Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

Aye cos Gouffran's really outdone him in that department. Gerraway man.

Well, AP's comments were that he could forgive Ben Arfa's lack of team/defensive work if he puts in the numbers, that's obviously not the case with Gouff as his defensive game *was* solid. Again, these aren't comments I agree with - I want HBA in the side - but that's why I think Ronaldo's right when he says that Robert would've been in the team as his statistical contributions were really high.

I actually think Pardew would've liked Robert far more than the likes of HBA and Ginola, he'd have slotted in to his basic gameplan much easier with his game being less flashy and more direct.

If Pardew was in charge of Robson's squad, he'd probably play Robert given the players around him. However, if you moved that version of Robert into this squad he wouldn't get a game under Pardew; no chance. Same goes for Ginola, I think.

If Pardew was in charge of Robson's squad, he'd probably play Robert given the players around him. However, if you moved that version of Robert into this squad he wouldn't get a game under Pardew; no chance. Same goes for Ginola, I think.

If Pardew was in charge of Robson's squad he would sack off Robert and Solano for getting forward too much, have Shearer up front with Shola whilst leaving Bellamy on the bench/home. He would probably play Speed and Bowyer together and drop Jenas into the reserves and if Dyer wasn't injured he would leave him on the bench. Andy O'Brien, Caldwell, and Bramble would be fighting it out for the 2 CB positions whilst Woodgate is forgotten about.

Robert's set-piece delivery (driven at pace) requires a gambling mindset from the attacking side,to cash in At times Robert's free kicks & corners were undefendable but the manager still needs to unleash the guys off-the-ball and attack the box, when defenders are beaten purely by penetration & flight of the free kick.

Roberts Left-peg,and natural ball-striking, was suited to an all-out attacking set-piece - Robson throwing everything at them. Whereas the Set-Penis, Pardew has too much of eye on defending the counter attack, reliant on 'one guy' winning a 'set-up' header while everybody else are not committed to attacking the box ala Speed et al.

I couldn't envision Robert following such a conservative script . Too audacious and way too instinctive a gambler, to not throw piercing  darts from a set-piece or corner. Robert = too difficult to manage, for a preacher of statistics whose definition of coaching  is likely to be hit 'play' button on the projector and drill into them the outlet options that Team X has when defending us.

Robert would shove back at this cowardly charlatan.

Guest firetotheworks

http://www.themag.co.uk/the-mag-articles/david-ginola-got-game-alan-pardew/

Good question. Wor Daveed would have been a bench warmer imo. Robert may not have got in the squad.

Robert guaranteed goals and assists. Pardew would have to start him.

As did Tevez and as does HBA when he's played. There's no way Pardew would play Ginola or Robert. Neither Dalglish nor Souness did and they're of the same ilk as Pardew.

On a related note, Souness is a decent pundit and often makes the point about how he was wrong about Robben, who he'd written off as lazy. I don't get why he's never transferred that admission into his job when he's been a manager.

Good question. Wor Daveed would have been a bench warmer imo. Robert may not have got in the squad.

As did Tevez and as does HBA when he's played. There's no way Pardew would play Ginola or Robert. Neither Dalglish nor Souness did and they're of the same ilk as Pardew.

On a related note, Souness is a decent pundit and often makes the point about how he was wrong about Robben, who he'd written off as lazy. I don't get why he's never transferred that admission into his job when he's been a manager.

Ben Arfa's a very good footballer and should start every game but he's never had a strong track record of getting goals and assists. Laurent Robert he isn't.

It's stuff like this that makes me want to see Ben Arfa go somewhere in the league where he plays every game. And is actively encouraged to express himself, without constantly worrying about whether he's doing a good enough job of tracking back!

Can't believe people doubt he would get a good amount of goals and assists.

No question that Pardew would drop Robert. He would drop any wide player that doesn't defend like Jonas, Gouff and Sissoko. He's always harping on about this stuff. He's obsessed by 'whether they can go the other way'.

He questioned Silva and Nasri's ability to do this before we played Man City, and before they promptly played us off the park. He's a Neanderthal.

Ben Arfa's a very good footballer and should start every game but he's never had a strong track record of getting goals and assists. Laurent Robert he isn't.

Absolutely, but he's without a doubt the player that would be involved in most goals in our club if he started every game. He scores a fair few, and assists above average. Obviously he's no Robert, no Solano either, but he's the most talented player in this squad. :thup:

Don't think Robert would have done much under Pardew. He had runs where he'd do nothing for a few games, like pretty much any flair player. He'd have been dropped, especially if Pardew had the squad we had then. Speed or Dyer on the left, I'd guess.

Even with our current squad he'd be frozen out, people really think a clown like Pardew would get performances from a player like Robert?

Don't think Robert would have done much under Pardew. He had runs where he'd do nothing for a few games, like pretty much any flair player. He'd have been dropped, especially if Pardew had the squad we had then. Speed or Dyer on the left, I'd guess.

Even with our current squad he'd be frozen out, people really think a clown like Pardew would get performances from a player like Robert?

:thup: Inclined to agree.  Pardew is averse to playing anyone that won't graft or put in a defensive shift.

:thup: Inclined to agree.  Pardew is averse to playing anyone that won't graft or put in a defensive shift.

If you remember Harry Redknapp's teams that often did well before he bankrupted everywhere he went; it was essentially always an outfield composition of eight big hulking monsters, a flair player and a nippy striker.

Pardew wants ten big hulking monsters.

About Souness: Arjen Robben has been a world class for about a decade now... ever writing him off says more about him than anything else.

At his core - Pardew is a defensive manager preferring grafters over skilfully players and Bobby is the opposite. Unless the manager is a clear step above, the latter is nearly always preferred by fans & ambitious owners.

If you remember Harry Redknapp's teams that often did well before he bankrupted everywhere he went; it was essentially always an outfield composition of eight big hulking monsters, a flair player and a nippy striker.

Pardew wants ten big hulking monsters.

Disagree like. Harry's always liked midfielders that could really play even if they where solid defensively. Basic a tackler, a passer (who could hold his own a bit) in the middle, pace out wide, a creator/quick lad & a big lad. That's a nice balanced side imo.

I liked the way he brought Modric central for Spurs.