NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

They could also be monitoring Aubameyang (attacker) and Abdennour (centre back), both of whom had a good AFCON recently and would fit the apparent profile of players that the club might want to recruit. Tabanou, another rumoured target, was also playing.

Signing M'Bengue or another LB would presumably mean Santon switching to RB (which could be the long term plan actually, we'll see).

French mate tells me nothing but good things about M'Bengue also isnt he the lad we had a bid rejected for in the summer?

We were linked with him in the summer. Can't remember if we actually made a bid though.

Guest magpie99

The result at Spurs certainly highlighted a few major issues as far as I was concerned and there is a lot of work to be done in the summer to address those isues.

The contract renewals of Simpson, Guthrie and Colo are paramount but in the case of Simpson, whilst he is a capable squad player, he should be paid accordingly and not as a regular. He is not top 4 to 6 quality. I rate Guthrie the same.

As for Colo, I happen to agree with the previous poster about him being capable against 80% of the league. His age is against him and he needs pace beside him. If we had a Yanga Mbiwa and a Walker alongside Colo and Santon, I think we would be a more efficient defence. We miss Saylor too and it is clear Williamson is not up to the standard required. So, we need two pacy defenders, one a left or right back, the other a central defender.

As for the midfield, with Tiote and Cabaye back, we should be OK in the centre but it is clear out creative avenues out wide need addressing. Jonas needs a rest and I would love to see young Fergie given a run in his place. Next season, if Fergie shows his talent and Jonas is suitably refreshed as well as an injury ffree Marveaux, we should be OK. As for the right, Obertan is not currently good enough although he is young enough to improve. I hope Pardew encourages and givers a decent run to Ben Arfa.

Up front, we know Ranger and Lovenkrands are on their way. Best is too injury prone and Shola is, well..............Shola. I cant see the club getting rid of him and with Ba and Cisse off to the ACON again next season, we will needd at least two capab le strikers. I understand the young lad from Burnley is lined up.Rodriguez, I think his name is.

So, what do we need. Well, we know current senior squad members Smith, Lovenkrands, Forster, Ranger and possibly Harper and Xisco are lined up to leave. We could sell Simpson and Guthrie and possibly Best. How much could we get for these? Possibly around 8 to 10 million quid.

So, we need a back up keeper, young and with a bit of experience, maybe someone like Loach of Watford

We need a quality left or right back, not african so possibly. We have Tavernier as a good prospect. Is M'Bengue african? The other player I like is Isaguirre at Celtic, if he recovers well from his broken leg. I would like Yanga Mbiwa ffrom Montpellier. possibly Douglas too from Twente and we could sell Williamson.

In midfield, get Diame from Wigan on a free and Hoillett from Blackburn. As for up front, Rodriguez would fit the bill as a third striker and for good measure, I wouldnt mind Rhys Williams from Middlesbrough. That little lot would probably cost us 20 million pounds and we would have plenty of cover when Ba, Cisse and Tiote head off to the ACON.

So, imo, outgoings would/could be Forster, Harper, Smith, Xisco, Guthrie, Simpson, Best, Lovenkrands, Ranger, Williamson...$10M

Incomings would/could be: Loach, Douglas, Yanga Mbiwa, M'Bengue, Rodriguez, Williams, Hoilett, Diame

Add to that, the return of Marveaux, Saylor, Sameobi from long term injury and the promotion of Tavernier, Ferguson as more regular squad particpants and we would have a very good squad.

However, it is all currently heresay

I'm not too arsed about Guthrie's contract tbh. He done a decent job, but I don't think he's going to improve, and his position could always be filled by Gosling or Abeid or even a new signing. If he stays, good, if not, meh.

Agreed, though I don't think Gosling is anywhere close to having Guthrie's natural ability. Jury is still out on Abeid & Vuckic but I don't think I'd be comfortable with the more inexperienced lads playing as many games as Guthrie has this season, so if he leaves we'll need a replacement. Ideally he'll stay, but if he doesn't, it's not the end of the world.

Guest Dontooner

I'm not too arsed about Guthrie's contract tbh. He done a decent job, but I don't think he's going to improve, and his position could always be filled by Gosling or Abeid or even a new signing. If he stays, good, if not, meh.

Spoke my mind, got a couple of players that might come off just as good as him or better. Not bother if we lost him. Funny that Pardew isnt giving the youngsters a better chance, preparing them for the future. He gives too many chances to players with expiring contracts.

You're 5%ers. You'd definitely have sat on the 'thinky skills' table at my first school.

Fucking hang on a minute, was this directed at me and Michael?

FWIW I don't really agree that:

"COlo lacks pace, but is useful against 80% of the league....probably too old.

Only reason hes still here is how bad we are at finding good defenders."

:lol:

Christ on a fucking segway