Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

He didn't even touch the ball or hardly in the second half yesterday, which is a problem, but you gave all the possession to Arsenal so...

Best position for HBA would be a FREE role up front, with minor defensive duties. With such a position, he'd be able to switch position easily. I think to give him a precise/determinate role isn't quite a good idea.

Now, the question is if Pardew will be courageous and put Ba, Cisse and Ben arfa all three up front? Normally, NUFC has nothing to fear from Norwich so it could be a good opportunity to test the system on Sunday...

4-3-HBA-2 ?

That's the formation I would really like to see us use in the future. I really do think that we have the players to make it work. One can hope.....

Without quality fullbacks that formation is destined to fail.

Indeed. Hopefully summer will be a busy one for us in terms of incomings......

In terms of the full back situation, I would like to see one of the following:

- Sign a new RB and keep Santon at LB.

- Sign a new LB and move Santon to RB.

- Sign no-one but do this: Move Santon to RB and start Ferguson at LB or keep Santon at LB and start Tavernier at RB.

(I'm going to assume that Simpson is going to stay as back up btw, can see him being decent cover for a new RB/Santon).

Option 1 or 2 simply has to happen if he doesnt we will go backwards.

BTW you forgot option Pardew, give Simpson a new contract, Sell Santon and buy Paul Robinson  :lol:

Don't put him in the hole, play him as one of the front 3, each will drift wide or deep as needs and space dictate.

Yes, that's what I meant. One of the front 3 but with no special "role", like he'd be free to move where he wants and find space...

He hit the post against Citeh and won a pen at OT floating about in the middle.

It wasn't enough to get him in the team though. :okay:

Says it all (and just realised) that Ben Arfa now has the same amount of goals as Best. :lol:

But he should definately start on Sunday. I'd actually keep the same team (if Tiote is fit of course)

Not bring Cisse back?

I'd bring him on at HT if we're still drawing/losing. But i'd just keep the same team, with us at home, it should be a very attacking team, and the only person to really drop is Obertan, but at the same time he has pace, and was involved in us scoring at Arsenal.

In reality Cisse probably will start though.

This is why most people don't want to sit near you lot. No offence.

Very pleased with the way he has responded to not playing. Sounds like he's kept his head down and worked hard and been patient. Good to see.

agreed....seems to have matured alot more than his Lyon and Marseille days when he was pretty famous for a good whinge and falling out with coaches. Hope he starts more.....

3-4 astute first team signings in the summer added to what we've got ensuring we have a first 11 that can all play football with ben arfa fit after a full pre-season

exciting thought :megusta:

Most of the first eleven that we have now can play football though. The manager just choses to ignore this.

Says it all (and just realised) that Ben Arfa now has the same amount of goals as Best. :lol:

But he should definately start on Sunday. I'd actually keep the same team (if Tiote is fit of course)

Not bring Cisse back?

I'd bring him on at HT if we're still drawing/losing. But i'd just keep the same team, with us at home, it should be a very attacking team, and the only person to really drop is Obertan, but at the same time he has pace, and was involved in us scoring at Arsenal.

I'd agree with that. I like Cisse, but I'm not sure about his combination with Ba. It means Ba dropping deeper, and he doesn't really have the mobility for that secondary striker role. He ends up losing the ball a lot.

The formation against Arsenal looked promising and I'd give it another outing. In the first half, it seemed to bring out the best in HBA.

Not bring Cisse back?

I'd agree with that. I like Cisse, but I'm not sure about his combination with Ba. It means Ba dropping deeper, and he doesn't really have the mobility for that secondary striker role. He ends up losing the ball a lot.

The formation against Arsenal looked promising and I'd give it another outing. In the first half, it seemed to bring out the best in HBA.

Sorry, mate, but that's biggest load of bollocks you've spouted since you said Williamson was better than Coloccini.

I would go 4-3-3 against the Canaries.

Simpson - Willi-Colo-Santon

Tiote

Cabaye    Guthrie

Arfa (free role)

Ba

Cisse     

How can we justify signing a striker for 9m and not starting him against Norwich?

It bothers me that we seem to have four number 9's, and no-one who really looks the part as secondary striker in a 4-4-2. (Jury's still out on Ben Arfa) We'd all like to see Ba and Cisse in the same side, but maybe we have to go 4-3-3 for that.

From what I've seen so far, and admittedly it's early days, I've got my doubts in this area. Ba's reputation has been built on his goalscoring, not his link-up play, and we've bought another goalscorer. They don't yet look like a combination to me.

I'm with Ronaldo on this one. I'd argue that, in the final third, Ba keeps the ball better than anyone in the side. Unless he's receiving one of those balls that's burned up on re-entry. He's only half-decent, then.

What is also a bonus is that, whilst they may have similar traits (it's too early to tell where Cisse is concerned), they don't appear to be similar strikers. There's definitely a partnership there imo.

How can we justify signing a striker for 9m and not starting him against Norwich?

2 goals in 2 starts and a sub appearance at SJP. Apparently playing Obertan in the hole is a better option. :lol:

This really should be closely considered by every single person that calls themselves an nufc fan.

If we're going to play anybody in the role just off the strikers then we need to pass the ball through midfield.  I don't think the 'number 10' can really work with balls launched front to back, they need it played into feet where they can make some space and bring the strikers and wing backs into play.  If we're going to play the ball up to the frontmen off an orbiting satellite as we have been then we're better off just deploying two wingers rather than a number 10.

All of Ba's good performances have comes as a second striker, man. Christ.

That's not true at all like like. Both Ba and Cisse play best in a more advanced poacher role imo. Which is why I'm somewhat worried about their partnership. Playing Ba in a support role doesn't just diminish his attacking threat, it often results in our forward line getting detached from our ultra deep midfield.

Imo the way forward is to scrap our ineffective wing play. We don't need to play each game with four full backs. Give Hatem the free role upfront and move Jonas infield. Pardew's philosophy is rigid to the maximum though and such a formation requires a lot of fluidity in passing and movement, so it's fair to say that's never going to happen

I'm with Ronaldo on this one. I'd argue that, in the final third, Ba keeps the ball better than anyone in the side. Unless he's receiving one of those balls that's burned up on re-entry. He's only half-decent, then.

What is also a bonus is that, whilst they may have similar traits (it's too early to tell where Cisse is concerned), they don't appear to be similar strikers. There's definitely a partnership there imo.

It seemed to me very obvious on Monday that Shola was better than Ba when it came to holding on to the ball when under pressure. Not that Shola is the long-term answer, mind.

Many of us were hoping for a Bellamy-Beardsley type striker to add to what we had. Cisse looks like a good player, but I think there’s still a situation vacant. Cisse and Ba have different qualities, but to me they both look at their best in the more advanced striking position.

At the moment, it almost feels like we’re forced to play the ball long. As Loki said, a genuine Number 10 would really help us to keep the ball on the deck and build through the midfield.

I don't see how we're "forced to play the ball long" when non of our attacking players are suited to playing that way.

I'm sure Ba and Cisse can form a brilliant partnership, but we need to get the midfield closer to them and provide them with decent balls on the deck.