sunderland

JH

Where has this belief that they were only 2-3 players away from a team of our quality came from?

An extra 5 goals from Fletcher isn't going to make them a fantastic team.

Johnson is a good signing but he must be taking Larsson's place. This means they no longer have Larsson's service into the box or his defensive contribution. Johnson plays a Ben Arfa style role and will leave them open for attack down that side.

it's very similar to last season but for differing reasons.

Ain't half fucking coming out of the woodwork tonight. Cunts.

They've just spent the thick end of £25m in a single day. What were you expecting?

Can you imagine this place if we spent a similar amount in 1 day? :lol:

Well if we spent £25m it'd be on 5 or 6 world class players, probably ;D

Dilewshenal marra.

Where has this belief that they were only 2-3 players away from a team of our quality came from?

Johnson is a good signing but he must be taking Larsson's place. This means they no longer have Larsson's service into the box or his defensive contribution. Johnson plays a Ben Arfa style role and will leave them open for attack down that side.

Larsson will play central, he did on Sat.

Just been bombarded by tweets from mackems in last half hour because i said Fletcher and Johnson would'nt start for us :lol:

Saying i'm jealous we can't have Johnson and Fletcher and i'm a " delusional geordie"

Yeah i'm real jealous because we don't have Ba, Cisse and Ben Arfa oh wait.....

Hopefully reality will hit home for some of them one day, but i doubt it.

Guest James1892

He take "the next big thing" Colback's place?

Just been bombarded by tweets from mackems in last half hour because i said Fletcher and Johnson would'nt start for us :lol:

Saying i'm jealous we can't have Johnson and Fletcher and i'm a " delusional geordie"

Yeah i'm real jealous because we don't have Ba, Cisse and Ben Arfa oh wait.....

Hopefully reality will hit home for some of them one day, but i doubt it.

fletcher certainly wouldn't and i'd personally pick ben arfa over johnson.

I had them down as relegation candidates a few days ago, now I think they will be comfortably midtable. They are deluded if they think they are a threat to us though.

Hopefully in the correct thread this time.  :dave:

He take "the next big thing" Colback's place?

Probably go to LB since Richardson wants away or they'll rotate him/Larsson/Cattermole.

Larsson is too important from dead balls on which O'Neill teams have always focused to simply jettison out their team IMO.

Guest reefatoon

It's just the natural Mackem cycle of life.  They have now hit the "setting the transfer window alight"stage, where they will go on a couple of wins, leaving them all dribbling and drooling at the thought of being NETD, leading up to the derby match, where they think their superior team will play us off the park . . . . After we t*** them, then they sulk off, they go on a bit of a s*** run, and the manager gets stick/sacked, end season with a whimper. then it's roll on August 2013, when that transfer market gets torched again and on and on

It's just the natural Mackem cycle of life.  They have now hit the "setting the transfer window alight"stage, where they will go on a couple of wins, leaving them all dribbling and drooling at the thought of being NETD, leading up to the derby match, where they think their superior team will play us off the park . . . . After we t*** them, then they sulk off, they go on a bit of a s*** run, and the manager gets stick/sacked, end season with a whimper. then it's roll on August 2013, when that transfer market gets torched again and on and on

jesus.  Putting it that way, the life cycle of a med fly seems marginally brighter.  Give 'em some credit for perpetually supporting a shit team.

Guest James1892

Haha someone needs to re-post that Shite Seats Mackem Boom/Bust Cycle again. Definitely at the 'Mags green with envy' stage.

Always considered that I had a bit of steel.  I could go to Libya in the middle of a revolution.  However, after looking on this forum in its several forms for over a decade, I could never find the courage to get any closer to Sunderland than Newcastle. 

Am starting to think it's  a well-hidden Xanadu now.

Bit cringey on here tonight, shades of RTG tbh.

Whether you like it not they have a decent first team now, not as good as ours I wouldn't say but its much closer.

Mc Clean on the left with a midfield central three of Cattermole, Colback and Sessegnon, Johnson on the right and Fletcher up top isn't bad at all tbh.

