Arsenal 2 - 1 Newcastle United - 12/03/12 - post-match reaction from page 50

Nate

Well i'm still gutted this morning, spoilt my night and i headed straight to bed after the game but on reflection this morning i thought we done really well the 1st half ( who knows what might of happened if we kept the lead longer than 53 seconds ) and not too bad 2nd half ( whilst defending our arses off for long periods . )

Fair enough we never really threatened in the 2nd half but we dug in and defended against a  good arsenal side attacking us and being around our box for large periods of time and that in itself brings in hoof ball to clear the lines, get some shape and relieve the pressure. Woeful throw in f***ed it for us but i feel sorry for Simpson as i think he had a decent game up until then.

All in all i never expected to get anything last night ( before the game ) and we were very close to getting a point against a good / in form Arsenal side. 1st half we played some alright stuff and we need to focus on that and take it forward to the Norwich game.

Scored 1st and let a very late goal in from a stupid mistake but there were positives to take from the game imo.

Forever Optimistic :)

Well i'm still gutted this morning, spoilt my night and i headed straight to bed after the game but on reflection this morning i thought we done really well the 1st half ( who knows what might of happened if we kept the lead longer than 53 seconds ) and not too bad 2nd half ( whilst defending our arses off for long periods . )

Fair enough we never really threatened in the 2nd half but we dug in and defended against a  good arsenal side attacking us and being around our box for large periods of time and that in itself brings in hoof ball to clear the lines, get some shape and relieve the pressure. Woeful throw in f***ed it for us but i feel sorry for Simpson as i think he had a decent game up until then.

All in all i never expected to get anything last night ( before the game ) and we were very close to getting a point against a good / in form Arsenal side. 1st half we played some alright stuff and we need to focus on that and take it forward to the Norwich game.

Scored 1st and let a very late goal in from a stupid mistake but there were positives to take from the game imo.

Fair assessment IMO.

I'm gutted still about the winner but we followed a pretty sensible gameplan and it was seconds away from working. The aim would have been to still be in the game with 20 minutes to go or whatever, and avoid a Spurs-style collapse. We managed that, we just invited a bit too much pressure and conceded due to a brain-freeze from an individual player.

It's gutting, but it's too easy to go overboard with the criticism because of the nature of the defeat.

Fair assessment IMO.

I'm gutted still about the winner but we followed a pretty sensible gameplan and it was seconds away from working. The aim would have been to still be in the game with 20 minutes to go or whatever, and avoid a Spurs-style collapse. We managed that, we just invited a bit too much pressure and conceded due to a brain-freeze from an individual player.

It's gutting, but it's too easy to go overboard with the criticism because of the nature of the defeat.

Agreed :)

Fair assessment IMO.

more to do with the nature of the board than the nature of the defeat. while i agree at times, particularly since the turn of the year, we have gone long too often it's been by no stretch the over riding tactic, go back through the games and see for yourselves but for many on here we play it long all the time and play a high line every game.

Aye, I'm not saying I always agree with Pardew's approach, I just mean the plan against Arsenal would have been seen in a better light if we hadn't thrown the ball to them in the 94th minute.

For me Pardew is a pragmatist more than he is negative, he just doesn't mind doing what he thinks will get the result. In this case it didn't quite work, but it wasn't far off.

Did Howard the cunt add time on for Krul time wasting? When Krul was holding onto the ball it was in play, so therefore time cannot be added. This twat is meant to be a top referee, the mans a joke.

Guest Phil K

You cant question the commitment of graft last night. You could see on the players faces how hard they had worked. We are just lacking some quality at the back and playing too much long ball at the moment.

Simpsons throw in was suicidal though.

Let's slowly improve. Not get panicky. Slow improvement.

Thankful for early season form though.

Defence needs a little tightening, maybe. Stevie Taylor coming back would help.

Goalie's sorted for a few seasons, Santon's improvement will continue, the captains OK

Midfield will, I believe get a further strengthening, forwards will get better again next year once Cisse settles (Ba was well overdue a little barren patch)

The futures bright. The futures black and white.

Did Howard the cunt add time on for Krul time wasting? When Krul was holding onto the ball it was in play, so therefore time cannot be added. This twat is meant to be a top referee, the mans a joke.

No idea TBH, still don't know where 5 minutes of added time came from. There were a couple of substitutions but that's about it.

