Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

You should never blame injuries, but there's no way in hell we'd be in this situation had him and Cabaye been fit. Think we'd be at least up with Fulham, West Ham and Norwich so I'm not saying they're miracle workers, just the difference between Pardew doing a crap job and a s*** job.

The injuries are no excuse for the results we've had against lesser teams.

Is that not what I've pretty much said? Just think these two alone despite us being bad are worth 4-5 points.

You should never blame injuries, but there's no way in hell we'd be in this situation had him and Cabaye been fit. Think we'd be at least up with Fulham, West Ham and Norwich so I'm not saying they're miracle workers, just the difference between Pardew doing a crap job and a s*** job.

The injuries are no excuse for the results we've had against lesser teams.

We have had some shit, shocking, woeful performances where we have been unable to pass. We have had some abysmal subs and over cautious decisions which have ended up costing us.

Our missing players have played a big part too mind. Players like Williamson, Obertan and Shola have played far too much. Players like Cabaye, Saylor and HBA have played far too little.

As said in the Pardew thread, we have addressed half the problem. Now it's up to him (the other half) to prove he can get the best out of a good, complete side.

I honestly think he will do it. He's a confidence manager (which isn't a good thing as the main decision maker tbh) so working with a weak squad is something he was always going to massively struggle with.

We have had some s***, shocking, woeful performances where we have been unable to pass. We have had some abysmal subs and over cautious decisions which have ended up costing us.

Our missing players have played a big part too mind. Players like Williamson, Obertan and Shola have played far too much. Players like Cabaye, Saylor and HBA have played far too little.

As said in the Pardew thread, we have addressed half the problem. Now it's up to him (the other half) to prove he can get the best out of a good, complete side.

I honestly think he will do it. He's a confidence manager (which isn't a good thing as the main decision maker tbh) so working with a weak squad is something he was always going to massively struggle with.

I agree with most of that except for your faith in Pardew, I do hope that you're right though as it will be much better for us if he turns us around.  I don't think he's flexible enough to get the best out of what we've got but this isn't the right thread.

What people forget is the margins of our victories last season were always slim with only WBA away and Stoke at home being anything close to comfortable... Doesn't take many injuries and other teams strengthing for that slight balance to change... Just because we finished 5th a lot of people on here go on as if we smashed a load of teams...

Pardew:

He’s our best player, perhaps outside of Hatem, certainly our most influential midfield player

Sure he's not talking about Cabaye?

He is talking about Cabaye and says that he's our best player, and then hints that Ben Arfa might be better than him when he says "perhaps outside of Hatem."  I find it reassuring that Pardew rates Ben Arfa so highly.

Absolutely. Although it'd take someone really special to not see that Hatem is our most talented player.

What people forget is the margins of our victories last season were always slim with only WBA away and Stoke at home being anything close to comfortable... Doesn't take many injuries and other teams strengthing for that slight balance to change... Just because we finished 5th a lot of people on here go on as if we smashed a load of teams...

Yeah but we were very comfortable at the back a lot of the time, didn't feel too nervous like we do now from set pieces in particular

Hatem on Telefoot this morning : He explains that when he says he would want to play for PSG it was not a "come and get me" declaration and says again that he would stay at Newcastle if the club was ambitious and do all the things to keep him."

Guest VanBarduck

They are now speaking days and not weeks for his return according to Telefoot , anyway should be confirm by an other source before we're starting to celebrate .

They are now speaking days and not weeks for his return according to Telefoot , anyway should be confirm by an other source before we're starting to celebrate .

'return' is a broad brush though. return to games or return to full training ?

Yeah but we were very comfortable at the back a lot of the time, didn't feel too nervous like we do now from set pieces in particular

You obviously don't remember hanging on against Fulham, Wigan, Norwich, Wolves, Villa and Everton all at home and that's just off the top of my head...

You obviously don't remember hanging on against Fulham, Wigan, Norwich, Wolves, Villa and Everton all at home and that's just off the top of my head...

i don't really remember us hanging on in those games as much as the oppo had some chances, usually when level. we saw out most of the home wins quite comfortably, more comfortably than the crowd seemed to realise at times.

Yup thats been my argument regarding Pardew to alot of people. I genuinely can't remember the time we've played well in both halves under him. We are abject or downright abysmal in at least one half of every match. Its why we didn't hammer any teams last year unlike under Hughton, despite having generally better players.

Graham Carr on Hatem : "Hatem was a player that I watch for 6-7 years. I would have never thought he would play for Newcastle one day. He has the level to play for the best team."

Hatem also say that they often discuss together (Graham Carr and him) about French players. Hatem thinks that the reason that Newcastle has so many French players is because him and Cabaye gave a good image of the club.

Certainly gives us that extra bit of a chance if we can bring him off the bench for 20 mins against Spurs (if the match is still close by then). Previously I'd say we had no chance whatsoever of getting anything there. In fact we'll still probably lose but we'll go there as a very different team with Sissoko, Mbiwa et al and be able to give them a decent game.

Guest VanBarduck

I knew  it  :smitten: I think he'll be back this week at Newcastle , maybe tooo short for Chelsea , but I definitely see him make the bench for Spurs game

We will depend on the return of Cabaye and Ben Arfa to contribute their fair share of goals since Cisse has been struggling and we do not know what impact Gouffran will have. Reckon goals will also come from Sissoko and MYM too. Will be nice to have goals from all over the park than to rely hugely on a single player.