Papiss Cissé

Guest kingdawson

Happy Cisse has left?  

240 members have voted

1. 1. Happy Cisse has left?

• Yes
    • No

he's coming a lot deeper since gouffran and sissoko came, i'm assuming it's to drag the defence up in order to try and springboard gouffran/sissoko in behind. if so i wonder if they'll persevere with it so much when ben arfa returns.

Was he surrounded by good players when he was scoring more than a goal every other game at Freiburg?

His first campaign in the Bundesliga, after Freiburg's, was nearly a goal a game. It tapered-off to nearly 1 in 2, before we snatched him ie. new manager selling a prize asset, in order to rebuild a leaky defense.

To answer the question, he wasn't surrounded by Ben Arfa-like creative talent but the answer lies in something you already posted.

Maybe not the best way to judge his body of work in Germany, based on watching just two games (one was at home to Dortmund)  but i got a general idea of what Freiburg were all about and where Cisse fitted in. He never showed the qualities seen in an astereotypical, murauding/ball-carrying African attacker. His involvement in an build-up was of the one-or-two touch link-up variety then they'd switch the play to the opposite flank, and Cisse would then attack the low fed (angled) ball's from the defensive weakside. They looked like a team who spent more than just one day per week (in training) on their attacking phases of play, hereby successfully integrating into their attack a striker whose game is more than anything revolves around guile. He doesn't share Ba's physical gifts, so there's little or no point trying to shoehorn him into a vertical/far more direct attack (into the box).

He's actually in a fairly decent run of form at the moment. I know it's a pretty weak argument considering they were disallowed, but if you consider the two perfectly legitimate goals against Metalist, that's 5 in 9 since the new guys came in.

Nobody gave a monkeys about Ba's general play, despite his bitching about generally not playing on the left.

Anyways, Cisse's a class act. His goal on sunday was superb, he just seemed to go Ooooooooooosh - how dya like them apples?

He's actually in a fairly decent run of form at the moment. I know it's a pretty weak argument considering they were disallowed, but if you consider the two perfectly legitimate goals against Metalist, that's 5 in 9 since the new guys came in.

So that's 3 in 9 in the real world?

You and your agenda, man. He's played in 8 games since the influx of new players, 1 of which he was ludicrously played out wide. That leaves 3 goals in 7 as a ST, before counting the 2 perfectly good goals against Metalist.

Reads like good form to me.

Whilst Cisse is not blameless for his bad form (and don't even start with his recent goal record, it's beneath everyone's time to ignore what we see with our eyes on the pitch in favour of numbers :lol:), the team have not helped his cause with the style of attack we've employed lately.

We're not getting in behind defences, we're optimistically clipping balls in on the diagonal. Generally high balls too. Cisse may very well have had a decent aerial record in Germany, but from what I saw of him in Freiburg the crosses were cut back/level to him.

He is not going to get much aerial change out of Premier League defences if the balls are put into the box and the defences get to face away from their goal. He simply isn't that good aerially I'm afraid.

All this said, it's not about his cause... it's about the team's cause, and the team scoring goals. He has to do better, contribute more and, most importantly, finish chances when he gets them.

I'd favour crosses along the ground/drilled balls in to his feet/through balls etc - but I think Pardew is light year's away from being able to coach that kind of football, so let's start by getting the rest of the team to follow Debuchy's example of crossing from decent positions, because Marveaux's eye-of-the-needle stuff isn't something we can rely on consistently with Pardew.

He has 5 in 11 in the league since Man U.

He's been heavily criticised by a select few nungers despite a run of form that would see him end a full season with 15+ goals. The fact he's clearly not at his best and is having an average of ~2 shots a game is a positive sign for most rational people.

Whilst Cisse is not blameless for his bad form (and don't even start with his recent goal record, it's beneath everyone's time to ignore what we see with our eyes on the pitch in favour of numbers :lol:), the team have not helped his cause with the style of attack we've employed lately.

We're not getting in behind defences, we're optimistically clipping balls in on the diagonal. Generally high balls too. Cisse may very well have had a decent aerial record in Germany, but from what I saw of him in Freiburg the crosses were cut back/level to him.

He is not going to get much aerial change out of Premier League defences if the balls are put into the box and the defences get to face away from their goal. He simply isn't that good aerially I'm afraid.

All this said, it's not about his cause... it's about the team's cause, and the team scoring goals. He has to do better, contribute more and, most importantly, finish chances when he gets them.

I'd favour crosses along the ground/drilled balls in to his feet/through balls etc - but I think Pardew is light year's away from being able to coach that kind of football, so let's start by getting the rest of the team to follow Debuchy's example of crossing from decent positions, because Marveaux's eye-of-the-needle stuff isn't something we can rely on consistently with Pardew.

Well put that

If he's going to play like he did on Stoke, he'll need to average 2 in 3 imo. Like I said at the time, if he keeps scoring I can put up with the crap performances.

Well yeah if he was getting 30 goals a season he could play as shit as he wants like, goes without saying :)

If he's going to play like he did on Stoke, he'll need to average 2 in 3 imo. Like I said at the time, if he keeps scoring I can put up with the crap performances.

Fully agree with Beren. "He has to do better."

Sorry like but for months you defended Ba's cemented spot up front with Cisse wide purely on the basis that Ba was scoring goals despite the fact that was very obviously detrimental to the rest of the side.

He will come good, the time to worry is when a striker isn't getting chances and not getting into goalscoring positions. Pretty confident he will get back to consistent scoring shortly.

I think because he was banging them in at the end of last season people forget he is still pretty new to the PL and it does take time to adjust.

Guest alijmitchell

Fully agree with Beren. "He has to do better."

Sorry like but for months you defended Ba's cemented spot up front with Cisse wide purely on the basis that Ba was scoring goals despite the fact that was very obviously detrimental to the rest of the side.

O0

As a Charver would say, "Clamped"

:smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: