Newcastle United 3 - 0 Man Utd - 04/01/12 - Post-match reaction from page 43

Mike

Best performance I've seen from an opposing team bar Barcelona for the last three years.

Found this on redcafe

:snod:

Plenty of people here in Birmingham said today how impressive we were and how much we outplayed them.

What does everyone think of the penalty incident ? I know it hardly matters now like :lol:

Versus anyone else than manchester united its a penalty.  Replays confirm this. However, who cares, rather have a dodgy one given later !

What does everyone think of the penalty incident ? I know it hardly matters now like :lol:

Versus anyone else than manchester united its a penalty.  Replays confirm this. However, who cares, rather have a dodgy one given later !

Or maybe the last time we played them............

Considerably, nay infinitely less said about this particular Ferdinand challenge compared to the one at OT which seemed to captivate the entire planet for a whole weekend.

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Was great. A few points though:

The players were very motivated. Credit to the manager, staff and the players themselves. They closed Manu down relentlessly, denied them space and time (for the most part).

Pardew. In my humble opinion this was not a tactical master class. Clearly our game plan was to deny them time, don't dally on the ball ourselves and get it to the big men asap. Harrass them, keep a high line but put pressure on the ball so they can't find a clever pass because if they get in behind us, we're in trouble. As we started to tire, around 65 mins in, we couldn't pressure the ball as well. Then we see the ball over the top for Wellbeck that caught Colo out but Wellbeck miscontroled (luckily).

I reckon if Allardyce had been our manger still, he would have wanted us to play exactly how we did.

As Rednose said in his post match chat, we didn't tear them to shreds and he's right we didn't. We weren't working their keeper particularly. We had a couple of nice moves (Shola's ball to Ba that should have ended in a penaly) but on the whole, our 2 goals were wonder strikes that no one could have stopped. For the first, the ball skims of Shola's head, the ball bounced nicely for Ba who put in a truly cracking shot. Cabaye's freekick is a goal every day of the week, no one is stopping that. Tbh though, i reckon they were better around our box than we were around there's, which is probably to be expected given they have mostly better players (think Tiote and Cabaye will outplay Carrick and Giggs 9 out of 10) and a better manager.

I don't think Ba and Shola raped Ferdinand and Jones for most of the game, they certainly gave them a challenge but they didn't dominate them. Our strikers would have had more shots in the box if we had.

If you think to the first 20 mins, they really had some moments. Also, Simpson's block in the 2nd half was tremendous but those kind of things always have an element of fortune about them.

We won because of Manu's team selection, maybe Nani on the left, Valencia on the right, Fabio and RB and Hernandez to start might haver been better for them. We won because Manu like to play through the middle but our middle 2 are better athletically and also very technically adept.

We won because of 2 cracking shots of a quality which won't be repeated every week.

We won because of our attitude which is to our credit and simple tactics of starve the opposition of time and bang it down field at the first opportunity and see if we get lucky.