sunderland

JH

Guest Chubby Jason

Top 8 is doable on a consistent basis if he stays there for the next few years. I still think he can take a step up to a bigger club than Sunderland though so I don't see this being his last job at all.

He should have took Villa higher really considering how they started seasons.

Stubborness in team selections always meant they tailed off second half of the season and like Baba said a lack of creativity in the transfer market stopped them breaking in the way Spurs have. They spent just as much as Spurs but their net didn't spread as far and wide so you inevitably have a lower success rate.

Give him a long term project like Sunderland and he will succeed.

What counts as succeeding? He won't get them as high as he got Villa considering how other teams have improved and having much more to spend at Villa.

Have to say (honestly) I never rated him that highly, always thought he was bigger on bullshit than substance.

Whenever his name was bandied around for us I always hoped not, but concede that quite a few did want him.

I'd have been more concerned if they'd made a Rodgers,Lambert or even Adkins type appointment. I just don't see a 60 year old Martin O'Niell pushing them on, especially with what he's inherited.

Go on Martin, increase your bid for Davies please O0

Realistically, it's the only way we're going to get our debt down by getting rid of the big earners.

Allardyce's 'quick fixes' and short-termism are part of the reason we're in this debt mess. Megson, for all his failings, at least signed some young players with potential sell-on value. Coyle is doing that more emphatically. It's very risky, especially as we're embroiled in a relegation battle, but it's the only way out really.

£250k is quite a low amount actually so how much would it take for a bid to be accepted?

Villa topped out at 6th. They're a bigger club, with better investment and at a time where there were less decent teams competing for those positions. I don't buy that Sunderland are going to become European contenders with this fella in charge, he's just too stubborn to get a team any further.

That may be enough for them, but I doubt it, because it'll get to a point where they expect a decent finish, and people will become frustrated with his inadequacies.

Top 8 is doable on a consistent basis if he stays there for the next few years. I still think he can take a step up to a bigger club than Sunderland though so I don't see this being his last job at all.

Surely after his success with Villa he should have then made the step up from Villa rather than a step down to a smaller club?

He won't ever get the job at Man U/Chelsea/Arsenal/Spurs/City because of his faults that you ignore. You need a bit more than master motivation skills and big target men to manage Man United.

Villa topped out at 6th. They're a bigger club, with better investment and at a time where there were less decent teams competing for those positions. I don't buy that Sunderland are going to become European contenders with this fella in charge, he's just too stubborn to get a team any further.

That may be enough for them, but I doubt it, because it'll get to a point where they expect a decent finish, and people will become frustrated with his inadequacies.

if they had one more point than us, one more in a crowd, one more goal,  they will make a statue to him, they will be wanking in the streets. Thats his brief.

if they had one more point than us, one more in a crowd, one more goal,  they will make a statue to him, they will be wanking in his brief.

if they had one more point than us, one more in a crowd, one more goal,  they will make a statue to him, they will be wanking in the streets. Thats his brief.

Not even sure oneill is interested in Europe anyway. He got Villa there and then quite disgracefully made no effort and just played fringe players ending in a quick exit. Kind of negates the point of achieving something in the league really.

If that's what he did at Villa he'd do the same at a smaller club with a smaller squad and less talented players.

Not that it'll ever likely to happen.

Guest Chubby Jason

Surely after his success with Villa he should have then made the step up from Villa rather than a step down to a smaller club?

He won't ever get the job at Man U/Chelsea/Arsenal/Spurs/City because of his faults that you ignore. You need a bit more than master motivation skills and big target men to manage Man United.

I can't account for his decision to join Sunderland, maybe it was because he's a lifelong fan which is fair enough. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's on the FA's contingency list to replace Fabio is Redknapp is found guilty.

I can't account for his decision to join Sunderland, maybe it was because he's a lifelong fan which is fair enough. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's on the FA's contingency list to replace Fabio is Redknapp is found guilty.

Would a northern irish catholic and former Celtic manager really manage England?  Or am I displaying my own ignorance here :lol:

Guest Chubby Jason

Would a northern irish catholic and former Celtic manager really manage England?  Or am I displaying my own ignorance here :lol:

I always thought not so. However he was interested and interviewed back when Sven left but we got Big Mac instead :lol:

It's more to do with the fact Villa is his ceiling, hence a year out before making a - at the very best - sideways step.

There's no way he would ever be considered for top jobs, simple as that. He couldn't build the dynasties that Fergie and Wenger have built and entrusting him with unlimited funds would be ludicrous not to mention his tactical and coaching flaws. He's good at what he does and is a perfect fit for Sunderland, just like he was at Leicester and Villa but he's too limited to make the next step up. He is the Darren Bent of football managers.

England job would probably suit him. Short term impact, motivate the squad and get things back to basics. Doubt the FA would ever consider a Northern Irish manager for the England job though.