Papiss Cissé

Guest kingdawson

Happy Cisse has left?  

240 members have voted

1. 1. Happy Cisse has left?

• Yes
    • No

Guest Craig-NUFC

Word spread quickly around Newcastle United's training ground. He's here. He's finally arrived. Those players finishing a light session hesitated before getting changed and driving home. Instead, they "stuck around for a nosey at him."

Every day for the past two and a half weeks, they'd read and heard a lot about the club's new $14.3m signing from S.C Freiburg, Papiss Demba Cisse. He must be something a bit special, a "good'un," they said. Not just anyone is given the honor of wearing one of the most iconic numbers in football, privileged enough to inherit the stripes of 'Wor' Jackie Milburn, Malcolm Macdonald, Andy Cole, Alan Shearer and Andy Carroll.

"There are certain shirts," Newcastle manager Alan Pardew claimed. "The No 7 at Liverpool, No 10 at Manchester United, No 10 at Arsenal and No 9 here. It is very important that players wearing those shirts know about the different legends and traditions running through their clubs."

The mood of expectation and sense of mystery surrounding Cisse was only heightened by his flying visit to Tyneside -- to sign a five-and-a-half year contract with the Magpies on January 17 -- before then jetting off with his international (and now club) teammate Demba Ba to meet up with the Senegal squad for the African Cup of Nations in Gabon and Equatorial Guinea.

Though teammates with Senegal, the speed at which Demba Ba and Papiss Demba Cisse form a strike partnership will be crucial to Newcastle United's success.

Ba's own success, his 16 goals in 20 games for Newcastle this season, and the familiar rite of passage from the Bundesliga to the Premier League added to the feeling that Cisse might not just be good, but possibly even better. Their shared experience as compatriots was held up as yet another reason why things would work out well at St James's Park, even though, while clearly important from a settling-in point of view, it offered no guarantee that they'd gel as a pairing. "People are under a misapprehension that they have this partnership that's formed -- it's not." Pardew said. "They have hardly played together."

Geordies eager to catch an early glimpse of Cisse and Ba in action saw that for themselves when Senegal fell at the first hurdle in the African Cup of Nations. As a strike force, they only started one match together, but there was little spark, although that was probably down to the counter-intuitive way they were used by coach Amara Traore.

A lot rested on Cisse's shoulders. There was a lot for the player to take in: first, Senegal's shock elimination from a major tournament and the fallout thereafter, followed by the adaptation to a new country, a new club and a new league. Still, reassurances were forthcoming. "Newcastle have got a jewel," Freiburg general manager Rudi Raschke insisted. "From the moment he arrived, he was happy and scoring goals. We have never had a player like him. [Papiss] finished second top scorer in Germany last season behind [Mario] Gomez at Bayern Munich and he's a €30m player."

It was clear Pardew had done his homework. According to The Guardian, Newcastle's chief scout Graham Carr had first watched Cisse a couple of years ago, but the manager had also become aware of his talent during the time he spent between jobs visiting various Bundesliga clubs, communing with their coaching staffs and exchanging opinions on tactics, training and players. "Ever since Andy Carroll left, Papiss was my first choice," he told Newcastle's official website.

It's not hard to see why. Though written off as a young player because his wiry frame led many clubs to believe he was far too lightweight ever to make it at the highest level, Cisse might have once been a slow burner, but at Metz (and particularly Freiburg) he developed and matured into an explosive proposition. Watching the 37 goals he scored in 65 Bundesliga games, what stands out is his directness, how he pounces on chances and takes shots early. Elaborate, he is not. Emphatic, he most certainly is.

But that's not to say there isn't an element of control to Cisse's unbridled born-free style of play. Even a lion chasing after its prey on the savannah needs to show economy of movement and lucidity of mind to snare its catch, and Cisse demonstrates that in his running. He has a knack for being in the right place at the right time, be it in the center of the six-yard box awaiting a cut-back, or at the far post anticipating a cross. And what of his composure from the penalty spot. "I think even when he sleeps he thinks about the back of the net," Ba tweeted.

His debut against Aston Villa on Sunday didn't disappoint. Pardew went so far as to call it "boy's annual stuff." Replacing the injured Leon Best after 14 minutes, Cisse scored the winner in a 2-1 victory, chesting down a ball on the edge of the box then lashing at it first time like Jackson Pollock flicking a paintbrush. His shot soared into the top corner in front of a delirious Gallowgate End, the crucible of all things Newcastle.

Cisse scored 9 in 17 games for SC Freiburg this season before moving to the EPL. Said Freiburg general manager Rudi Raschke, "Newcastle have got a jewel."

All in all, it gave an indication of what's to come from the 'Double Demba' partnership, with Cisse running in behind defenders and Ba dropping short to get possession. But the post-game was revealing of Cisse's value to the club. "After the game, he did his interview and then he came in [the dressing room] and shook everyone's hand, all the staff," Pardew revealed. "Those little moments are nice. He's a genuine guy. This is a guy who just wants to do well for Newcastle."

That's an important observation. So much of scouting today isn't just about how a player acts on the pitch, but the way they handle themselves off it too, and Freiburg couldn't speak highly enough of Cisse. By all accounts, he was a model professional; as is so often the case with African players who've made it in Europe, they provide for and support an extended family. In Cisse's case, that means "65-70 living relatives" back in Casamance, the part of Senegal from where he hails. "I am the only one who has the opportunity to help put the family on its feet financially," he told Die Welt.

In the same interview, it was noted how, instead of going out in Freiburg on the weekends, Cisse would stay home and play FIFA 2012 on his PlayStation. The skill rating of his own character in the game was pointed out as 81, inferior to other Bundesliga stars like Shinji Kagawa (82), Jefferson Farfan (84) and Renato Augusto (83), even though he'd scored more goals than all three of them put together. "You're right. Maybe I should write a letter," he joked.

Whether it ever got sent or not is unknown, but considering the way Cisse has kicked off his Newcastle career, one imagines that by the time the next edition comes out, his ability will be more in line with the reality: Cisse ranked as one of Europe's most feared strikers.

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/story/_/id/7554129/papiss-demba-cisse-adds-another-dimension-newcastle-attack-james-horncastle

Responding rather late to the thread.....moved house this week and didnt have time to catchup on all the latest threads.

Here in Cape Town, the game started at 15h30 and it was 38deg C.  Told the movers to leave at 15h00 and paid them to do an extra trip after the game. No way was I moving the TV and satellite until the game was over especially after I was tortured by Best and Shola during the weeks waiting for these guys to come in. From a comfort perspective it was dreadful but that goal had me running around an empty house celebrating  :lol:

I loved his enthusiasm, willingness to receive the ball, movement in between the lines of defence and midfield, couple of great first touches to bring things to ground and most of all I loved that he just wants to strike at goal and score. IMO priority number one in his position...score score score.

Great debut. More of the same please.

Just remembered, with Best out we now have a strike force that has the ability to make the opposition sh*t themselves with fear and laughter  :laugh:

No prizes for guessing who provides which  ;)

'Even a lion chasing after its prey on the savannah needs to show economy of movement and lucidity of mind to snare its catch, and Cisse demonstrates that in his running.'

Never in million years saw this comparison coming.

Every day for the past two and a half weeks, they'd read and heard a lot about the club's new $14.3m signing from S.C Freiburg, Papiss Demba Cisse. He must be something a bit special, a "good'un," they said. Not just anyone is given the honor of wearing one of the most iconic numbers in football, privileged enough to inherit the stripes of 'Wor' Jackie Milburn, Malcolm Macdonald, Andy Cole, Alan Shearer and Andy Carroll.

:yao:

Cisse sold on Newcastle ambition

As the latest owner of the iconic Newcastle No. 9 shirt announced his arrival on Tyneside with a stunning winning goal against Aston Villa last Sunday, a new Geordie hero was born in an instant.

Papiss Cisse could not have dared to dream that his first game following a £9 million move from Freiburg would end with a strike that is likely to be listed as a contender for Premier League goal of the season, with his sparkling start to life at Newcastle apparently whetting his appetite for more.

At the age of 26, Cisse believes he is about to reach his peak and the passion he shows for his new club suggests he is warming to the task of propelling Newcastle towards an improbable top six finish that should secure European football for next season.

"The goal against Aston Villa was something I dreamed about and it was so amazing when it happened," begins Cisse, who will need to set about a quick-fire course of English lessons as he tries to acclimatise to the chilled North East air.

"This is how I hoped it would be at Newcastle because I had a burning desire to play for a club of standing and importance in the Premier League. In my eyes, the English championship is the most exciting in the world, the number one competition. It is a level above Germany, Italy and Spain because of the prestige, star quality and the competitiveness of all the teams in the league.

"The reason why I chose Newcastle was simple. They were very enthusiastic about me joining and I realised straight away they had their homework about me. They know what I can do well and told me in detail how they saw me fitting into their team. I was very impressed with what I heard from them.

"They are having a good season and the coach is ambitious and doesn't make a secret of his desire to push on even further. Newcastle are not Champions League participants at the moment, but they want to force themselves into that area and if I can help this come about, I'll be the happiest of men."

The prestige of leading the line for Newcastle could easily have been lost on a striker who has hardly been immersed in North East football folklore, but Cisse seems to have been well briefed on the icons he is attempting to emulate.

"I know of the love Newcastle fans have for strikers like Kevin Keegan and Alan Shearer and I can only hope I have similar success," he continues. "I don't know about being a hero like the other players who played in my position because I'm happy just to be thought of as someone who does his job well.

"All I think about is the progress made in my career. I have gone from a young kid playing football in the street to scoring lots of goals for a small club in Germany and now getting a chance with a top Premier League club. This is a progression I'm very proud of."

Cisse says the prospect of linking up with his Senegal team-mate Demba Ba was one of the big attractions of sealing the switch to Newcastle, with the glowing words offered by the striker who has taken the Premier League by storm this season convincing his pal to sign for Alan Pardew's side.

"Demba painted a really positive picture of Newcastle United, from the stadium and the training facilities to the coach and the vibe around the club," he says. "He also spoke about the passion and warmth of the fans, and I have seen that already in my short time here.

"Playing alongside Demba will be both a pleasure and source of comfort to me. We know each other well and he can be my big brother in England. I'm so looking forward to playing alongside him for Newcastle. I think our playing styles complement one another. The fact that he is in such great form, scoring goals every week, will help a lot too."

Cisse says he has much to prove as he attempts to make the leap from excelling in a Freiburg side that was built around his considerable scoring talents, with the weight of expectations as a new star of Newcastle already being felt as he prepares for a huge test of his credentials against Tottenham at White Hart Lane on Saturday.

"Freiburg are a small-town side, a family club, while this club seems like another world. To me, Newcastle feels football club which is an institution, something like the Bayern Munich of the North East of England.

"This is a big step for me, I don't deny it, but one I'm confident of taking in my stride. I like to think of myself as modest and humble but at the same time I've the strongest of beliefs in my ability to score goals and live with pressure.

"I don't imagine any problems settling. Demba Ba will offer me assistance and, with other French-speaking guys like Hatem Ben Arfa, Yohan Cabaye, Sylvain Marveaux, Gabriel Obertan and Cheick Tiote in the squad, I'm in good hands.

"Also, I arrive here with a lot of confidence after my successes in Germany. Without belief as a striker, you are in trouble. Defenders in Germany are solid and uncompromising and that experience has toughened me up physically and sharpened me mentally."

While motivation does not seem to be an issue for Cisse just now, it appears Senegal's premature exit from the African Nations Cup is adding further fuel to his desire to set the world alight on Tyneside.

"I'm bitter about what happened with Senegal as we had the potential to do much better. Every one of us is to blame because we didn't deliver. We have a new generation of players and are in a transitional phase, but it was no excuse. We still should have gone further. Now it's up to us to bounce back and the sooner the better."

His international disappointment is natural, yet Senegal's failure allowed Cisse to start his Newcastle career earlier than expected and, having marked his debut in spectacular fashion, this shooting star is eager to confirm he is no one-hit wonder.

:laugh: :aww:

Cisse sold on Newcastle ambition

"All I think about is the progress made in my career. I have gone from a young kid playing football in the street to scoring lots of goals for a small club in Germany and now getting a chance with a top Premier League club. This is a progression I'm very proud of."

:laugh: :aww:

:undecided: