Arsenal 2 - 1 Newcastle United - 12/03/12 - post-match reaction from page 50

Nate

“It affects my mindset in terms of do I want to win the game, but we’ve got to be in the game,” he said. “At Tottenham (where Newcastle conceded three goals in the first 20 minutes), we didn’t have a way back. We were dead and buried at half-time.

“We have to be in the game with ten or 15 minutes to go and, if we are, I won’t settle for a draw, for sure.”

Presumably he thought we weren't in the game at 1-1.

Surprisingly I'm not really bothered with the loss. I thought we did ok, fought hard, weren't outclassed and were a bit unlucky at the end. Not taking the 3 points vs Wolves and Sunlun I find much more annoying that losing to Arsenal away from home in the last minute of extra time.

“It affects my mindset in terms of do I want to win the game, but we’ve got to be in the game,” he said. “At Tottenham (where Newcastle conceded three goals in the first 20 minutes), we didn’t have a way back. We were dead and buried at half-time.

“We have to be in the game with ten or 15 minutes to go and, if we are, I won’t settle for a draw, for sure.”

:dave:

Atrocious throw in to lose the ball, too many bodies high up, chose not to attack with a decent oppurtunity - basic failings, deserved to fuck it up, I don't understand how people paid 40,000 pounds a week to do solely this can be so unutterably stupid in such basic circumstances.

Don't be fucking daft, this wasn't Simpsons fault. He cleared the ball off the line twice in the second half and was pretty decent all around. It was obvious from the very first second in the 2nd that Pardew was trying to defend the point and had no interest in at least trying to play some decent football. We fucking hoofed it all 2nd half and deserved fuck all from this.

Fucking furious right now.

:dave:

I didnt really see any tactical decision to sit back on it. We were just wank in possession tbh. Not everything is Pardews fault, he set us up well today.

I'm fucking pissed off that we didn't hold on but there can't be any doubt that they deserved to win that on the basis of their domination.

They didn't create much but we really didn't give it a go at all in the second half. That's the most disappointing thing.

To be fair to Pardew he went 4-4-2 when we had our backs against the wall after 60 mins. Not sure what else he can do in that position. Like I've said before he can't force Cabaye to put his foot on the ball and pass it.

Guest BooBoo

Krul 7

Simpson 6

Santon 6

(Perch 7)

Colo 7

Williamson 7

Gutierrez 6

Cabaye 5

Tiote 7

(Guthrie 5)

Obertan 5

(Shola) 6

Ba 6

HBA 6

The team was set-up well and organised but that was all negated by offering absolutely nothing in an attacking sense in the second half and hoofing it. The one time we passed it out from the back(due to RVP trying to piss Krul off) we managed a good passing move and got the ball in their box.

Guest Spark

Bit strange how we don't bother attacking for most of the second half then decide to commit half our team forward in the 4th minute of injury time.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Simpson cleared one off the line 5 mins before, doesn't deserve this stick.

Off the line as the far post defender on a set play. He stood where he should have stood. It wasn't as if he broke his back and took one in the bollocks to clear it off the line. He basically didn't do a Dyer.