Papiss Cissé

Guest kingdawson

Happy Cisse has left?  

240 members have voted

1. 1. Happy Cisse has left?

• Yes
    • No

Our best player, tbh. Definitely the one player in the squad who is most viable to play for a 'top' club.

NSIS

I'd have said Cabaye but while he disappeared over both legs Cisse turned up.

Why only consider the two matches with Benfica? How about the likes of Ben Arfa, Mbiwa, Cabaye (indeed) or Krul? If anything I'd say the big clubs will look at Cisse's lack of consistency and steer well clear.

Ben Arfa, too injury prone. Mbiwa, hasn't shown enough yet. Cabaye, too many times he has games like against Benfica.

Didn't think about Krul, maybe.

Cisse is the most likely, Bayern were strongly interested before he came here.

Well, if I was the manager of a "top club" I would look at the chances Cisse missed in those two matches you conventiently use to discard Cabaye as a stronger candidate to succeed at a higher level and think his 'erraticness' may have cost us the tie..

Yeah but you have an agenda. He had two excellent all-round games in both legs and was desperately unlucky not to score more than the two he got.

What is my agenda? :lol:

You don't like him. Because he's an erratic instinct goalscorer rather than a shilky Dutch mashter with great allround technical ability you will consistently criticise him.

I do like him. He seems a good character, and he brings important qualities to the table, especially for a side like us that isn't exactly overflowing with attacking talent. People who have been saying he needs to be played centrally in 1 4-3-3 have been proven correct, that appears to be his best position, and I can even stomach the stereotypical "give him service and he will score" to an extent. But I also have big worries about him, the main ones being:

- he doesn't score enough and neither do our other players to be able to afford to play a 4-3-3 with him as a lone striker for us to challenge for Europe consistently, which is where I want us to be. This season his own chance conversion ratio is nowhere near good enough, and it's cost us many valuable points.

- he is purely a converter of chances, not a creator. He seems unable to fashion a chance for himself out of nothing other than by speculative long range efforts, or to create chances for his team mates.

- he seems to lack intelligence in certain situations, i.e. staying onside or showing composure by laying it off when somebody else is much better placed, which often breaks down our play.

- physically he isn't exactly commanding, meaning for example he is hardly ever a threat from set pieces or gets into a goalscoring position unless he isn't tightly marked.

Now I know this goes against popular opinion, but it's the way I see it. We heavily rely on him, because we have no realistic alternatives, and I hardly want him gone or anything, but I do feel he is overrated by many on here..

What about his chance conversion last season playing in a confident, functioning side and in his best position the majority of the time? Was he good enough during that spell?

I don't understand how you can draw out a whole list of criticisms for Cisse, yet spent the entire summer pining to bring the greasy lump back.

Last year he was fantastic, I won't deny that. This year he hasn't been, and apparently I'm one of the few people on here who has noticed and/or is willing to call a spade a spade.

Alreet Di Canio, nee need for that like.

He hasn't been as good this season for a plethora of reasons, IMO, not just his own poor performances.

He's been great since Ba left for the most part, who cares what happened before that is the past leave it well alone.

He's basically the only one scoring goals at the moment and at a very good rate at that, get some more creativity out on the pitch and some more players who can score for next season and his rate of scoring will shoot up some more.

He has 6 in his last 10 games.... has the rest of the team even scored 6 in that time span? he is the last person who should be receiving criticism.

If anyone was actually expecting him to be as good as last season they're a bit mental. We'd have one of the best strikers in the world if he was. If he can get 1 in 2 on average (which he has since Ba left) from now on I'll be delighted.

Our best player, tbh. Definitely the one player in the squad who is most viable to play for a 'top' club.

NSIS

Why only consider the two matches with Benfica? How about the likes of Ben Arfa, Mbiwa, Cabaye (indeed) or Krul? If anything I'd say the big clubs will look at Cisse's lack of consistency and steer well clear.

Ben Arfa, too injury prone. Mbiwa, hasn't shown enough yet. Cabaye, too many times he has games like against Benfica.

Well, if I was the manager of a "top club" I would look at the chances Cisse missed in those two matches you conventiently use to discard Cabaye as a stronger candidate to succeed at a higher level and think his 'erraticness' may have cost us the tie..

Yeah but you have an agenda. He had two excellent all-round games in both legs and was desperately unlucky not to score more than the two he got.

You don't like him. Because he's an erratic instinct goalscorer rather than a shilky Dutch mashter with great allround technical ability you will consistently criticise him.

I do like him. He seems a good character, and he brings important qualities to the table, especially for a side like us that isn't exactly overflowing with attacking talent. People who have been saying he needs to be played centrally in 1 4-3-3 have been proven correct, that appears to be his best position, and I can even stomach the stereotypical "give him service and he will score" to an extent. But I also have big worries about him, the main ones being:

- he doesn't score enough and neither do our other players to be able to afford to play a 4-3-3 with him as a lone striker for us to challenge for Europe consistently, which is where I want us to be. This season his own chance conversion ratio is nowhere near good enough, and it's cost us many valuable points.

- he is purely a converter of chances, not a creator. He seems unable to fashion a chance for himself out of nothing other than by speculative long range efforts, or to create chances for his team mates.

- he seems to lack intelligence in certain situations, i.e. staying onside or showing composure by laying it off when somebody else is much better placed, which often breaks down our play.