We certainly didn't set out to play long ball last night, but the pressure Arsenal put us under in the 2nd half saw us panic I think. First half I thought we were good (except for Santon and Jonas). We passed it around quite nicely, as we did in the first 10 mins of the 2nd half, but then we panicked when Arsenal put us under more pressure. Don't know whether to blame Pardew for the last 30 mins or not. The players need to take some criticism for resorting to hitting it long as well. Certainly don't think it was a "hoof ball" performance though, but I agree we need to hold our nerve and pass it around a bit more.

This is the thing though mate, when you spend your entire season training the players to play one way, just because you would like to play a different way for one or two games doesn't mean the team's gonna be able to do it. You could see last night that the players are so used to just lobbing it forwards and staying in formation that they looked frightened in possession and none of them were moving for each other. These are good footballers I'm talking about as well, Cabaye, Jonas, Tiote, they all look bloody hopeless on the ball.

Occasionally football will 'break out' of it's own accord when an opposition player gets dragged out of place or we play a quick one two, but watch us when we have comfortable possession in the middle of the pitch, we're f***ing clueless.

I don't see it that way at all man, sorry. I've seen us play good football on plenty of occasions this season, but I agree the last couple of months we seem to have gotten scared somehow, and Pardew / the players seem to have lost a bit of confidence in us playing passing football. But I've seen it enough from us this season to suggest we can do it, and do it well.

The long ball stuff we are resorting to at times at the minute is frustrating but not fully representative of what we / Pardew can and have done.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, no one will convince me that in the last 30 minutes yesterday Pardew actually instructed the players to hit it long. I think it was a mixture of the players feeling the pressure, and naturally dropping deeper to try to soak it up. Granted a few games over the last few months have seen us play that tactic, but I don't believe that's what we were trying to do at all yesterday... more that we just got sucked into it as the game wore on. 

Fair enough, we all see games differently, what I'm trying to say though is that it's almost irrelevant what Pardew instructed the players to do in the second half yesterday, when under pressure they'll resort to the usual game plan, hoof it. If no one will convince you that he instructed the players to do it, go back and watch games at home against Wolves, Swansea, WBA, Chelsea (where it worked for a bit) Mackems (except the second half when they had ten men) and away at Liverpool and Bolton especially. If he's asking the team to do it this much he can't just expect to decide to play football for one week and put out a team (including Obertan, ironically enough) to do so.

The players have been drilled to stay in formation and hit Ba and they're doing it, he needed to re-evaluate this months ago and he hasn't, we'll get more of the same against Norwich. We're neutralising the only GOOD parts of our team with these tactics because our weak links are clearly in defending, what's the point of setting up to be hard to beat when you've got knackers like Simpson pulling shit like he did last night? Set up to attack with the likes of Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Ba and Cisse and we'll get more points.

The game itself wasn't a disaster neither was the result sickening though the injury time goal was. Like I said in the Pardew thread, what worries me more is the way we are playing, with no skill or confidence. It makes me fearful for the final part of this season as I think the players look like they haven't a clue how they are supposed to approach games at the moment.

The game itself wasn't a disaster neither was the result sickening though the injury time goal was. Like I said in the Pardew thread, what worries me more is the way we are playing, with no skill or confidence. It makes me fearful for the final part of this season as I think the players look like they haven't a clue how they are supposed to approach games at the moment.

i completely agree

i completely agree

Guest neesy111

This.

We are sort of spluterring (not a word I know) over the line at the moment but in Pardew's defence I just don't think he wants to make drastic changes with us still in with a shout or Europa League (whether this is counterproductive is another argument).  I reckon he should've made the transition to better/passing football earlier in the season and I said the same when we were on our unbeaten streak (can't remember if I posted it on here though  :razz:).  If we were midtable with nothing to play for I reckon Pardew would try to improve the style (although I'm not 100% sure, he does seem pretty cautious...)

I'll be more critical of Pardew if we had three more continental players in the summer like Cabaye and we're still not playing better football.

:thup: nailed it.

James Mc Clean ‏ @JMcC_23 Close

vermaelen right at the death, now more than arsenal deserve, scuffle on the pitch involving...dont really need to say much else

Having followed up his cowardly challenge on Danny Simpson with another nasty one against Liverpool on Saturday, and getting off scot-free after "accidentally" head butting Rhys Jones against Boro recently, this latest flash in the pan mackem sooperstar, who looked every inch the part time player he recently was in the derby, might be advised to concentrate on working at his game instead of sharing his thoughts with his adoring public on Twitter and following his manager's newly found obsession of all things NUFC.