sunderland

JH

Reading fans did when he was linked with the job - apparently made the board quite aware di Canio wasn't wanted.

Fair enough, I just can't remember too much publicity for this in the past.

To be fair, Reading aren't as big news as the mackems are.

Just been on Channel 4, Mackem lass in supporters club saying as long as he beats Newcastle he can be or do what he wants because that is their season. They really are so small time :lol:

it's disturbing the way people will throw away everything they believe in, in order to protect something else, like the parent who denies their child can do any wrong despite what they witness.

we've seen it before to a lesser degree, liverpool fans defence of suarez and to an even lesser degree the defence on here of andy carroll (ie doesn't matter what he does providing he's playing well for us) but this seems to be on a differing scale and I'm not 100% sure many of our fans wouldn't have reacted in a similar manner.

disappointed but not at all surprised that a good few view things that way but a bit taken aback at how many. roles reveresed I wouldn't be going.

I think it's quite clear from this thread that among our own ranks we've got a fair few nuggets who would have defended this appointment, had it been us who'd made it.

:facepalm:

it's disturbing the way people will throw away everything they believe in, in order to protect something else, like the parent who denies their child can do any wrong despite what they witness.

we've seen it before to a lesser degree, liverpool fans defence of suarez and to an even lesser degree the defence on here of andy carroll (ie doesn't matter what he does providing he's playing well for us) but this seems to be on a differing scale and I'm not 100% sure many of our fans wouldn't have reacted in a similar manner.

disappointed but not at all surprised that a good few view things that way but a bit taken aback at how many. roles reveresed I wouldn't be going.

I think it's quite clear from this thread that among our own ranks we've got a fair few nuggets who would have defended this appointment, had it been us who'd made it.

Honestly? If you can redirect me to those who have suggested this then fair enough, but I don't believe for a second you will. No one is defending the appointment, I think a vast majority if not 99% of this thread all find it hilarious that they've gone for him and expect him to fail miserably. What other including me have suggested is that his political views have been blown up out of proportion and people are getting way to sensitive. (just for the hyperbole sake we shouldn't allow Mike in here, he is Obama's brother and the US is known for going against human rights on a fair amount of occasions) :lol:

Some people need to visit the world a bit, see how it works. Life is rougher than a mans view on some ideology. He isn't criminal, he's just a crazy ignorant man or a crazy exhibionist who doesn't know what he says. To call people nuggets for having a broader perspective on the world and voicing their opinion is exactly what a fascist would do btw.

Let him fail, let us laugh at him for failing and the mackems for appointing him. But let's not pretend like that if he had been here and succeeded we would still not be supporting our club. All this journalism and going back to his views is only causing more pressure on them, but let's not act like we are the worlds most perfect club in sense of signing people who represent our club.

EDIT:

No one is defending what he stands for, many are just questioning the importance relative to his job. Some are labelling him like he's some sort of criminal ffs.

There is a difference though in people defending the appointment and people defending the man and what he stands for. A lot of mackems seem to be defending the latter which is just fucking weird.

Ultimately if he does well at the club and keeps his personal views private this will all be forgotten about by next season imo. He's just a daft bloke with silly opinions, not a tyrant.

There is a difference though in people defending the appointment and people defending the man and what he stands for. A lot of mackems seem to be defending the latter which is just fucking weird.

Ultimately if he does well at the club and keeps his personal views private this will all be forgotten about by next season imo. He's just a daft bloke with silly opinions, not a tyrant.

I dunno. Seems to me that what the appointment, and SAFC's defence of it, will do is say, "It's fine to appoint someone who calls himself a fascist and does Nazi salutes in public." It validates the idea of fascism, says it's no big deal. And the next time something like this becomes an issue, the mackem example will be there to say it's all right. And it's not.

Even for fickle macums it's quite surprising how many of them have been prepared to slag off their own heritage, turn on "legends" like Gary Bennett and instantly forget their love for Marty, just to stand up for a fourth division nutcase.

There is a difference though in people defending the appointment and people defending the man and what he stands for. A lot of mackems seem to be defending the latter which is just f***ing weird.

:thup:

I dunno. Seems to me that what the appointment, and SAFC's defence of it, will do is say, "It's fine to appoint someone who calls himself a fascist and does Nazi salutes in public." It validates the idea of fascism, says it's no big deal. And the next time something like this becomes an issue, the mackem example will be there to say it's all right. And it's not.

I suppose we'll see, their PR seems horrific though so I wouldn't be surprised if they fuck the whole thing up  :lol:

Probably invade Shetland Islands or something.

I suppose we'll see, their PR seems horrific though so I wouldn't be surprised if they fuck the whole thing up  :lol:

They obviously hadn't thought through the PR approach beforehand. Their handling of it has been appalling, by any measure.

From what I've read about his approach to football he prefers to play a traditional 442 and is big on discipline above all else. Doesn't sound like a modern day football manager capable of managing a top flight side at all. I can't wait to see how his millionaire prima donnas will react to his management style, and in turn how their board and owner will react once they realise a number of their high earners are completely overlooked while they run down their contract/sold for a huge loss. I would love to know what Short's thinking was behind this appointment.

short's got as much clue as Ashley/llambias

I still cannot believe they let the bloke release a statement admitting he's a fascist :lol:

Didn't their CEO issue a statement to the effect that he has not said he's a fascist, and to infer he did is a slur on him and the club?

I think they're just making it up as they go along now.

One thing I've noticed about him straight away is that he loves to talk and give his opinion, he literally couldn't let any of the press have a word without a reply. He won't always have support on the sidelines trying to keep him and the press in check and is only a matter of time before he comes up with something unsuitable. The press must be loving this, they'll have bets on with each other, who'll be the first to make him snap. He's easily distracted as well, you could lead him down the garden path right in to the shitter.

From what I've read about his approach to football he prefers to play a traditional 442 and is big on discipline above all else. Doesn't sound like a modern day football manager capable of managing a top flight side at all. I can't wait to see how his millionaire prima donnas will react to his management style, and in turn how their board and owner will react once they realise a number of their high earners are completely overlooked while they run down their contract/sold for a huge loss. I would love to know what Short's thinking was behind this appointment.

short's got as much clue as Ashley/llambias

Our lot are streets ahead of Short.

They obviously hadn't thought through the PR approach beforehand. Their handling of it has been appalling, by any measure.

I'd love to know how their decision was arrived at and who was involved.  Quite staggering really.

I still cannot believe they let the bloke release a statement admitting he's a fascist :lol:

Didn't their CEO issue a statement to the effect that he has not said he's a fascist, and to infer he did is a slur on him and the club?

I think they're just making it up as they go along now.

Aye, I think it was released alongside a statement from him effectively saying "I'm a fascist because my parents brought me up to be."

Not sure why they didn't just ignore it until it blew over, or stated that his opinions were misguided and/or blown out of proportion.

One thing I've noticed about him straight away is that he loves to talk and give his opinion, he literally couldn't let any of the press have a word without a reply. He won't always have support on the sidelines trying to keep him and the press in check and is only a matter of time before he comes up with something unsuitable. The press must be loving this, they'll have bets on with each other, who'll be the first to make him snap. He's easily distracted as well, you could lead him down the garden path right in to the shitter.

possibly that, possibly, like many who hold distasteful views, they've learned the best way to avoid challenges and questioning is to not let others speak.

it could all have been cleared up today if he'd just said "no, I'm not a fascist" and came up with some excuse as to why he'd said it in the past, but he couldn't and that spoke volumes.

I noticed he's already appointed the people who do all the actual coaching. Quick.

In todays press conference he has said he watched their matches against Norwich and Man Utd.

I'd guess this appointment was on the cards for longer than saturday night.

In fact, total sport suggested last night that O'Neills backroom staff had been told to clear out their stuff at the academy on Friday, and that he himself took satrudays match knowing he was already being binned.

I noticed he's already appointed the people who do all the actual coaching. Quick.

In todays press conference he has said he watched their matches against Norwich and Man Utd.

I'd guess this appointment was on the cards for longer than saturday night.

In fact, total sport suggested last night that O'Neills backroom staff had been told to clear out their stuff at the academy on Friday, and that he himself took satrudays match knowing he was already being binned.

Good, means he and his back room staff will have received a nice payoff, that'll be a 3rd of their new tv money spent already on getting rid of him.