- physically he isn't exactly commanding, meaning for example he is hardly ever a threat from set pieces or gets into a goalscoring position unless he isn't tightly marked.

Now I know this goes against popular opinion, but it's the way I see it. We heavily rely on him, because we have no realistic alternatives, and I hardly want him gone or anything, but I do feel he is overrated by many on here..

Good summary.

The last point doesn't get aired enough. He doesn't relish a physical challenge. Maybe he's just playing to his strengths, which is seeking gaps between defenders, and it least it means he's hardly ever injured. But situations do arise when you want a striker who will put pressure on his opponent physically.

NSIS

Good summary.

The last point doesn't get aired enough. He doesn't relish a physical challenge. Maybe he's just playing to his strengths, which is seeking gaps between defenders, and it least it means he's hardly ever injured. But situations do arise when you want a striker who will put pressure on his opponent physically.

Which is exactly why we need to get one in the summer. Someone to turn aimless rubbish into half-chances for him.

NSIS

Good summary.

Which is exactly why we need to get one in the summer. Someone to turn aimless rubbish into half-chances for him.

Additionally his lack of physical presence and threat from set-pieces makes his scoring record more impressive. 

We don't need someone to turn aimless rubbish into half-chances for him.

We just don't need to play those aimless rubbish in the first place.

When you've got somebody on the end of a high ball capable of taking it down or laying it off effectively and consistently, i.e. do something useful with it more often than not, it stops being "aimless rubbish", doesn't it? I am not saying we should be a long ball team before anybody jumps on my back, but a good Premiership team in my opinion should be able to mix it up.

Annoys me when you see offsides not given every week, even the Dortmund game on wednesday and yet we never seem to get the benefit of the doubt with Papiss. Damn linesman doing his job! :)

Saying he doesn't score enough goals is extraordinary. He's a goal machine who went through a bit of a drought, like Demba Ba did, like Rooney regularly does, like van Persie is at the moment.

The amount of toys thrown out of the pram this season by certain people about Cisse has been pathetic.

Saying he doesn't score enough goals is extraordinary. He's a goal machine who went through a bit of a drought, like Demba Ba did, like Rooney regularly does, like van Persie is at the moment.

The amount of toys thrown out of the pram this season by certain people about Cisse has been pathetic.

I'm agreeing with you a lot today!

:thup:

We don't need someone to turn aimless rubbish into half-chances for him.

We just don't need to play those aimless rubbish in the first place.

When you've got somebody on the end of a high ball capable of taking it down or laying it off effectively and consistently, i.e. do something useful with it more often than not, it stops being "aimless rubbish", doesn't it? I am not saying we should be a long ball team before anybody jumps on my back, but a good Premiership team in my opinion should be able to mix it up.

Thank god most people are moving beyond this mindset. Suarez would be a poor forward in some people's mind because he doesn't challenge the defenders physically enough.

8 goals in 30 Premiership games this season, 13 in 41 overall. Is that enough for you from a lone forward?

NSIS

I swear, this gives me a little bit of cancer every game, it's so f***ing annoying. It's like he went to check with Best for tips before he signed.

:best:

Guest icemanblue

I'm agreeing with you a lot today!

I think someone slipped Wullie some pink doves, last night. He must still be buzzin' off his nut.

8 goals in 30 Premiership games this season, 13 in 41 overall. Is that enough for you from a lone forward?

How many of those were as the lone forward? probably like 10 :lol:

How many of those were as a right winger? Probably like 5 :lol:

How many of those were as a forward, be it a lone forward or as part of a front 2? Probably like 25 :lol:

8 goals in 30 is not enough, whatever way you look at it, for your only striker in a 4-3-3 in a team aiming for European qualification.

I find it funny that the people who are most critical of Pardew are the ones who are most forgiving when it comes to Cisse's underachievement this season, considering the fact that if Cisse had anywhere near the same chance conversion rate as last season, we would be comfortably sitting in the top half of the table.

:thup:

How many of those were as a right winger? Probably like 5 :lol:

How many of those were as a forward, be it a lone forward or as part of a front 2? Probably like 25 :lol:

8 goals in 30 is not enough, whatever way you look at it, for your only striker in a 4-3-3 in a team aiming for European qualification.

I find it funny that the people who are most critical of Pardew are the ones who are most forgiving when it comes to Cisse's underachievement this season, considering the fact that if Cisse had anywhere near the same chance conversion rate as last season, we would be comfortably sitting in the top half of the table.

:anguish:

Everyone knows he was was s**** till Ba left man ffs :lol:

Fact is he has 8 in 16 since Ba left and 6 in his last 10, i don't give a s*** what happened in first half of year its gone and the team is different its time to move on.

I'm perfectly happy to move on. In fact, I've frequently praised him for getting back to goalscoring form in the past few weeks. It just grinds my gears after the season he's had to see people claim he is easily our best player who "will score goals as long as he gets service". It's like he's not even partly responsible himself for the difference in achievement level between this season and last, or for our underachievement as a club this term.

Everyone knows he was was s**** till Ba left man ffs :lol:

Fact is he has 8 in 16 since Ba left and 6 in his last 10, i don't give a s*** what happened in first half of year its gone and the team is different its time to move on.

I understand Unbelievable's comments, but your post Mole is spot on. Ever since Ba left he's been coming back to his oldself. He's still missing a lot and sometimes is brainless, but he is scoring goals and that's what matters.