Papiss Cissé

Guest kingdawson

Happy Cisse has left?  

240 members have voted

1. 1. Happy Cisse has left?

• Yes
    • No

Assists don't matter, wtf?  :lol:

The assist stat doesn't mean anything on it's own, no. Which is what IO actually said if you were to read the whole 1 line post in it's entirety.

It doesn't mean anything on its own? Wtf are you talking about?  :lol:

The assist stat doesn't mean anything on it's own, no. Which is what IO actually said if you were to read the whole 1 line post in it's entirety.

Use your brain and think about it ffs.

Use your brain and think about it ffs.

Is it an anagram for something that makes sense? Give me a clue please, I'm no good at these brain teasers.

Cisse can set someone through 1-on-1 with the keeper, if they score he gets an assist, if they miss he doesn't, neither of those outcomes affect Cisse's actual contribution. On the other hand Cisse could roll the ball to Hatem 40 yards from goal who then precedes to skin 2 players and rifle in a thunder bastard, he gets an assist for that, if Hatem was to skin 2 players and then hit the corner flag he doesn't. It's a pointless number on it's own and simply saying "He only got 3 assists!" means very little.

Fwiw I don't think he's the most creative striker out there, far from it, and we would be better off with many other a player when he's off form and not scoring goals.

Cisse can set someone through 1-on-1 with the keeper, if they score he gets an assist, if they miss he doesn't, neither of those outcomes affect Cisse's actual contribution. On the other hand Cisse could roll the ball to Hatem 40 yards from goal who then precedes to skin 2 players and rifle in a thunder bastard, he gets an assist for that, if Hatem was to skin 2 players and then hit the corner flag he doesn't. It's a pointless number on it's own and simply saying "He only got 3 assists!" means very little.

Fwiw I don't think he's the most creative striker out there, far from it, and we would be better off with many other a player when he's off form and not scoring goals.

Righto now I get you. I agree, assists are very hard to judge when you rely on another party to finish it off and give you the assist, but I believe there is some indication as to whether a player contributes to the team in assist stats, but it can't be an absolute due to its nature, suppose that's why people then pull up 3rd assists and stuff like that.

Guest bimpy474

I love Cisse but part of me does worry, his hold up play is awful, his offside brain decisions are worse than a blind tramps.

I'm a bit "meh" with the news he might leave. Feels all wrong.

I love Cisse but part of me does worry, his hold up play is awful, his offside brain decisions are worse than a blind tramps.

I'm a bit "meh" with the news he might leave. Feels all wrong.

Which is why i hope the reports of looking at 2 strikers (one a targetman and one a Bellamy type) are true but i don't want to sell him to finance them.

Back to square one then.

We shouldn't even think about letting him go for £15m.

:thup: In case no-one has realised we currently have 3.5 strikers on the books and one of them is Shola and the other is an untried kid.

At the time though, I remember a lot of people wanting Ba out the door too, we seem to go on a witch hunt from one player to the other

I would say a majority wanted Ba outwide so that Cisse could play up top. I also remember the majority thinking results and performances would drastically improve with such a move.

we lack presence and hold up play in the final third, and a ballplayer. Cisse is neither, he is a pure finisher. Thats all good and dandy if we had a person who could force our attacks into the final third and hold up the ball for the midfield to get in there. Right now that man is Shola, and I think we all can agree on him not being good enough.

This.

I'd sell for £20m in a heartbeat tbh. £15-18m it would depend on wrapping up deals for two other strikers.

I don't think there's a top striker going for that money who is so poor outside the penalty box.

Anyway you shape it, 8 goals is a horrible return. that's Shane Long type numbers without the pace to really help the team.

You also probably thought Cisse would start banging them in playing in a central position.

Ba on the left of a front 3 with Cisse in the middle. Yes, i thought that would work. What with their being a precedent an 'all.

You also probably thought Cisse would start banging them in playing in a central position.

Probably, I still think he will.

he may, next season. But you and a lot of this board were very wrong earlier in the season. You let personal bias cloud your judgement, the horrible penalty he took should've made it obvious Cisse's problems were bigger than occasionally playing wide.

Ba on the left of a front 3 with Cisse in the middle. Yes, i thought that would work. What with their being a precedent an 'all.

Football isn't that simple. Cisse scored at least half his goals in a 4-4-2 as well. Everything he did was amazing when he first came, it was obvious 6 games into the season it wouldn't be the same and it would be a tougher season for him.

Just look at Jelavic at Everton. Moyes did't persist with the same thing that worked towards the end of the previous season and it ended with Jelavic coming off the bench for most of the second half of the season.

If you actually saw Cisse play, I don't see how you could think everything would be solved and he'd go back to scoring a wonder goal every game if you moved Ba wide and kept him up top.

Even IF we did sell him for above 20 and we DID buy 2 strikers of genuine quality then we would still lack depth.

Which is my problem with all of this, why can't we buy two strikers and not sell him? why do we have to sell to finance new signings all the bloody time.