NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/120427/tottenham-and-newcastle-red-alert-marquez-snubs-new-deal-170?

Tottenham and Newcastle have been put on red alert after Espanyol midfielder Javi Marquez snubbed a new deal at the club, paving the way for a summer exit.

Marquez, 25, has been on Tottenham's radar for some time now - while Newcastle have also expressed an interest in the past.

But a Premier League switch seemed unlikely after it emerged that Espanyol were ready to break the bank to keep him at his hometown club.

However Marquez, who has missed much of the season through injury, has decided against renewing his deal which expires in June 2013.

And to avoid losing him for nothing, Espanyol are preparing to cash in on him this summer.

Atletico Madrid have been watching Marquez all season and will be a front-runner for his signature when the season ends.

But the two Premier League admirers will be heartened by the fact that the midfielder is seemingly keeping his options open.

He told El Mundo Deportivo: "My agent is taking a lot of calls and there are things going."

i'm sure the club wouldn't keep him on out of sentiment. there have been whispers coming out for a while about his attitude when working with the reserves/kids etc. I have my reservations as i#ve heard a few stories about him but all from when he was an arrogant kid. right now i wouldn't advocate it but i'll give the club the benefit of the doubt if it needs to be.

Do you mean positive whispers? It's not clear.

I don't get the hostility towards Smith because 1) We're not offering him a job as a player and 2) It's not his fault the second part of his career was blighted by that injury.

Often a player who suffers from disappointment and unfulfilled potential through injury or other reasons can have the right motivation to succeed as a manager.

Don't want him at the club anymore in any capacity

This, good riddance. Smith knew he was finished at this level years ago and stuck around to pick up the cash, that's not the sort of example that should be set to young players.

Whilst, like most, I have a bitter taste in my mouth from Smith's contribution as a player and the total cost it took to have him here, I'm willing to let Pardew and co decide whether Smith would be any good as a coach. Good players don't always make good coaches, and all good coaches weren't necessarily great players. Ultimately, if he's a good coach then I don't really care what he was like as a player.

Left-back Fryers, 19, has made six first-team appearances this term and been with United since he was nine, but is frustrated over contract negotiations.

In the same article where they talk about us. Bells.

Just watched Douglas and Vertonghen in the Twente vs Ajax match on ESPN... have to say Douglas impressed me much more then Vertonghen would be a absolute steal if we get the Twente defender for £5 million looked great with the ball at his feet and attacks the ball really well in his own box and the oppositions box and was superb in one v one situations impressed me much more then the more expensive Vertonghen.

Where has all this talk come from? Villa are rich.

Their owner is, aren't they trying to cut costs after that fantastic Martin O'Neil (btw anyone know what he is up to these days?) run up a ridiculous wage bill.

Smith cost us £20m! And i cant blame him personally. If some fuckin idiot like Fat Cunt Allardyce offered me £60k a week to train for 12 hours a week I know what i would say.

The sooner he fucks off the better, still.