Arsenal 2 - 1 Newcastle United - 12/03/12 - post-match reaction from page 50

Nate

Guest ThievingMagpie

If we don't concede immediately at the restart I think we continue to try and play football but once Van Persie went with an instant response the team panicked and shut down. I think going out and playing that game was a smart move from Pardew, we would have been murdered in an open game and we nearly snatched a draw. I think the team is at it's limit right now and we probably won't be able to push higher on our own without help from other teams.

Never five minutes in a million years but that was very naive dropped bollock at the end there. As someone suggested, even after giving them the ball, someone should have taken a yellow to stop the break.

For all the latest media kneejerk lovefest for Arsenal, Liverpool did outplay them at Anfield, so it would have been nice to have not sat back so much in the second half.

Obertan again showed why he shouldn't be picked ahead of HBA as he was for many games.

We are weak in defence with Williamson, Simpson is "decent" at best but no more than that and Santon is still unproven at left back. That all leaves Coloccini and Krul far too exposed.

In midfield it all looks a bit disjointed to me. Cabaye has gone off the boil and we don't have nearly enough attacking options which leaves us looking a bit stagnated imo. For all I love about Jonas he doesn't offer nearly enough of a regular goal/creative threat imo.

Obertan is just s****, lol

I thought Arsenal's play probably deserved the win and they had enough chances to put the match away in the last 20 mins but to concede like that at the end was ridiculous. There wasn't anyone anywhere near the right side when the ball fell to Vermaelen to striker, pathetic. Got to learn from situations like this.

Somewhere there is a tactical book with one page that reads 'hoof it down the middle'. It's a book lost in the mists of time, back around the mid-80's. Legend says the one who finds the book and uses it wisely will hypnostise his followers.

Our unbeaten start to the season was characterized by a certain fearlessness we had. We were a team confidently playing for each other. Our run of late has been characterized by fear and panic, from the way we set out, our shape, movement and passing.

You can feel and hear that distinction in Pardew's interviews then and now.

Guest neesy111

We had 52% possession 2nd half and then ended up with 41% for the whole game.  Really shows how much we fell apart as a team 2nd half.

I dont agree with alot of the sentiment on here. Thought up until the last few seconds we did the job. Loads of commitment from the team, would have been a fantastic result to come away with a point and we failed that with seconds to go.

We are years from out passing Arsenal. THey are a quality side. We are still many many years from being able to out play them. Our job was to contain and come away with something, anything, and i believe that , where we are as a team, that was the right approach.

Guest BooBoo

It was similar to the second half onslaught at Old Traffird. That day we saw it out and were heroes, last night we just fell short and some and calling us cowardly. Fine margins.

You cant question the commitment of graft last night. You could see on the players faces how hard they had worked. We are just lacking some quality at the back and playing too much long ball at the moment.

Simpsons throw in was suicidal though.

Guest icemanblue

Agree with the two posts above. It was a very similar performance to Man Utd away. If we'd have kept the ball in the corner, like we should have, then it was over. Fuck knows what that throw was about. Disappointing, but it says a lot that we're coming away from there feeling that way. I was expecting a hiding.

We certainly didn't set out to play long ball last night, but the pressure Arsenal put us under in the 2nd half saw us panic I think. First half I thought we were good (except for Santon and Jonas). We passed it around quite nicely, as we did in the first 10 mins of the 2nd half, but then we panicked when Arsenal put us under more pressure. Don't know whether to blame Pardew for the last 30 mins or not. The players need to take some criticism for resorting to hitting it long as well. Certainly don't think it was a "hoof ball" performance though, but I agree we need to hold our nerve and pass it around a bit more.

This is the thing though mate, when you spend your entire season training the players to play one way, just because you would like to play a different way for one or two games doesn't mean the team's gonna be able to do it. You could see last night that the players are so used to just lobbing it forwards and staying in formation that they looked frightened in possession and none of them were moving for each other. These are good footballers I'm talking about as well, Cabaye, Jonas, Tiote, they all look bloody hopeless on the ball.

Occasionally football will 'break out' of it's own accord when an opposition player gets dragged out of place or we play a quick one two, but watch us when we have comfortable possession in the middle of the pitch, we're fucking clueless.

I'm still absolutely livid this morning like, spitting feathers. Should have made Danny Simpson fucking walk home.

Glad someone else feels like this. I'm still absolutely fuming. Spoiled my entire fucking night last night. Fuck off Arsenal/Simpson/Williamson/Webb.

Seriously though, it was suicide not buying a defender in January. I just hope to fuck Carr's been put on the case for the summer. We need at least one full back and one centreback.

We certainly didn't set out to play long ball last night, but the pressure Arsenal put us under in the 2nd half saw us panic I think. First half I thought we were good (except for Santon and Jonas). We passed it around quite nicely, as we did in the first 10 mins of the 2nd half, but then we panicked when Arsenal put us under more pressure. Don't know whether to blame Pardew for the last 30 mins or not. The players need to take some criticism for resorting to hitting it long as well. Certainly don't think it was a "hoof ball" performance though, but I agree we need to hold our nerve and pass it around a bit more.

This is the thing though mate, when you spend your entire season training the players to play one way, just because you would like to play a different way for one or two games doesn't mean the team's gonna be able to do it. You could see last night that the players are so used to just lobbing it forwards and staying in formation that they looked frightened in possession and none of them were moving for each other. These are good footballers I'm talking about as well, Cabaye, Jonas, Tiote, they all look bloody hopeless on the ball.

Occasionally football will 'break out' of it's own accord when an opposition player gets dragged out of place or we play a quick one two, but watch us when we have comfortable possession in the middle of the pitch, we're f***ing clueless.

I don't see it that way at all man, sorry. I've seen us play good football on plenty of occasions this season, but I agree the last couple of months we seem to have gotten scared somehow, and Pardew / the players seem to have lost a bit of confidence in us playing passing football. But I've seen it enough from us this season to suggest we can do it, and do it well.

The long ball stuff we are resorting to at times at the minute is frustrating but not fully representative of what we / Pardew can and have done.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, no one will convince me that in the last 30 minutes yesterday Pardew actually instructed the players to hit it long. I think it was a mixture of the players feeling the pressure, and naturally dropping deeper to try to soak it up. Granted a few games over the last few months have seen us play that tactic, but I don't believe that's what we were trying to do at all yesterday... more that we just got sucked into it as the game wore on. 

The last 30? What about the previous 40 before that?

Occasionally football will 'break out' of it's own accord when an opposition player gets dragged out of place or we play a quick one two, but watch us when we have comfortable possession in the middle of the pitch, we're f***ing clueless.

I don't see it that way at all man, sorry. I've seen us play good football on plenty of occasions this season, but I agree the last couple of months we seem to have gotten scared somehow, and Pardew / the players seem to have lost a bit of confidence in us playing passing football. But I've seen it enough from us this season to suggest we can do it, and do it well.

The long ball stuff we are resorting to at times at the minute is frustrating but not fully representative of what we / Pardew can and have done.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, no one will convince me that in the last 30 minutes yesterday Pardew actually instructed the players to hit it long. I think it was a mixture of the players feeling the pressure, and naturally dropping deeper to try to soak it up. Granted a few games over the last few months have seen us play that tactic, but I don't believe that's what we were trying to do at all yesterday... more that we just got sucked into it as the game wore on. 

What about it? I certainly wouldn't call it hoof ball. We played some nice stuff in the first half at times.

I'd say the first 20/25 minutes we had it down and played, as soon as they scored it all changed.

Krul did hit it long every time he got the ball and our players rarely ever made themselves available for a short release, so I'd say it was a "tactical" decision. Shola coming on seems to back it up too.

I was too ill  to be angry last night, but that was a gutter. Not too bothered by the Van Persie thing, it was a little cunty but as someone said, if it were the other way around Krul would be a legend. Why so many players attacking with one minute left, we would have been better off Ben Arfa throwing the ball for Shola to fuck around with possibly even foul an Arsenal player right in the corner. At least it allows us to get into a bit of shape. I hope Pardew reads the riot act over that one.

Guest neesy111

What about it? I certainly wouldn't call it hoof ball. We played some nice stuff in the first half at times.

I'd say the first 20/25 minutes we had it down and played, as soon as they scored it all changed.

Fair enough, I disagree. I thought barring a few moments down our left hand side, we were comfortable in possession for the vast majority of the first half (they obviously had more possession than us, but when we got it I thought we were pretty good with it), and early part of the second half. Granted we didn't do much attacking, but I thought we limited Arsenal to half chances.

We did nothing 2nd half at all attacking wise, I've had a non-football fan at work (who watched the 2nd half) say that we were dreadful 2nd half.