Papiss Cissé

Guest kingdawson

Happy Cisse has left?  

240 members have voted

1. 1. Happy Cisse has left?

• Yes
    • No

Our best player, tbh. Definitely the one player in the squad who is most viable to play for a 'top' club.

NSIS

I'd have said Cabaye but while he disappeared over both legs Cisse turned up.

Why only consider the two matches with Benfica? How about the likes of Ben Arfa, Mbiwa, Cabaye (indeed) or Krul? If anything I'd say the big clubs will look at Cisse's lack of consistency and steer well clear.

Ben Arfa, too injury prone. Mbiwa, hasn't shown enough yet. Cabaye, too many times he has games like against Benfica.

Didn't think about Krul, maybe.

Cisse is the most likely, Bayern were strongly interested before he came here.

Well, if I was the manager of a "top club" I would look at the chances Cisse missed in those two matches you conventiently use to discard Cabaye as a stronger candidate to succeed at a higher level and think his 'erraticness' may have cost us the tie..

Yeah but you have an agenda. He had two excellent all-round games in both legs and was desperately unlucky not to score more than the two he got.

Strikers who can hit the net consistently at the top level are worth their weight in gold. When we are in a situation where we don't have one people might start to appreciate that more.

Our best player, tbh. Definitely the one player in the squad who is most viable to play for a 'top' club.

NSIS

Why only consider the two matches with Benfica? How about the likes of Ben Arfa, Mbiwa, Cabaye (indeed) or Krul? If anything I'd say the big clubs will look at Cisse's lack of consistency and steer well clear.

Ben Arfa, too injury prone. Mbiwa, hasn't shown enough yet. Cabaye, too many times he has games like against Benfica.

Well, if I was the manager of a "top club" I would look at the chances Cisse missed in those two matches you conventiently use to discard Cabaye as a stronger candidate to succeed at a higher level and think his 'erraticness' may have cost us the tie..

Yeah but you have an agenda. He had two excellent all-round games in both legs and was desperately unlucky not to score more than the two he got.

What is my agenda? :lol:

Strikers who can hit the net consistently at the top level are worth their weight in gold. When we are in a situation where we don't have one people might start to appreciate that more.

Yeah, no thanks. It's bad enough with only one.

I'm still a huge fan of his and think we miss the subtle things to his game massively when he's not available.

Dribbling is his Cabaye's biggest weakness as a player. Not that he needs to be Ben Arfa, but it costs him in many situations where he is unable to turn away from a player or take somebody out of the game. It means when he is outnumbered or the opposition press him particularly well he can look  a bit lost. Even more so in our side with a lack of movement and players not showing for passes to help him with an out that is more suited to his gane.

Reminds me of a poor mans Xabi Alonso in that sense..... he too looks a bit lost when pressed and struggles with dribbling difference being he has Di Maria, Ozil, Benzema and CR showing for a pass  :laugh:

I do think he's good enough for a top club but i can see what you are saying.

NSIS

You don't like him. Because he's an erratic instinct goalscorer rather than a shilky Dutch mashter with great allround technical ability you will consistently criticise him.

NSIS

Luck has nothing to do with it. He played well but was wasteful.

NSIS

You don't like him. Because he's an erratic instinct goalscorer rather than a shilky Dutch mashter with great allround technical ability you will consistently criticise him.

I do like him. He seems a good character, and he brings important qualities to the table, especially for a side like us that isn't exactly overflowing with attacking talent. People who have been saying he needs to be played centrally in 1 4-3-3 have been proven correct, that appears to be his best position, and I can even stomach the stereotypical "give him service and he will score" to an extent. But I also have big worries about him, the main ones being:

- he doesn't score enough and neither do our other players to be able to afford to play a 4-3-3 with him as a lone striker for us to challenge for Europe consistently, which is where I want us to be. This season his own chance conversion ratio is nowhere near good enough, and it's cost us many valuable points.

- he is purely a converter of chances, not a creator. He seems unable to fashion a chance for himself out of nothing other than by speculative long range efforts, or to create chances for his team mates.

- he seems to lack intelligence in certain situations, i.e. staying onside or showing composure by laying it off when somebody else is much better placed, which often breaks down our play.

- physically he isn't exactly commanding, meaning for example he is hardly ever a threat from set pieces or gets into a goalscoring position unless he isn't tightly marked.

