfa could do with playing a full season before being mentioned among these players but does it really matter? O'Sullivan is considered the most naturally gifted snooker player, without winning every tournament?

Peter Beardsley was twice the player Ben Arfa is and I love our Frenchman. Beardsley had it all. In many ways Ben Arfa, given his talent, should be up there as one of the best players in the world but he isn't and that is down to inconsistency and from what Pardew alluded to, perhaps a rather lacklustre approach to training. That and his attitude of course. He is 26 now and should be for France for example what Zidane was, their main man. That's the kind of talent he has.

Back to Beardsley, he would be worth 30m or so today. Easily. Beardsley was an extremely hard working player in the mould of say Tevez or Rooney but he was immaculately discplined. He had amazing vision and his dribblibg, sorry but as good as Ben Arfa is, Beardsley was twinkle toes. He was genuinley two footed as well and could score all manner of goals from all over the park. He was an unselfish player too and a real team-player. People say Gazza is the best we have ever produced but do you know what, in terms of general all-round ability and being able to put it to full use, I don't think this region has produced anyone as food as Beardsley. If we had him today, he would make the difference between Europa and CL footy.

Great post, couldn't agree more.

Speaking of Pedro being two footed; that last minute goal down at Palace in 94-95, man. Past two players and top corner with the left foot from 20+ yards. I'll consider myself pretty lucky if I ever witness an NUFC player with that level of ability again.

Just realised 90% of the Ben Arfa compilation videos have suddenly been took down for copyright infringement  :( Enjoyed them while they lasted anyway.

Probably because so many dafties keep discussing them in here and where to find them.

Guest bimpy474

Great post, couldn't agree more.

Speaking of Pedro being two footed; that last minute goal down at Palace in 94-95, man. Past two players and top corner with the left foot from 20+ yards. I'll consider myself pretty lucky if I ever witness an NUFC player with that level of ability again.

Personally i love the one where he is running at Paul Mcgrath, changing the ball from foot to foot, McGrath end up all twisted like a twisty thing.