Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

It's hardly a shocking statement tbf, Jonas is better in CM.

On the basis of what exactly here? I'm assuming if he was a better CM than winger, a club, manager, coach would have picked this up and played him regularly in this position before the ripe age of 29.

It's hardly a shocking statement tbf, Jonas is better in CM.

On the basis of what exactly here? I'm assuming if he was a better CM than winger, a club, manager, coach would have picked this up and played him regularly in this position before the ripe age of 29.

Because he has lost some of his pace and now CM suits him much more. His close control, ball carrying abilities, possession recycling, tackling, interceptions, quick and incisive passing all suit a CM.

He does fantastically well as a defensive winger ala Ramires but going forward he doesn't create enough any more so he's suited in the middle a lot more.

Doesn't mean he's useless as a winger ( far from it in fact) but his skill set suits a CM more than a winger.

In a 4-4-2 he's a winger and one of the first names on the team sheet, there's absolutely no debate to be had about that as far as I'm concerned.

Agree with that, my basis was on the scenario we go with a different system like 4-3-3 where he's a better midfielder in that system than he his a winger.

I feel 4-4-2 restricts his game and a prime example of this was the home game against Man City at the back end of last season. Every time he got the ball it was more in our own half as he was playing far too deep. So whenever he tried to take on Clichy as it was over such a long stretch of the field Clichy beat him for pace every time.

Compare this to the 4-3-3 where he gets the ball further up the pitch and he can do what he does best, as there's probably not a better playing the league at beating somebody in tight situations in and around the box. You only have to look at what he done to Enrique when we played Liverpool to see that. In all his time playing for us I cannot remember an opposition player ever giving him as a torrid a time as he saw that day.

I feel 4-4-2 restricts his game and a prime example of this was the home game against Man City at the back end of last season. Every time he got the ball it was more in our own half as he was playing far too deep. So whenever he tried to take on Clichy as it was over such a long stretch of the field Clichy beat him for pace every time.

Compare this to the 4-3-3 where he gets the ball further up the pitch and he can do what he does best, as there's probably not a better playing the league at beating somebody in tight situations in and around the box. You only have to look at what he done to Enrique when we played Liverpool to see that. In all his time playing for us I cannot remember an opposition player ever giving him as a torrid a time as he saw that day.

Yeah but Enrique had a poor season.

Yeah but Enrique had a poor season.

He was poor towards the back end of the season which yes was around the time we played them. However for the first half of the season he was their best player.

He might offer more going forward in a 4-3-3, but his defensive cover in the wings (especially early doors when we had either a make-shift left back or a rookie Santon) was invaluable at times last season. I don't think there's any need to say he's definitely better here than there, one of his main strengths is his versatilely, horses for courses and all that.

Baffled to people now thinking Jonas is a better CM than winger and that's where he should play. Yes obviously in 4-3-3 formation he slots inside but that's because he isn't good enough as a forward to play up top in a 3 and never has been but he is effective still playing in a 3 man midfield. There's still no doubt though that his best position and best performances come out wide in a 4-4-2 much to where he will play this season. He's an integral member of this team but to think he's now best as CM for what ever reason is complete and utter nonsense imo.

Well that's pretty much a given considering there's nee wingers in a 4-3-3. :lol:

4-3-3 was just an example, obviously the wide berths in the front 3 would be taken up by forwards more than wingers.

If i bring up every system we could possibly use i'd say in 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1, 4-3-1-2 he would be better as a CM but in 4-4-2 he's better as a winger, but overall i prefer him in the middle as his skillsets as a player fits that role better IMO.

In a 4-4-2 he's a winger and one of the first names on the team sheet, there's absolutely no debate to be had about that as far as I'm concerned.

In a 4-4-2 he is a winger yes, but a very ordinary one. I think he looks much better suited to being one of the three in a 4-3-3.

He just doesn't carry anywhere near enough offensive threat out wide, something you need your wide men to do in any system. In three years in the Premiership with us he's got 5 goals and 10 assists, that's absolutely wank tbf. I know statistics aren't the be all and end all but I don't think you'd argue that he's a player that really worries teams.

I get that he does great work defensively, but that shouldn't excuse him being more or less hopeless in the final third. It's a major part of being a winger and he really comes up short.

He's a great squad player and against the really top teams where you're going to be under pressure he's wonderful, and if we're going to be fielding a 4-3-3 then I'd have no problems with Jonas regularly starting in CM, but if we're going to try and revert to a 4-4-2 then I hope that Marveaux takes his spot on the left pretty quickly tbh.

I think the Jonas in the first season here has obvioulsy lost that same explosive acceleration and a step or 2 of his pace over the years which may have set him apart as a much better attacking threat than he is now.