NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

Nicko suggests Palace are in talks with both Newcastle and Bolton about Zaha. We seem more keen.

If he had the choice he would never join bolton

Bit arrogant.

but true :-)

Why? First team football at Bolton.

He is not ready to start every week i feel that we would be better suiters ease him in gradually like pardew has done with santoon

I'm just not seeing why we'd be interested.

Suppose it depends how good he really is, Palace still need money don't they? So he could be a potential cash cow if we can get him for the right fee.

One of their 'if a good player becomes available for the right price.." signings. I always thought he was a forward but read somewhere he plays as a midfielder, right wing?

MsiDouglas Mark Douglas

Key point for #nufc watchers tomorrow is 1pm. AP delivers pre-match presser; could know a mite more then

16 seconds ago

Waiting for better value in the summer i'll bet

We already have shown that we are looking towards the summer with staying away from certain deals because of value.....

Like Tomkins because West Ham wanted too much, delaying any search for players like Zaha and Hoilett till the summer because of value, even Clyne is being delayed until the summer IMO.

Having said all this i think its imperative we sign a CB on loan atleast to get by until the end of the season and then you con focus on the other area's in the summer.

Guest johnson293

Nicko suggests Palace are in talks with both Newcastle and Bolton about Zaha. We seem more keen.

SSN claiming this morning that Bolton's bid for Zaha has been rejected.

It is a shame Douglas wants to stay in Holland until the end of the season to be able to playfor the national team otherwise we would have him by now.

or that montepellier are in the hunt for the title or that the club shop doesn't have enough V's to go on the back of fans shirts to or we'd have vertonghen

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2012/02/12/mike-ashley-embarks-on-next-nufc-phase-79310-30312444/

Mike Ashley embarks on next NUFC phase

Feb 12 2012 by Mark Douglas, Sunday Sun

MIKE ASHLEY kick-started the next phase of his Newcastle project during a midweek meeting with Toon top brass, the Sunday Sun can reveal.

Ashley’s flying visit to the training ground on Thursday afternoon ended with plans being put in place that the Newcastle United owner hopes will build on the advances of the last five months.

Top of the agenda was the confirmation of summer targets that Toon have been sourcing for the past SIX months.

We can reveal that Ashley told his staff to start drawing up a hit-list of players either out of contract or available in the close season back in AUGUST, with Blackburn flyer Junior Hoilett one of those names featuring highly.

A clutch of foreign stars are also featured on a list that has been constructed with an emphasis on bringing in a new central defender and central midfielder.

But staff are also on the lookout for a goalkeeper – and young strikers are being sourced too as the club prepare for life after Peter Lovenkrands, the unwanted Nile Ranger and, possibly, Leon Best.

In key areas the club have narrowed their search down to just a handful of names, in the same way that they were working with just four names in their hunt for a new No 9 in January.

United’s scouting staff have been told to plan for the next TWO transfer windows, with the emphasis remaining on players under 26 who can offer significant sell-on value.

That will remain even if the club make it into Europe this season – a possibility discussed at the summit.

United will no longer buy ad hoc – and the Magpies would rather rely on young players or existing squad players than bring in someone who hasn’t been extensively scouted and researched.

As well as strengthening at the top, an enthused Ashley is also ready to sign up for Pardew’s personal plan to improve the Academy.

He has sanctioned cash to be invested in bringing in top talent from around the globe – as well as approving the decision to release all but three of United’s youth players.

Contracts were talked about too. United are keen to tie down Danny Simpson, Fabricio Coloccini and Danny Guthrie to new deals, but it has been slow going on all three of late.

Boss Pardew confirmed to the Sunday Sun that it was an amicable meeting conducted amid growing optimism.

“Mike was here on Thursday. We discussed those (three contracts),” he said.

“We’ll talk about the younger group – one or two targets, one or two contract situations.

“I can’t speak for the past, but at the moment I should think he’s quite pleased.” On the specifics of deals for Simpson, Coloccini and Guthrie, Pardew hinted that all three could now be mothballed until the end of the season rather than let the wrangling distract from their fine campaign.

“Of course I would like all three of those sorted by the end of the season,” he said.

“But it’s not easy. We’re all on a great season, maybe we’ll wait until the summer and get the season out of the way and see where we go. It’s all to play for.”

Guest Brendan_Rice

Dangerous for Colo and Simpson but Guthrie being out of contract it's just silly to wait imo.

The rest of it sounded really positive though, good to hear. Would love to see more youth players coming through.

Dangerous for Colo and Simpson but Guthrie being out of contract it's just silly to wait imo.

It depends how much it will cost to retain him. He's technically very good but up against the best teams he hasn't got the engine or mobility to keep up. I thought he might struggle against Parker in the pre-match yesterday and that's how it turned out. I suppose we will weigh up the cost of his contract against how much it would cost to bring in a promising young player instead.

guthrie and simpson arent exactly world class.(i wouldnt miss them)  COlo lacks pace, but is useful against 80% of the league....probably too old.

Only reason hes still here is how bad we are at finding good defenders.

You're fucking mental.

guthrie and simpson arent exactly world class.(i wouldnt miss them)  COlo lacks pace, but is useful against 80% of the league....probably too old.

:idiot2:

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Good point.