NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

Torn. In a lot of respects a model pro but despite claiming he was desperate to play he was very reluctant to drop any of his ludicrous wage to allow us to loan him out. We ended up still paying him most of it for this loan didn't we?

I have to say though, there is this strange train of thought that only good players can become good coaches/managers. Given the playing careers of a lot of the top managers I think It's clear that isnt the case.

Guest VaVaVoom

Very harsh tbh.

Everyone at the club speaks highly of Smith, he's clearly well thought of and I wouldn't have a problem at all about him joining the coaching staff.

Agreed.

Loved him as a player at leads, Sir Alex fucked him after his injury and peddled him to us. It wasnt his fault he was utter shite in our shirt. Having said that i thought he was important during our season in the Championship.

Always liked him as a person and his commitment.

Id have no problem with him being a coach at the club.

I don't get the Smith hate personally like. Granted, he's a very limited footballer. But in the Championship season, especially the first 10/15 games when everything was up in arms, he stood up and was counted. Was a very influential person to have around the place and really battled hard on the pitch despite obvious limitations. He will leave with my thanks when he does go, its not like he was happy to sit on the bench ala Owen/Duff/Viduka.

He's a great bloke, blah blah blah. I'd be a great bloke as well if I was getting paid £60,000 a week to essentially keep fit and train with professional footballers.

What's he done wrong though? He probably knows he is wank at football, but you can't deny he served us well when we needed him. He will leave in the summer, but I hold no grudge like I do with the likes of Owen.

I don't get the Smith hate personally like.

I think you will find its because he is been getting 60k to sit on his arse for the majority of his contract and when he had the opportunity to leave during said contract he chose to reject all offers and continue to sit on said arse and collect his 60k for nothing.

He's a leech and i hate leeches, he's taken a ridiculous amount of money from this club already and gave f*ck all back in performances.

Enough is enough.

He's a great bloke, blah blah blah. I'd be a great bloke as well if I was getting paid £60,000 a week to essentially keep fit and train with professional footballers.

What's he done wrong though? He probably knows he is w*** at football, but you can't deny he served us well when we needed him. He will leave in the summer, but I hold no grudge like I do with the likes of Owen.

Served us well? In what capacity? He's a fucking shocking excuse for a footballer. If he wanted to actually play he would've asked for a route out a long time ago. He didn't. For that reason alone I've no time for him.

What's he done wrong though? He probably knows he is w*** at football, but you can't deny he served us well when we needed him. He will leave in the summer, but I hold no grudge like I do with the likes of Owen.

Served us well? In what capacity? He's a f***ing shocking excuse for a footballer. If he wanted to actually play he would've asked for a route out a long time ago. He didn't. For that reason alone I've no time for him.

Remember all the bottling bastards who took us down and couldn't wait to fuck off? Smith probably didn't pick how much he is paid man. He captained us for the majority of the Championship season and for the first 5/6 games he was one of the best players. As I say, he probably knows he's shit at football but at least you could honestly say he actually helped us at some point, more so than the others who essentially couldn't wait to leave.

Guest VaVaVoom

I don't get the Smith hate personally like. Granted, he's a very limited footballer. But in the Championship season, especially the first 10/15 games when everything was up in arms, he stood up and was counted. Was a very influential person to have around the place and really battled hard on the pitch despite obvious limitations. He will leave with my thanks when he does go, its not like he was happy to sit on the bench ala Owen/Duff/Viduka.

Spot on.

I seem to remember a thread a while back about which of our current players was the most likely future manager. Smith featured a lot in people's speculation.

The club is being run on business-like lines. Smith wouldn't be offered a post out of sentiment. They'd have to feel he had something to offer.

Guest VaVaVoom

I seem to remember a thread a while back about which of our current players was the most likely future manager. Smith featured a lot in people's speculation.

The club is being run on business-like lines. Smith wouldn't be offered a post out of sentiment. They'd have to feel he had something to offer.

The fact he is/was so close to Pardew would suggest he could get a coaching position like.

After all this Alan Smith talk I went to youtube and saw a video of him scoring a goal. Insanely weird. He's a likeable bloke though, wouldn't mind him staying on to coach some kids or whatever.

Would anyone honestly say that if they were on a £60,000 contract and no-one else wanted you, they'd take a pay cut?

If I was a millionaire on 60k a week for another 6 months and I had to drop to 30k so I could actually get the game time I, apparently, so badly wanted then yes of course I'd take the cut.  You'd have to either not really want to play or be one hell of a greedy fucker not to.

