NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

It'll be a player 90% of the forum have never heard of before and by the time the season has finished we will all be shitting ourselves over a rumour of a £20m release clause :snod:

;D Indeed. It'll be an out of the blue signing.

The Independent thinks it is Mariappa from Watford. But obviously that wouldn't satisfy the 'very good' description.

Newcastle are ready to make a bid for the £2m-rated Watford centre-half Adrian Mariappa.

Alan Pardew wants to add another defender to his squad before the transfer window closes following the season-long injury to Steven Taylor. He has identified the 25-year-old as a player who can make the step up from the Championship as Newcastle push for a European place. Mariappa has signed a contract extension at Watford until next year, but Newcastle believe the allure of the Premier League will tempt him to leave.

Papiss Cissé has arrived for £8m and if Newcastle can land Mariappa, that should be the end of their January spending. The club have been linked to Ajax defender Jan Vertonghen, but any move is more likely in the summer.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/pardew-targets-2m-mariappa-6292526.html?

Yeah he's primarily a cb I think, recently at least. I'm pretty sure he's covered the full back positions on occasion. Actually saw him live a couple of weeks back when they played Bradford in the FA cup. From what I can remember he's quick and athletic, and not particularly tall as you say. Hopefully GG can shed some light.

Guest magpie99

The word I heard, and it is quite a reliable source apparently is that Lee Charnley flew to Paris on friday.

Who are Montpellier playing this weekend?

The word I heard, and it is quite a reliable source apparently is that Lee Charnley flew to Paris on friday.

Who are Montpellier playing this weekend?

No one. Coupe de France these coming days. Montpellier are playing Tours on monday.