Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

Yeah I wonder if he got mouthy at half time or if he was injured because I can't help feel we would have been even better 2nd half if he had stayed on instead of Tiote or Sissoko and put back in his best position. Still don't get why he hasn't been allowed to have a go at baines for 2 seasons running now.

Guest icemanblue

Didn't look interested in being in our own half at all. Didn't want to pass the ball when he was in theirs. You can argue about the reasons for this all you want, but it's simply not good enough. He'll play this weekend, but, we need so much more from him.

Really poor again - not sure what's happened to the lad.

It really is as simple as that he's playing under a manager who cannot get the consistent best out of him beyond Ben Arfa choosing to cut inside and shoot.

I was shaking my head in disbelief at the weekend when I listened to 606 and the presenters said it was "baffling" that the players who'd walked the title now looked so poor under a different manager, when to me that's not baffling in the slightest, in fact I'd only have been baffled if that hadn't happened.

The manager is by far and away the most important person at any football club. Everything the team does, from movement to mentality, comes from that one man and we've got a League 1/League 2 standard manager in charge of Premier League players. People can have a pop at the players all you like but put Pardew into any of the other 19 clubs in the division and in three years time, I'll show you what you watched tonight.

:thup: Great post.

"Credit Pardew for pulling him off" - Get your heed oot your arse man. How's about trying to get the best out of arguably our most creative player. How's about setting the team up so that when he receives the ball, trying to beat the two men marking him is not his only option. Aye, credit Pardew :idiot2: :idiot2:

Guest bimpy474

Well done to Pardew for playing him out of position and taking him off. Quality management.

Why did Ben Arfa play so well LM when we beat Everton 0-1. Better management or a one off performance. Genuinely puzzled by that game as he doesn't look comfortable down the left at all.

Guest bimpy474

was his full debut, new to the league, so opponents didnt know him as well. Was more agile and quick pre-leg break and basically just had an epic game.

All very true but does that show he can play LM or it was just a freak one off good day. I think he can play there myself, a tactic with better movement (obviously need rid of Pardew for that to happen, and have a better manager in) would suit him immensely.

I'm really confused by this. I bet Baines (who fwiw wasn't very good tonight) couldn't believe his luck when he saw Ben Arfa on the other side. Ben Arfa, on the left, was consistently going to try to get onto his strongest foot, which played straight into the hands of Coleman as it sent him onto Coleman's stronger side - not to mention Coleman's pretty quick himself.

Just plain weird. You could also argue Coleman is a better defender than Baines, so for that reason as well why he didn't line up on the right and attack at Baines I don't know.

I'm really confused by this. I bet Baines (who fwiw wasn't very good tonight) couldn't believe his luck when he saw Ben Arfa on the other side. Ben Arfa, on the left, was consistently going to try to get onto his strongest foot, which played straight into the hands of Coleman as it sent him onto Coleman's stronger side - not to mention Coleman's pretty quick himself.

Just plain weird. You could also argue Coleman is a better defender than Baines, so for that reason as well why he didn't line up on the right and attack at Baines I don't know.

Especially once Baines was on a yellow card.

Well done to Pardew for playing him out of position and taking him off. Quality management.

Why did Ben Arfa play so well LM when we beat Everton 0-1. Better management or a one off performance. Genuinely puzzled by that game as he doesn't look comfortable down the left at all.

I thought he did quite well today tbh, looked probably our best bet in the first half. You can't win matches as individuals though, you need to have some pattern as a team, and we hardly touched the ball in the first 45 mins.

Guest bimpy474

I thought he did quite well today tbh, looked probably our best bet in the first half. You can't win matches as individuals though, you need to have some pattern as a team, and we hardly touched the ball in the first 45 mins.

Yep and has been said so many times, we have no pattern at all. Movement all around Ben Arfa would see him thrive imo. Not the static defensive shit we saw in the first half tonight.

Take the blinkers off mate.... he was f*cking awful, everytime he got the ball he lost it almost immediately.

Not his fault really though, we know he can't play on the left and we basically nullified our best player just to cover Baines who didn't do much of note anyway.

Classic Pardew.

Guest hatem garrincha

And in many occasions he was free, waiting for a ball that didn't come

Everytime he tried to control the ball it bounced off him.  He had zero impact and had a terrible game.

In saying that, I'm still blaming Pardew more.  What clueless dickhead puts a creative player who thrives cutting in from the right in a 4-4-3, left wing in a 4-4-2.  Absolute joke.

http://i.imgur.com/w73ZHbT.gif

Everytime he tried to control the ball it bounced off him.  He had zero impact and had a terrible game.

In saying that, I'm still blaming Pardew more.  What clueless dickhead puts a creative player who thrives cutting in from the right in a 4-4-3, left wing in a 4-4-2.  Absolute joke.

Did you watch the game? this is flat out not true. He lost it once or twice but more times than he lost it he got round the outside of Coleman and the one time he switched with Sissoko to go central he beat his man and had a decent shot.

Pardew taking him off could be a number of things: he got mouthy at halftime and questioned tactics?, he was injured?, or pardew was annoyed with his selfishness and/or lack of work ethic. He was the only player trying to make something happen for us in that first half.

The fact it's been 2 years running now that Pardew has refused to play him in his usual position because he's scared of Baines really annoys me. For 1, once baines was on a yellow card Ben Arfa should have been switched immediately to try and get him sent off by taking him on. Secondly if he was so scared of what Baines would do going forward surely him having Ben Arfa behind him would have meant he couldn't attack as much anyway.

Guest icemanblue

Has played well on the left before and should be able to again. Obviously Pardew SUCKS ALL DA QUALITY FROM OUR PLAYERS but Ben Arfa had one of his off days tonight.

Things improved when he came off. I say this as a Hatem fanboy.

Aye, not too many complaints before the game. The fact we improved dramatically after he went off should show enough. Far too greedy with the ball last night, and his only passes were touches back to the player he'd received the ball from. Coleman had him in his pocket, and ghosted by him a good couple of times, for good measure.