Guest johnson293

Would anyone honestly say that if they were on a £60,000 contract and no-one else wanted you, they'd take a pay cut?

If I was a millionaire on 60k a week for another 6 months and I had to drop to 30k so I could actually get the game time I, apparently, so badly wanted then yes of course I'd take the cut.  You'd have to either not really want to play or be one hell of a greedy cunt not to.

Aye, the "would you take a pay drop?" argument doesn't and shouldn't apply to top flight professional footballers, who in the majority (and certainly in Smiths case) should be set for life anyway. Their professional pride should make them want to play, not just sit and collect lucrative wages.

Over the last few years, it was rumoured that there was interest in him, but not at his current wage (from Everton to name one), but he stayed here, when it was clear he was out of the picture.

Says it all, really.

The long and short of it is that the guy is a fraud of a footballer. Do we really want him 'coaching' our kids? Hardly an inspiration.

I'm not saying that only the best players make the best coaches, but he's got no coaching credentials whatsoever to suggest that he could be a decent appointment. Anyway, as others have said, I can't see Pardew/Ashley sanctioning it.

The long and short of it is that the guy is a fraud of a footballer. Do we really want him 'coaching' our kids? Hardly an inspiration.

I'm not saying that only the best players make the best coaches, but he's got no coaching credentials whatsoever to suggest that he could be a decent appointment. Anyway, as others have said, I can't see Pardew/Ashley sanctioning it.

How could you possibly know this?

How could you possibly know this?

I don't. If he has, fair enough.

I just don't like the guy. No, it's not his fault that he was given a contract too good to refuse, nor that he's simply not very good. I'm sure he's probably a jovial chap off the field too. But he epitomises everything that was wrong with this club - overpaid has-beens bleeding the club dry whilst we teetered on the edge.

The only reason he hasn't been swiftly moved on was because:

a. His wages.

b. He's shit.

Let's take the chance whilst we have it and get shot for good.

Guest Rob 1988

Burnley defender Trippier is target for Premier League giants Newcastle

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/9674939.Burnley_defender_Trippier_is_target_for_Premier_League_giants_Newcastle/r/?ref=rss

FANS’ player of the season Kieran Trippier could be a target for Newcastle United this summer.

The promising right back is being monitored by Alan Pardew while the Magpies await a decision on Danny Simpson’s new contract offer.

With top scorer Jay Rodriguez already on the wanted list of a number of Premier League clubs, there are fears the Clarets are facing another period of disruption.

Burnley manager Eddie Howe has reiterated his intention to do all he can to keep his squad together to build for next season, but admits it will be his “biggest battle”.

“What we’d love to do is add players the other way and not lose anybody,” said the 34-year-old.

“Realistically we know that’s going to be quite difficult.

“We need to try to limit who we lose.

“But we’ll have to wait and see.

“A lot of that will be out of our hands really, and it will be a case of making sure we sign the right players to compliment what we have going forward.

“I think it’s going to be our biggest battle to try to keep the squad together.”

It is understood Trippier has been on Newcastle’s radar for 18 months, initially when he was on loan at Barnsley but still on Manchester City’s books.

Howe moved quickly to bring in the England Under 21 international on loan following Tyrone Mears’ departure for Bolton two weeks before the season began, and smartly sacrificed the budget for January transfer to tie Trippier to a three-and-a-half year permanent deal.

But Pardew has continued to follow the right back’s progress, and was on a scouting mission at Middlesbrough in January when Trippier completed a 2-0 win.

A number of factors will affect whether Newcastle will act on their interest.Should Simpson continue to stall over signing the new deal it is likely Newcastle will look to cash in on the former Manchester United and Blackburn Rovers defender, who has a year remaining on his current contract.

In that scenario, Pardew is expected to target two new right backs, with one capable of playing in central defence.

Should Simpson pledge his future to the club, the Magpies will only be searching for one new recruit.

Lancashire Telegraph :yao:

Alan Smith as an Academy coach...

Hmmm, guess I could accept that if he's offered a modest wage (ha!). He is (allegedly) a model pro so would gain the respect of the young'uns, I think.

Cajun makes a good point in the last paragraph of his post, good players don't necessarily make good coaches/managers. I mean, look at Wenger's playing career, it was hardly remarkable but look at him now in his managerial career, he has become one of the top managers in the PL. So I wouldn't rule out Smith's coaching ability as yet. Still a c*** though for his leeching.