Papiss Cissé

Guest kingdawson

Happy Cisse has left?  

240 members have voted

1. 1. Happy Cisse has left?

• Yes
    • No

Amazes me that there's any real debate about Cisse, like. Play him centrally, give him service and he'll always score and open up space for others.

It really is as simple as this. Just keep feeding him and the goals will come. We've had fuck all from midfield this season so it's hardly surprising that Cisse hasn't hit the heights of last season.

The team needs to support each other.

He needs competition and someone else to take the pressure off a bit. I reckon Gouffran would look a lot more lethal through the centre but we have no-one capable of playing the position he vacates.

If we sign the players we should in the summer (another forward and a wide player) Cisse will have a lot more help. That said he has looked a lot more his old self of late. I thought he was brilliant at Benfica, was all over the place and making very intelligent runs, reading the line a lot better than he was at the start of the season too.

:thup:

He needs competition and someone else to take the pressure off a bit. I reckon Gouffran would look a lot more lethal through the centre but we have no-one capable of playing the position he vacates.

If we sign the players we should in the summer (another forward and a wide player) Cisse will have a lot more help. That said he has looked a lot more his old self of late. I thought he was brilliant at Benfica, was all over the place and making very intelligent runs, reading the line a lot better than he was at the start of the season too.

:thup:

The 4231 just doesn't work in my opinion.

We had plenty of success last year with what became a flexible 442/433 formation, none of this trendy 4231 bullshit.

Give Cisse proper strike partner/s and we are much better.

I'm a little peeved about him going for the lofted finish when one-on-one. It was a good performance/bodes well, but I really wish he'd put his laces through it or taken it around the keeper instead.

I'm a little peeved about him going for the lofted finish when one-on-one. It was a good performance/bodes well, but I really wish he'd put his laces through it or taken it around the keeper instead.

I think going around the keeper was perhaps the best option however i wouldn't say i wouldn't like to see him do that again as it was a touch of class that was very unfortunate. Strangely he's usually a bit to wild with his finishing and not composed enough, this was the opposite.

Golden opportunites, man. Load of nonsense. He has 6 in 14 as a striker since your hero was sold and should've had another 2 at home to Metalist.

He's been much better in recent weeks, so I don't want to criticise him too much, but the chance in the second half from that Marveaux through ball was indeed a golden opportunity. One on one with the goalkeeper with plenty of time, you'd expect your star striker to score really.

With regards to the upgrading debate, it depends on what people mean by an upgrade. I'm with Cajun in that I think he definitely needs competition, or we as a club need another viable option outside of Shola when Cisse is out injured or out of form. I wouldn't be happy with a mere backup (a Best type) as I think we need at least two top strikers in the squad if we want to challenge for the top 6.

Golden opportunites, man. Load of nonsense. He has 6 in 14 as a striker since your hero was sold and should've had another 2 at home to Metalist.

The chance in the second half from that Marveaux through ball was indeed a golden opportunity. One on one with the goalkeeper with plenty of time, you'd expect your star striker to score really.

This is it for me.

This is the reason why people rate him. An immense finisher. I am disappointed he didn't walk away with a brace. Had he managed that, I would fancy us to nick it at SJP.

As much as we did get quality balls from out wide. Siss & Marv created. Benfica played to Cisse's strengths too.

It was his best performance this season no doubt. But truthfully, he wasn't that good.

Thought the pass from Marveaux was slightly too heavy myself, as it left Cisse with little option other than to go with his left foot. Slightly less weight on the ball and he's able to run straight onto it with his right and it opens up far more of the goal.

Not sure chances are ever that easy when you're going on your weaker side, although I appreciate he does tend to be a decent finisher with his left too.

Howay Rich, that was pretty much the perfect through ball from Cisse's starting position. If it was more central and with less pace on it, it would have given the defenders a chance to get back in position. Cisse also had plenty of space and time to work with, could have taken it round the keeper on his left and on his right if he'd wanted too.

To add, I think chipping the goalkeeper early was the right idea, but it would have to be on target obviously.. :lol:

Nah, I thought it at the time and upon seeing it again on the highlights I still hold the opinion. It's harsh on Marveaux and lets Cisse off the hook a bit, but it could have definitely have done with having a bit less on it. Cisse has to sprint his final few steps to get onto the ball and is then off-balance a bit when he takes the chance on, the defenders are nowhere near it so that excuse doesn't really come into it for me. Thought the 'keeper was out to him pretty swiftly to narrow the angle too and so he isn't left with much option to go back onto his right. Anyway, it's here from 1.30 if you can get it, you still might disagree with me but from watching it again just now my memory appears to be right:

http://www.itv.com/sport/football/article/2013-04-04/europa-league-highlights-and-match-report-benfica-3-1-newcastle/

Nah, I thought it at the time and upon seeing it again on the highlights I still hold the opinion. It's harsh on Marveaux and lets Cisse off the hook a bit, but it could have definitely have done with having a bit less on it. Cisse has to sprint his final few steps to get onto the ball and is then off-balance a bit when he takes the chance on, the defenders are nowhere near it so that excuse doesn't really come into it for me. Thought the 'keeper was out to him pretty swiftly to narrow the angle too and so he isn't left with much option to go back onto his right. Anyway, it's here from 1.30 if you can get it, you still might disagree with me but from watching it again just now my memory appears to be right:

http://www.itv.com/sport/football/article/2013-04-04/europa-league-highlights-and-match-report-benfica-3-1-newcastle/

Can't get that vid to work as I'm outside of the UK, but I'll take your word for it. Still it rinkles a bit (as you refer to as well), as it sort of begs the question how perfect the service needs to be for Cisse to convert his chances.. :lol: