Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

Ben Arfa appears 'frustrating' sometimes because he's actually willing to push forward, try and beat men and put a ball in or have a dig rather than take the safe option of passing sideways or backwards.  We need at least some players willing to risk failure.

This is the guy who decided not to pass to Danny Simpson for an entire season. I don't think his decision making is as bad as its made out to be. I think if there is a good pass on he takes it. If there isn't he won't.

It's hardly a big problem nor does it preclude him from being a good player. He does try to do too much sometimes but I think if the team moves away from their static play you will see him distribute the ball more often.

I don't think he's selfish or overly flashy. He wants the team to win and he works hard for the team - no doubt. It's a footballing maturity/decision making issue with the blind alley runs when he dribbles instead of passes.

If his decision making was better and he could stay injury-free he would be a world beater

Not what i mean.... playing like a kid in school yard when you are a professional is not a good thing.

Professional's are supposed to have things like decision making and tactical discipline, it is a weakness of Hatem tbh that he's not a very mature footballer.

Don't get me wrong he's great but the fact he plays like a kid in a playground is one of the reasons he's so frustrating and joyful in equal measure and why he plays for us and not a CL club.

Very true. If I said this people would moan and complain.

I don't know how true this is TBH. It's not like he only plays for himself, doing loads of backheels and tricks and giving the ball away all the time. He just dribbles a bit too much, that's about it. And it's partly because he believes he can make something happen and partly because of the lack of good options around him.

This thing about him being maverick and not a team player etc is often exaggerated IMO.

:thup:

He works his socks off too, and contributes defensively as well. He's our best player by a mile. My only "problem" with him is he is quite injury prone, but he wouldn't even be here if he wasn't.

starting to believe he has put on muscle/weight on purpose to that he is stronger physically and help avoid injuries? I've heard a few players say that before, not sure if it's true like or just an excuse for getting fatter but I've definitely heard others say it before.

Guest Haris Vuckic

This is the guy who decided not to pass to Danny Simpson for an entire season. I don't think his decision making is as bad as its made out to be. I think if there is a good pass on he takes it. If there isn't he won't.

It's hardly a big problem nor does it preclude him from being a good player. He does try to do too much sometimes but I think if the team moves away from their static play you will see him distribute the ball more often.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yes he sometimes tries too much when taking the entire team on his own or always trying to nutmeg and dribble past players but that is him and he is not the same player without him doing what he loves doing on the pitch. Players like him make the difference between drawing the game and winning it like he did last week against Fulham and like he has done before against Bolton and Blackburn.

I certainly don't think we can win many games with 10 Ben Arfas in the team but having a one Ben Arfa always in the team can be the difference between 90 minutes of drawing/loosing or 85 minutes of frustration and weeks of joy afterwards.

For all the talk of his decision-making, I thought he got it spot on in the second half. He mixed up his crossing and chose better times to run at the opposition. He's shown that when in a decent team (when we finished 5th) he makes generally good decisions. I hope that what we saw in that 45 vs. Fulham continues.

I also think once Shola went off and Remy came on Ben Arfa moved few gears up and started to mix his moves more and made much better crosses and passing decisions. The whole team for god sake went few gears up after Remy replaced Shola.

This lad can do whatever the fuck he wants on the pitch in my eyes. Couldn't give a fuck if he loses the ball alot. Hate it when the crowd get on his back if he has the ball for more than three seconds. He is an absolute magician. He is everything I want a footballer to be and if I was a footballer I'd basically want to be him. He is THE very definition of a flair player. It will kill me when he goes.

This lad can do whatever the fuck he wants on the pitch in my eyes. Couldn't give a fuck if he loses the ball alot. Hate it when the crowd get on his back if he has the ball for more than three seconds. He is an absolute magician. He is everything I want a footballer to be and if I was a footballer I'd basically want to be him. He is THE very definition of a flair player. It will kill me when he goes.

Bang on.

Guest Killuminati

This lad can do whatever the f*** he wants on the pitch in my eyes. Couldn't give a f*** if he loses the ball alot. Hate it when the crowd get on his back if he has the ball for more than three seconds. He is an absolute magician. He is everything I want a footballer to be and if I was a footballer I'd basically want to be him. He is THE very definition of a flair player. It will kill me when he goes.

this made me cum