Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

Are England the only major nation taking 4 strikers? Everybody else seems to produce/understand the value of advanced midfielders to the point where they don't need to bring a long a load of centre forwards for the sake of it.

Does England produce many "advanced midfielders", though? Outside of bringing Johnson or Cole into the squad, I don't know what other attacking options you are talking about.

That's what I mean. I said we don't produce them.

We play in straight lines and as such the players we produce fall into that.

I still think England's personnel is most suited to a fairly defensive 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 like we played for large periods of last season. Another problem outside of the attacking players is that England don't produce true holding midfielders in the mold of the African destroyer or the southern European deep lying playmakers. Before his misfortune, I often suggested Muamba as a player for England. In this era, in which midfielders are separated into clearly attacking or defensive roles, you don't have many players. Cleverly and Wilshere may help fulfill the roles further forward, but it is worrying that both of them have been injured on such a consistent basis throughout their careers.

Are England the only major nation taking 4 strikers? Everybody else seems to produce/understand the value of advanced midfielders to the point where they don't need to bring a long a load of centre forwards for the sake of it.

Does England produce many "advanced midfielders", though? Outside of bringing Johnson or Cole into the squad, I don't know what other attacking options you are talking about.

That's what I mean. I said we don't produce them.

We play in straight lines and as such the players we produce fall into that.

I still think England's personnel is most suited to a fairly defensive 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 like we played for large periods of last season. Another problem outside of the attacking players is that England don't produce true holding midfielders in the mold of the African destroyer or the southern European deep lying playmakers. Before his misfortune, I often suggested Muamba as a player for England. In this era, in which midfielders are separated into clearly attacking or defensive roles, you don't have many players. Cleverly and Wilshere may help fulfill the roles further forward, but it is worrying that both of them have been injured on such a consistent basis throughout their careers.

I don't know if it's just part of his footballing education but Wenger seemed intent on Wilshere playing a deep role for Arsenal, and he was fantastic there last season. Truth is we could do with him becoming useful there but we could also do with him being the advanced midfielder it looked like he was going to be through youth ranks - and there's only one of him.

I am gutted at his injury problems over the last year. One of my favourite players to watch in the league and was one of the few exciting players that you could throw into the national team.

Guest frazernufc

Benzema indicating that Ben Arfa will surely be selected with this quote.

"At the Euros, I won't think about trying to be heroic or trying to do the whole job alone. I need all my team-mates to be good on the pitch," Benzema told L'Equipe.

"We all have a big desire, we talked about it and we will talk again. We have a good generation, it is up to us to play."

He added: "Jeremy Menez has had an amazing season, I had a lot of fun watching him playing at PSG. He will be the icing on the cake at the Euros.

"Hatem Ben Arfa is one of the very best in his position. I hope he will keep the same form. I know with him we can play together on the pitch with our eyes closed."

France seem to have a lot of talented wingers at the moment (even Malouda looked good when he came on the other night!), but the way Ben Arfa linked up with Debuchy and Benzema should almost guarantee him a place I would've thought.

Can't wait to see how we try to defend against him and Ribery/Menez :yao:

The Ben Arfa - Benzema combo in the first half and then the impact Ribery made when he came on 2nd half, you could see the players that were a level above the others. Menez and giroud notably mentions aswell. They do look dodgy at the back though. Haven't been convinced about evra for awhile now.

Really proud that a player like Ben Arfa plays for us. Just hope he doesn't play too well and Mourinho thinks about linking him with benzema for Real Madrid.

Ben Arfa vs Iceland {Nufc_Compilation}. Made by one of the posters here i guess? Cheers!

Some nice stuff!

Yeah just uploaded it :thup:

they keep deleting my compilations of Ben Arfa for us they never stay up longer then a few weeks... hopefully I'll have a few more to put up over Euro 2012.

Ben Arfa vs Iceland {Nufc_Compilation}. Made by one of the posters here i guess? Cheers!

Some nice stuff!

Yeah just uploaded it :thup:

they keep deleting my compilations of Ben Arfa for us they never stay up longer then a few weeks... hopefully I'll have a few more to put up over Euro 2012.

Have you used that music you use everytime, that gangster music.

Some nice stuff!

I still can't believe he plays for us, when you see the control in that video...ffs  :drool:

Ok, cheers! I've got a feeling that the front four against England will be:

Benzema

Ribery.      Ben Arfa        Menez

Just a hunch...

Nasri did what Nasri always does.... links up play, keeps possession well and keeps the moves flowing and didnt take any real risks to effect the game in the attacking third.

Although i think Ben Arfa could do a better job than Nasri can in the central role i have a feeling if France go with 4-2-3-1 then Ribery will play on the left, Nasri in the centre and Ben Arfa will battle with Menez for the spot on the right.

Whether that's the right decision or not i think that's what Blanc will do.

Guest je85

Nasri did what Nasri always does.... links up play, keeps possession well and keeps the moves flowing and didnt take any real risks to effect the game in the attacking third.

Although i think Ben Arfa could do a better job than Nasri can in the central role i have a feeling if France go with 4-2-3-1 then Ribery will play on the left, Nasri in the centre and Ben Arfa will battle with Menez for the spot on the right.

Andy Brassell seems to think it'll be this also, however with Valbuena or HBA on the right hand side.

He also mentions that he'd love to see a 4-4-1-1 with Nasri dropped and Benzema off Giroud but that it is highly unlikely to happen.

Valbuena? wouldnt suprise me as Blanc loves him but he would be an extremely safe option as like Nasri he keeps position well but doesnt really try anything extraordinary to break down defences....

As for the 4-4-1-1 idea i do find it very doubtful but at the same time i wouldnt be suprised to see it used against teams that will play extremely defensively against them i.e group stages.

Guest hatem garrincha

i have a feeling if France go with 4-2-3-1 then Ribery will play on the left, Nasri in the centre and Ben Arfa will battle with Menez for the spot on the right.

I think so.

On the right, the battle will be between Valbuena, Ben Arfa and Menez, and Nasri in a 4-4-2, with Giroud.

Hatem linked very well with Benzema yesterday, but I thought he tried to play with him too much.

At times, he could have tried something else, pass the ball to a partner in a better position than Karim,  he had also several occasions of shots or to go alone that he didn't take. Briefly, I found him too "shy". Certainly with the idea of breaking his reputation of "greedy" player (in France)

Yesterday was a good opportunity for him to warrant his place definitely in the starting XI and I thought he missed it.

Some nice stuff!

How fucking good is he man? Totally comes into his own there when he's playing with better players if you like. Just his touch and movement is out of this world.