Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

Agree with toondave. I am more comfortable with sissoko on the right, even though hatem is simply unplayable in 2nd half

Aye, I think so too. He does actually do the tracking back when playing wide right but you can just tell he doesn't have the defensive awareness to be very effective at it, there's a lot more to covering your fullback than just being there.

How would the older posters say he compares in terms of pure natural talent to Beardsley and Gascoigne?

The big difference for me is that the two you mention were much more relaxed on the pitch, Ben Arfa always strikes me as a player who feels he has to do everything on his own and is always playing under pressure.

I'm not sure he has the level of self confidence that the other two had but he's got the skills to match them.

IMO the skills make half the player, the true greats didn't really make use of their skill very often, it was their intelligence off and with the ball. HBA has none :/

How would the older posters say he compares in terms of pure natural talent to Beardsley and Gascoigne?

Both produced more imo, tho I tthink they both benefited from playing in a slower, if more fouling era.

Beardsley was far more of creative player, making chances for team mates, best part of his game was killer passes to his striking partner. I think Andy cole and Gary Lineker quite liked him.

Gazza, for me put more on the end of his dribbling. Hba still flatters to decieve for me.

No offence but some people here are talking pure bollocks like.

He set up the first goal, set up the third, won a penalty and hit the post twice in 90 minutes.

If theres any problem, it's how we (read Pardew) are using, or not using him.

Beardsley > Ben Arfa > Gascoigne

My first game was just over 30 years ago when we beat Man City 5-0 at home... How times have changed... :lol:

Shoulder barged the linesman :lol:

I wax at the match with a couple of family members who are Everton fans. I spent the day leading up to the match talking about Ben Arfa and telling them how lucky they were to see him. I was as smug as Pards at full time.

:serious:

:scared:

Beardsley > Ben Arfa > Gascoigne

My first game was just over 30 years ago when we beat Man City 5-0 at home... How times have changed... :lol:

we were fantastic in that game- thier keeper had a blinder as well. Beardsley got 3 was outstanding , think it was his first full 90mins for us? Waddle and keegan with the other goals?

In terms of skill on the ball, I'd say he's ahead of Beardsley and at least the equal of Gazza.

But the other two earned their places as automatic starters because they made a better overall contribution. Both applied themselves with effort and concentration over the whole 90 minutes. Ben Arfa still seems to operate in flashes.

But thinking of yesterday, what a shame it would be if we didn't see this lad fulfil his potential. He's touched by genius.

Guest firetotheworks

Beardsley is still the best player that I've seen player for Newcastle. HBA is more naturally gifted, definitely, but Beardsley had the better mixture of attributes. His goal scoring, consistency and work ethic were all better.

The team in my sig would get torn to shreds, but going forward they'd be insane.

Shoulder barged the linesman :lol:

I wax at the match with a couple of family members who are Everton fans. I spent the day leading up to the match talking about Ben Arfa and telling them how lucky they were to see him. I was as smug as Pards at full time.

:serious:

:scared:

:pokerface: :megusta:

Guest Haris Vuckic

@WhoScored: Hatem Ben Arfa: Dribbled past as many opponents (10) against Stoke as every other player on the pitch combined #NUFC

Beardsley is still the best player that I've seen player for Newcastle. HBA is more naturally gifted, definitely, but Beardsley had the better mixture of attributes. His goal scoring, consistency and work ethic were all better.

The team in my sig would get torn to shreds, but going forward they'd be insane.

beardsley's vision was the thing that sets them miles apart imho

He'd clearly been told to stay fairly deep when Stoke were in possession and to drop back towards right back if Debuchy made a run past him.  He did that quite conscientiously and create a few chances on the few occasions he did get forward.  Couple of excellent balls in behind for Sissoko and Debuchy and beat a couple to get a dangerous cross in before the sendings off  After the sendings off he was obviously unplayable, but not because he had less players marking him, he had no problem with that in the first half.  The difference was the amount of times he was allowed to get forward and pick the ball up near Stokes 18 yard area.  In the second half he had far less defensive responsibility, and so he regularly picked the ball up well inside Stokes half, with the obvious consequence that he tore them a new anus.

Excellent overall, set up three and was extremely unlucky not the score two himself.  If Pardews can allow him some freedom and wants to go at Arsenal from the off then he has to start.  But if he's going to go with keeping it very tight and orginised then attack in the last 30 mins (which is almost definitely what he'll do) then it might be best to save Ben Arfa till the second half.  Not because he can't be orginised, because he was against Stoke, but because he's really wasted being so deep all the time.