Liverpool vs Newcastle United - 30/12/11 @ 7.45pm (live on Sky) pre-match thread

Dave

This is my derby, man. There isn't a Mackem in sight where I live, but god damn are there plentiful of loudmouth Liverpool-supporting c***s. They've always crushed us and so I've not had much to say, but this year, for the first time in a good 8 or so years, we're level with them in the table and we look capable of matching them on the pitch. I'm buzzing.

This, practically all my football supporting mates support Liverpool.

Seen a few say they hate Liverpool than Sunderland, it's a thinker as an outsider but thinking about Sunderland being so dominant in the fixture especially at their place (won 2-0, 2-0, 3-0, 3-0, 3-0) it would be far more horrific.

99 percent sure Best will start,

why?

because we are going to lump the ball forward to Best and Ba again in a 4-4-2.

Reason being,  because there is absolutely no way Pardew will go toe-to-toe with liverpool and out pass them, no way.  His method will have him tell our team,

"liverpool are a better passing side than us, we will combat that with direct balls, get to the flanks and cross early as possible, pump the ball from deep when we can, disrupt their passing game"

For once I got no problem with that, however I do have a problem when we play teams like qpr, wba, swansea, bolton, norwich, we have to resort to this solution. 

it's going to be a tough game for us no mistake about that, and i cant see carroll's bad luck continuing much longer. 

Liverpool aren't a better passing side than us though.

wont stop pardew from telling our team that though will it?

I agree completely. You said you're happy to go with that for today though.

Agree with your point however. Our players are much better when we keep it down, we've got a quality central midfield, arguably the finest ball playing centre half in the league, wingers who prefer to pass and play 1-2s to get in behind rather than whip crosses in, a striker who is absolutely deadly with the ball at his feet and a playmaker/whatever you want to call it of immense talent. There's no reason or logic to keep pumping long balls at Leon Best.

We will though.

Agree with your point however. Our players are much better when we keep it down, we've got a quality central midfield, arguably the finest ball playing centre half in the league, wingers who prefer to pass and play 1-2s to get in behind rather than whip crosses in, a striker who is absolutely deadly with the ball at his feet and a playmaker/whatever you want to call it of immense talent. There's no reason or logic to keep pumping long balls at Leon Best.

We will though.

We'll get nothing playing like that.

they've got some great players for that side of the game in Lucas and Suarez...

Precisely. We'll not get a better chance than tonight to do them on their own patch.

We can definitely get something from this game and I'd be disappointed if we get beat tonight. Liverpool are missing Suarez and we will be able to put out a strong first eleven. I just hope we go there to win and don't pay them more respect than they deserve.

We will though.

i agree with playing the ball long tonight due to circumstances, 

Liverpool are a decent passing team, whether they are better than us or not is a bit redundant, considering we been blasting it long for 3-4 games on the trot , that fact we wont even pass the ball short vs teams like norwich, bolton, wba.  means there's absolutely no way we are going to start doing it tonight. 

they work the ball from the back to the front, their weakness are mostly dealing with crosses and long balls, as both their fullbacks are poor headers of the ball.  that leave us with 2vs2  ba and best vs their centrebacks.  its a logical solution for this game. 

however we should sit deep, not high up on the pitch and lay them long balls upfield as we dont want to be caught with the pace of bellars as they counter attack.

Pardew deserves a bit more credit. He is good at motivating our team. He just hasnt got the the full resources he would like to work with. After all two of his best players will be turning out for the opposition tonight.

They will make all the difference between the 2 sides, Potentially horrendous to watch.

they've got some great players for that side of the game in Lucas and Suarez...

Precisely. We'll not get a better chance than tonight to do them on their own patch.

yep, big chance for us to get something, which means we won't.

TBF to Liverpool I've seen them play some great stuff under Dalglish but they're a bit Jeykll and Hyde and I think those two players are by far their most important in terms of getting them playing fluent footy on the ground and unravelling a side with brilliant football.

The likes of Henderson, Adam, Downing, Shelvey and even Gerrard and Carroll, are good, dangerous players but they're more about end product in the final third, and not players who really grip a game and determine its tempo. they're more likely to twat a long, diagonal pass into the box or get on the end of a chance than they are to all combine with one another to control possession or pull apart a side with tiki-taka.

Mind you we've hardly been great on the ball this season. For all the big talk Pardew gave in pre-season about a new style of play we've probably regressed in terms of keeping control of the ball.

i agree with playing the ball long tonight due to circumstances, 

Liverpool are a decent passing team, whether they are better than us or not is a bit redundant, considering we been blasting it long for 3-4 games on the trot , that fact we wont even pass the ball short vs teams like norwich, bolton, wba.  means there's absolutely no way we are going to start doing it tonight. 

they work the ball from the back to the front, their weakness are mostly dealing with crosses and long balls, as both their fullbacks are poor headers of the ball.  that leave us with 2vs2  ba and best vs their centrebacks.  its a logical solution for this game. 

however we should sit deep, not high up on the pitch and lay them long balls upfield as we dont want to be caught with the pace of bellars as they counter attack.

Our circumstances don't dictate that we play long ball and it's shit when we do.

Pardew deserves a bit more credit. He is good at motivating our team. He just hasnt got the the full resources he would like to work with. After all two of his best players will be turning out for the opposition tonight.

They will make all the difference between the 2 sides, Potentially horrendous to watch.

None of his players will be turning out for the opposition tonight.

I totally agree about our passing Johnny. I think we're less of a passing side at the moment under Pardew than we were under Hughton. Losing Enrique affected our passing a lot and we're lumping the ball forward far too much at the moment. Think Cabaye and Santon can be instrumental in making us a passing team, both HBA and Vuckic as well but whether they'll ever all play in the same team or not...