Papiss Cissé

Guest kingdawson

Happy Cisse has left?  

239 members have voted

1. 1. Happy Cisse has left?

• Yes
    • No

There's some aspects of his game that I truly dislike. The early, first time shot is up there. So much harder, when he could just take a touch and leave himself with an easier finish.

The offside s*** is unbelievable.

That's it. Thing is last season those early first time shots were busting the net. All players are confidence players really, but you sense that he's especially mojo-driven. If he's feeling lucky, he'll waft his foot at anything and expect it to go in

Yep. That was always my biggest concern with Cisse. A lot of his goals where difficult blockbuster goals. Difficult to keep that level up. More tap-ins and bungled in goals please.

Totally disagree about the early shots, they're essential to his game. A lot of the goals he has scored in his career are because of them.

He at least needs to learn when he does and doesn't have time to take a touch and be composed. He shoots early even when there's no need.

quite often the early shot catches the keeper out. he's practically a one in two striker throughout his career. he nneds to just keep on getting into the positions and getting decent contact on the ball and the goals will come. strikers have days like he did on saturday and the main thing was that he still gets the chances after being played out of position for so long.

if he misses chances like saturday over a few weeks then it may be time to worry about him.

I'm not saying wait and assess the situation, because that will inevitably lose him any advantage he has in shooting early, but he could do with having more awareness of his surroundings. That even applies to the unnecessary number of times he's offside.

I'm not saying wait and assess the situation, because that will inevitably lose him any advantage he has in shooting early, but he could do with having more awareness of his surroundings. That even applies to the unnecessary number of times he's offside.

can't really see the problem, his awareness when on the ball seems very good, especially when laying it off. as for offsides he's about par for the course for a forward playing off the shoulder.

on a side note i think the time is coming when some players will deliberatly stray off side to push the defence up in the expectation of a team mate using that to run in behind them.

can't really see the problem, his awareness when on the ball seems very good, especially when laying it off. as for offsides he's about par for the course for a forward playing off the shoulder.

on a side note i think the time is coming when some players will deliberatly stray off side to push the defence up in the expectation of a team mate using that to run in behind them.

Don't get me wrong, I really rate Cisse, but playing off the shoulder doesn't excuse some of his offsides. For example, the one Shola tried to play in to him against early on Reading - at no point was he ever onside, so it's not like he's made a run off the last man expecting the ball, he just wasn't paying attention. He does get offside more than most.

In my eyes there is either a lack of concentration or lack of awareness, at times, with both his shooting early and his offsides. It's clearly sporadic because as you say, his awareness is pretty decent at other times when laying the ball off etc, but I think you would have to be turning a blind eye to not see that he can make improvements in this area.

Guest tollemache

As a sidenote, I found myself imitating an East African accent in the pub the other day while talking about Cisse and was accused of racism. Big argument ensued about it being no different from putting on an Irish accent on the one hand, and it implicitly mocking black / poor people on the other. I reckon objecting on those grounds is racism in itself.

As a sidenote, I found myself imitating an East African accent in the pub the other day while talking about Cisse and was accused of racism. Big argument ensued about it being no different from putting on an Irish accent on the one hand, and it implicitly mocking black / poor people on the other. I reckon objecting on those grounds is racism in itself.

It is not racist, especially if you actually know what a Senegalese accent sounds like!

Guest tollemache

I think I've a vague idea. I'll happily admit that it might have been a slightly generic African accent. Touch of Ladysmith Black Mambazo about it perhaps

He's not East African like. Whenever you  talk in an accent from a different "race" or the predominant ethnicity in a society you run the risk of being called racist. If a black person put on an Indian accent you might think he was being racist.

Back to the point. Cisse needs to learn the offside rule. I'm glad we didn't land Remy. I want a striker who wants the ball at his feet not ahead of him. That's why Best/BA worked well. Best liked it into feet then Ba would look to get in behind the defence. Same with Shearer/Bellamy

Who do you think would be an ideal strike partner for Cisse if it was going to be a two man attack ?

I know we are looking at maybe a striker who can play wide left of a front three but at times I think people are forming an opinion on the type of partner Cisse needs based on how he played alongside Ba. I think the failings in that partnership were more to do with Ba than Cisse, so we cannot vase how Cisse will do with a certain type of partner based on that alone.

A Berba/Bergkamp type..with the right style of football...

Good call. Someone said Beardsley who worked well with Cole. Also Bebeto was a very good foil for Romario with Brazil a good few years back.

A Berba/Bergkamp type..with the right style of football...

Good call. Someone said Beardsley who worked well with Cole. Also Bebeto was a very good foil for Romario with Brazil a good few years back.

Would it work in a 4-3-3 which is what we are hopefully looking towards? I love Berbatov and wish we had signed him, but if we are going 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 then that player becomes redundant unless we drop Cisse. 442 on the other hand would suit (more of a 4-2-1-1).

Quick but technical wingers are needed to supply Cisse. Ben Arfa is a good start, remains to be seen how Gouffran can fit into it. I wasn't against Obertan being on the left for that first half against Arsenal for example, and it pins opposition full backs back.