Papiss Cissé

Guest kingdawson

Happy Cisse has left?  

240 members have voted

1. 1. Happy Cisse has left?

• Yes
    • No

The thing about Cisse is that he has been getting into those positions as he did for the goal yesterday all season, the only problem was people supplying the ball never saw that pass until he had made his run into an offside positions or simply didn't even make it, Sissoko has the awareness to see and make the pass before Cisse has run into an offside position.

Spot on. Also, Cisse pointed to where he wanted it, and Sissoko obliged without dallying for a second. That's the type of supply Cisse thrives on.

This. The reason he's offside a lot of the time is because people don't play the ball when they should!

Hugely encouraged by that pass from Sissoko. He didn't hesitate to send it through to Papiss. Lovely vision.

His form has been poor at times this season but he is being judged against and amazing run last season, he showed enough last season for me to know the lad has qualities. I have little doubt we'll have a top class striker on our hands again, just maybe won't be hitting the heights of last Jan - May for such a prolonged period of time.

didn't even think for one second he'd miss once he was in.

The reality is he could easily have missed. It wasn't a particularly powerful shot, it was straight at the keeper, but fortunately it went through his legs. I still don't think his form is particularly good.

I don't think we should rigidly adhere to the mentality that it's all about the rest of the team creating chances for Cisse. We shouldn't be afraid to try other options ie Gouffran.

Cronky what happened man :anguish:

The "reality" that he could have easily missed can be counter-argued by the "reality" that he could have scored from previous situations which he did miss. If you know anything about football, and I'm certain that you do, you'll understand what the goal meant for his confidence last night. Make no mistake, it was an emphatic finish.

Sure we can call it luck all we want but if you don't have the talent luck doesn't just fall your way. Yes Cisse kicked it straight at the keeper and yes it went through his legs but I believe the goal was instinctive. It's not just a matter of shooting at the keeper and hoping it goes through his legs.

It was how he kept the shot low, it was how he timed the shot early so that the keeper wasn't prepared and so couldn't adjust his body when he realised the ball was coming as he was planning to fling himself across goal. All these small things add up and yes there was certainly an element of luck, but the degree of luck and the degree of skill that goal required can be easily mistaken.

I remember Shearer's 200th or 201st goal against Portsmouth went through the keepers legs. No way can you say that was luck, the goal was instinctive and no one doubted he would score once he got into that position.

Strikers in the Cisse mould score a ton of goals that go through the keepers legs, off his shoulder, in off the post, whatever. The skill is in the perfect first touch and the clean, low strike.

The fact it went through the keeper's legs is irrelevant to me, I couldn't care less. The fact is that he is a born predator who scores a ton of goals playing in the way he does. He has a dryish spell, but nothing has fundamentally changed IMO.

Last season is was his total relaxation that impressed me, if you look at him on replays his whole body is just totally relaxed and only his striking leg moves with any tension.

Hopefully we'll supply him with some decent chances over the next few games.

The reality is he could easily have missed. It wasn't a particularly powerful shot, it was straight at the keeper, but fortunately it went through his legs. I still don't think his form is particularly good.

I don't think we should rigidly adhere to the mentality that it's all about the rest of the team creating chances for Cisse. We shouldn't be afraid to try other options ie Gouffran.

The "reality" that he could have easily missed can be counter-argued by the "reality" that he could have scored from previous situations which he did miss. If you know anything about football, and I'm certain that you do, you'll understand what the goal meant for his confidence last night. Make no mistake, it was an emphatic finish.

Well that's true, but I was simply stating a fact. He got himself into a good position, but it wasn't a great finish. It’s simply a matter of assessing what’s in front of us, rather than what we hope / expect to see.

Perhaps Cisse is the best package available to us at the moment, but I don't think that's set in stone, given his overall contribution. And looking to the future, if we want to progress, we may need to look at better options.

Well that's true, but I was simply stating a fact. He got himself into a good position, but it wasn't a great finish. It’s simply a matter of assessing what’s in front of us, rather than what we hope / expect to see.

Perhaps Cisse is the best package available to us at the moment, but I don't think that's set in stone, given his overall contribution. And looking to the future, if we want to progress, we may need to look at better options.

No doubt about it. We need an alternative that is not Ameobi. Cisse's form and general spirit seems to have lifted as of late, and that's all and well if he continues to play and score. Were he to get injured Jah forbid, we'd be totally fucked. Gouffran will get his chance to showcase his talents in front of goal. He strikes me as someone who understands that playing out wide does not mean he won't find himself in situations from which to score.

Oh and whoever it was with the Darren Bent comparisons.....come off it man!

Cisse was far more involved in general play last night than Bent was. He dropped deep and won the ball back for us on a couple of occasions. He also drifted out wide when we were under pressure, understanding that he could only provide an outlet to relieve our defence from wide positions, and didn't remain static in the center.

Just saw that interview on the official site - his english is coming on very well! Excellent to see.  Just can't stop harping about this guy's fantastic attitude and positivity. Really love to see that at this club.

In terms of his finishing and composure - the lack of chances he's had this season + the Ba issue + the overall team playing like shit has all added to his lack of composure as the pressure sort of mounted on him and he wasn't able to flourish in it. In terms of the Reading match, he took that header brilliantly and it was saved brilliantly. The shot from the Debuchy cross was not his best hit but again, the keeper did very well again.  Somebody mentioned a page before that he's always been making those runs, its that he doesn't get the ball/gets the ball a second too late and he's offside. Yesterday was evidence of a man who made the run BUT was found perfectly by Moussa with right weight and then Cisse composed himself and scored.  I always felt the chances that required him to take a touch or 2 were ones he'd miss as he seems like a man who loves to take shots first time - but he bagged this one and he'll score more as long as we give him a chance.

Was that his only real cut and dry chance yesterday? I remember 1 "offside" from the Moussa over the top ball and I also remember him nearly connecting with a classic Cisse volley off that Santon saved shot from the keeper if not for great defending.

I'm not sure I agree with the notion putting it through the keepers legs is not a good finish?

Not seen it back, but I'm sure he looks up before taking the shot?  What would have been better, going across him?  Massive chance of shanking it wide.  Trying to place it near post top corner?  Just lash it as hard as he can?  There's an element of luck involved in every goal.  Especially with Cisse, as he seems to struggle to score 'normal' goals or tap ins!

First touch out of his feet, doesn't let the keeper get set, then slots it home.  Aye, terrible finish Papiss.  You must do better next time :lol:

Knocking his finish for going through the keepers legs man :lol:

He got into position and finished it well, it wasn't an emphatic thunderbastard in under the postage stamp - which we know he is capable of - but he did what was needed, had he tried to curl one either side of the keeper or tried to power it past him he may have got a hand to it (last week for example), he may not have, we don't know. What we do know is that this week his name was on the score sheet.