Europa League 2012/13 - Benfica 1 - 2 Chelsea

MKSC
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Christ, just read IP's post above. Is my whole above post rendered absolute, complete bullshit? :lol:

:lol: Nah, I just meant that UEFA said you've got 4 spots to use as you wish and they'd not be giving additional ones going forward.

:lol: Cool :thup: It was the way you said begrudgingly let Liverpool in. I thought that Uefa begrudgingly let Everton and FA begrudingly let Liverpool in a sense. They both had different feelings on who should get priority iirc.

Yeah, the way I recall it is that the papers and the FA were pretty much campaigning for Liverpool to be allowed to defend their title, so it was implied that Everton would get the spot otherwise.  Was a bit of a daft situation and you can bet your bottom dollar that it would happen all over again in the same circumstances. :lol:

MKSC's attempts to bring order have gone well. :lol:

Hey, I was just putting the facts out there, as I saw them. Somebody else put it up here as some sort of definitive guide to European qualification. I did however completely overlook the possibility of Arsenal or Chelsea winning the CL and finishing outside the top 4, I guess I didn't see it as a possibility.

MKSC's attempts to bring order have gone well. :lol:

Hey, I was just putting the facts out there, as I saw them. Somebody else put it up here as some sort of definitive guide to European qualification. I did however completely overlook the possibility of Arsenal or Chelsea winning the CL and finishing outside the top 4, I guess I didn't see it as a possibility.

I know, I know. It was a useful post, just enjoyed everyone still not knowing what was going on. It's one of those things I'll still not register in my mind despite reading about it numerous times.

UEFA didn't have a rule regarding teams being able to defend their title even if they didn't qualify through the league when Liverpool won it. They changed it after so now if a team wins the CL but doesn't qualify they will get the right to defend their title but it would count towards the total number of CL spots their nations FA have at disposal.

No idea if it's already been mentioned in the discussion, didn't bother reading all the posts. :yao:

Quick question....do you want to see Newcastle qualify for Europe this season?

I don't think our squad is big enough for Europe at the moment and it could have a negative effect on our league performances (see Stoke and Fulham this season), plus there isn't enough money in the Europa cup to allow us to build our squad up. I guess it would make us slightly more attractive to prospective players when trying to make signings in the summer though.

I do miss the European mid-week matches, but I don't think we are ready for it for another season or two!

i'd fucking love europe. i dont think its possible that we will be in a position to qualify for it consistently every year, given all the shit in the IP that complicates qualification. so we should just take the chance when it comes.

also makes it far more likely our players to stay

So now we need 2 of Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal to contest the final. What a horrific thought :lol:

And Liverpool also need to win the Carling Cup, a truly disgusting set of circumstances. I'd almost rather we didn't qualify. Almost.