Not going to lower myself to their level and clutch at straws, they have a decent starting side now, deal with it.

Well that's the beauty of forums, there's different opinions.  Some people think they've done well today, some of us don't agree. At least most viewpoints on here are backed up with logic, whereas on RTG they just call you a kernt and use excessive block capitals.

sort of agree with tiotes witch doctor, they've a decent starting side now and one we will need to be very wary of when we play them

don't see why they shouldn't get a bit excited about spending some money tbh, makes football exciting as a fan (although we all know how it's likely to end through bitter experience)

Bit cringey on here tonight, shades of RTG tbh.

Whether you like it not they have a decent first team now, not as good as ours I wouldn't say but its much closer.

Mc Clean on the left with a midfield central three of Cattermole, Colback and Sessegnon, Johnson on the right and Fletcher up top isn't bad at all tbh.

Not going to lower myself to their level and clutch at straws, they have a decent starting side now, deal with it.

Pretty much everyone agrees they've improved with the signings they've made, there's just discussion on how much of an upgrade they are compared to last season, which is normal. There are still 9 better teams in the division in my opinion, I think they'll finish 10th which would be good for them.

sort of agree with tiotes witch doctor, they've a decent starting side now and one we will need to be very wary of when we play them

don't see why they shouldn't get a bit excited about spending some money tbh, makes football exciting as a fan (although we all know how it's likely to end through bitter experience)

Depends how you spend it, doesn't it? We've got plenty of people on here who would qualify this transfer window a failure for our club unless Ashley brings out his wallet and splashes some cash. I don't think they've necessarily spent badly; they've brought in the best they reasonably can get with their club profile and UK based transfer strategy courtesy of Martin O'Neill.

If I was a sunderland fan I'd be looking past the money spent and I'd be pretty happy. certainly in the short term. Down the line when there's no cash to spend I'd start to get worried. As a Newcastle fan I'm already looking at the longer term side of things but in the short term they're definitely mid-table which is decent. I think they could get 9th at best. As much as I like Fletcher, he's not a proper goalscorer and there's not anyone approaching that in their side

Depends how you spend it, doesn't it? We've got plenty of people on here who would qualify this transfer window a failure for our club unless Ashley brings out his wallet and splashes some cash. I don't think they've necessarily spent badly; they've brought in the best they reasonably can get with their club profile and UK based transfer strategy courtesy of Martin O'Neill.

yeah our strategy is simply not comparable to theirs, they're playing shepherd-ball still in a way...but at the end of the day these two signings have improved them on the pitch, there's no arguing about that

they'll feel they can challenge for a european spot next season, and rightly so imo if they click and keep people fit

If I was a sunderland fan I'd be looking past the money spent and I'd be pretty happy. certainly in the short term. Down the line when there's no cash to spend I'd start to get worried. As a Newcastle fan I'm already looking at the longer term side of things but in the short term they're definitely mid-table which is decent. I think they could get 9th at best. As much as I like Fletcher, he's not a proper goalscorer and there's not anyone approaching that in their side

Fletcher is more of a 8-12 goal a season striker than anyone profilic I agree but, they have goals from other areas too, I seem to remember Johnson being good in front of goal, Mc Clean seems to pop up with a few, and we know Sessegnon can pitch in with more than most of our midfielders would.

They seem very good defensively under O'neill but never had the attacking prowess to kill teams off with goals. Now they have that capability I think they will be good, could see a potential 7th place for finish for them at best, but no higher than that, and 7th is pushing it slightly.

This is it for them though, this is the best it gets for them.

They've got, by their own admission, the best manager they could wish to have, they've got a chairman in Short who is respected in the financial world who has made funds available to back O'Neill. Manager + Chairman + Cash. With this little equation they've got everything in place, there are no more excuses for them. It either happens now or it's ever going to happen in their lifetime.

The expectations have been raised now with this injection of cash. Let's see how they cope with the pressure of having to deliver week after week after week.