Now I know this goes against popular opinion, but it's the way I see it. We heavily rely on him, because we have no realistic alternatives, and I hardly want him gone or anything, but I do feel he is overrated by many on here..

Guest icemanblue

Not sure about that i felt the two chances that hit the post in Lisbon was desperately unlucky.

The second especially. On a dry pitch, that's in. The spin was taking it inside the post, but it took a flat bounce off the greasy surface. Almost the definition of unlucky. :lol:

Even if you ignore those two (and for the dinked effort I don't think not hitting the target is an issue of luck btw - objectively it's just not hitting the target - the deflected one, fair enough) he still had chances and spurned them over the two legs. The header he got far too much on, the Bigi pass which he failed to control, the first offside goal where he could have been on-side and still made the ball. That's a hat-trick of chances he could have had in addition to the tap-in header he did get. I'm not saying "get rid" before there's any OTT reaction to my posts, but he did waste a fair few chances - I don't know how that can be denied. His overall game was good though as I've said.

Even if you ignore those two (and for the dinked effort I don't think not hitting the target is an issue of luck btw - objectively it's just not hitting the target - the deflected one, fair enough) he still had chances and spurned them over the two legs. The header he got far too much on, the Bigi pass which he failed to control, the first offside goal where he could have been on-side and still made the ball. That's a hat-trick of chances he could have had in addition to the tap-in header he did get. I'm not saying "get rid" before there's any OTT reaction to my posts, but he did waste a fair few chances - I don't know how that can be denied. His overall game was good though as I've said.

:thup:

NSIS

I do like him. He seems a good character, and he brings important qualities to the table, especially for a side like us that isn't exactly overflowing with attacking talent. People who have been saying he needs to be played centrally in 1 4-3-3 have been proven correct, that appears to be his best position, and I can even stomach the stereotypical "give him service and he will score" to an extent. But I also have big worries about him, the main ones being:

- he doesn't score enough and neither do our other players to be able to afford to play a 4-3-3 with him as a lone striker for us to challenge for Europe consistently, which is where I want us to be. This season his own chance conversion ratio is nowhere near good enough, and it's cost us many valuable points.

- he is purely a converter of chances, not a creator. He seems unable to fashion a chance for himself out of nothing other than by speculative long range efforts, or to create chances for his team mates.

- he seems to lack intelligence in certain situations, i.e. staying onside or showing composure by laying it off when somebody else is much better placed, which often breaks down our play.

- physically he isn't exactly commanding, meaning for example he is hardly ever a threat from set pieces or gets into a goalscoring position unless he isn't tightly marked.

Now I know this goes against popular opinion, but it's the way I see it. We heavily rely on him, because we have no realistic alternatives, and I hardly want him gone or anything, but I do feel he is overrated by many on here..

What about his chance conversion last season playing in a confident, functioning side and in his best position the majority of the time? Was he good enough during that spell?

I don't understand how you can draw out a whole list of criticisms for Cisse, yet spent the entire summer pining to bring the greasy lump back.

NSIS

I think you're underrating him :p He's playing in a team that has no idea how to mount a decent attack.

Not many strikers would do well in that sort of tactical climate, yet he's making a damn good job of it!

Not sure about that i felt the two chances that hit the post in Lisbon was desperately unlucky.

The second especially. On a dry pitch, that's in. The spin was taking it inside the post, but it took a flat bounce off the greasy surface. Almost the definition of unlucky. :lol:

Yep, the first one too ( which seems to have been forgotten amongst all this) that their GK some how got a finger tip on it to tip on to the post.

Both on another day would have gone in, but unfortunatly at this level these are the things that need to go your way and they didn't.

Fine lines.  :(

NSIS

What about his chance conversion last season playing in a confident, functioning side and in his best position the majority of the time? Was he good enough during that spell?

I don't understand how you can draw out a whole list of criticisms for Cisse, yet spent the entire summer pining to bring the greasy lump back.

Last year he was fantastic, I won't deny that. This year he hasn't been, and apparently I'm one of the few people on here who has noticed and/or is willing to call a spade a spade.

For goodness sake. He looks like scoring every game with sodding Jonas and Gouffran alongside him. Imagine if that was Ben Arfa and someone else.

I genuinely can't believe some of the posts in thread :lol: