Europa League or not?

SUPERTOON
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest VaVaVoom

£10.5mil for winning it is a decent amount. What would we get for qualifying for the CL and not progressing from the group stages?

Guest michaelfoster

£3.2m for qualifying for group stages

£2.7m for 6 group matches (£450,000 per match)

660,000 for a win in group stages

330,000 for a draw in the group stages

plus TV money

Guest michaelfoster

so if we drew every CL match we would get just unde £2m plus £3.2m for qualifying and £2.7m for 6 matches so just under £8m in total

Guest VaVaVoom

so if we drew every CL match we would get just unde £2m plus £3.2m for qualifying and £2.7m for 6 matches so just under £8m in total

Nice. Plus 10mil TV money.

£1.5m for winning all 6 group game

£165,000 for getting to last 32

£247,000 for getting to the last 16

£330,000 for getting to the QF

£577,000 for getting to the SF

£1.6m for the losing finalist

£2.4m for winners

Plus a max of £5.2m from TV revenue depending on how far you get in the competition

So basically £10.5m for winning,  the main exposure will be for new players, i voted yes fwiw.

Add in what we'd get for ticket sales too.  If we were to average 40,000 attendances for the 3rd qualifying game + 3 group stages that would be an extra £1m per game on top of the above.  The money from attendances alone would cover the wages of 2 or 3 players for the whole season.

Guest VaVaVoom

£1.5m for winning all 6 group game

£165,000 for getting to last 32

£247,000 for getting to the last 16

£330,000 for getting to the QF

£577,000 for getting to the SF

£1.6m for the losing finalist

£2.4m for winners

Plus a max of £5.2m from TV revenue depending on how far you get in the competition

So basically £10.5m for winning,  the main exposure will be for new players, i voted yes fwiw.

Add in what we'd get for ticket sales too.  If we were to average 40,000 attendances for the 3rd qualifying game + 3 group stages that would be an extra £1m per game on top of the above.  The money from attendances alone would cover the wages of 2 or 3 players for the whole season.

Some difference to the EL! All the more reason to really have a fuckin go at it this season whilst we have a chance!

This is all best case scenario, but you have to think about the bigger picture (as many have already alluded to).

A potential to earn up to £10m in prize money depending on far we'd go in the competition. On top of that you have TV revenue as I'm pretty sure most, if not all, of our games would be picked up by ITV, ESPN and Channel 5 (like when we were last in the UEFA Cup).

There's also gate revenue to think about, and how a few extra home games at SJP (which would increase as we went on in the competition, especially if prices were decent) could add to the kitty. On a smaller scale there, there's also programme sales/food and drink etc.

Merchandise income would increase (and probably give Ashley an excuse to produce some more tat to sell to the market), as would appeal and interest in NUFC around the world as we introduce ourselves back to the 'world stage' to more countries and more people (which again increases merchandise and gate receipts/tv money etc.)

It also opens up more money to pay for wages of current players and potential transfers. It also increases interest in the club and gives it more appeal to potential signings who we are looking to sign. As well as giving us an opportunity to play and win more games, which will help build squad morale (as will travelling around Europe together) and help us to build momentum to take into the league and cups.

Best case scenario as I say, but it's possible. We'd be stupid to turn our noses up at Europe.

Guest VaVaVoom

This is all best case scenario, but you have to think about the bigger picture (as many have already alluded to).

A potential to earn up to £10m in prize money depending on far we'd go in the competition. On top of that you have TV revenue as I'm pretty sure most, if not all, of our games would be picked up by ITV, ESPN and Channel 5 (like when we were last in the UEFA Cup).

There's also gate revenue to think about, and how a few extra home games at SJP (which would increase as we went on in the competition, especially if prices were decent) could add to the kitty. On a smaller scale there, there's also programme sales/food and drink etc.

Merchandise income would increase (and probably give Ashley an excuse to produce some more tat to sell to the market), as would appeal and interest in NUFC around the world as we introduce ourselves back to the 'world stage' to more countries and more people (which again increases merchandise and gate receipts/tv money etc.)

It also opens up more money to pay for wages of current players and potential transfers. It also increases interest in the club and gives it more appeal to potential signings who we are looking to sign. As well as giving us an opportunity to play and win more games, which will help build squad morale (as will travelling around Europe together) and help us to build momentum to take into the league and cups.

Best case scenario as I say, but it's possible. We'd be stupid to turn our noses up at Europe.

Great post. :)

Far too many games for a Club with our squad size. It would almost certainly have a negative effect on where we finish in the Premiership so you can deduct £800k for every position we will undoubtedly drop.

Probably a season too soon in my opinion. Although I'd likely enjoy a few away trips!

Guest VaVaVoom

Far too many games for a Club with our squad size. It would almost certainly have a negative effect on where we finish in the Premiership so you can deduct £800k for every position we will undoubtedly drop.

Probably a season too soon in my opinion. Although I'd likely enjoy a few away trips!

Negative.

True but negative.

How about we qualify, keep our best players, shift out some dead wood and bring in 4 or 5 new players?

I think we could handle it and have a strong season on all fronts.

The biggest possible drawback IMO is that in order to make the required investment in the squad, the club would probably claim we need a further injection of funds. That means we might accept less for Tiote than we would have done, which obviously makes it more likely that he'll leave.

It is a season too soon but I think we have to take this appourtunity. Maybe Pards can flash his award winning s

smile at Mike and get him to purchase a few extra players compared to our original plans?

The biggest possible drawback IMO is that in order to make the required investment in the squad, the club would probably claim we need a further injection of funds. That means we might accept less for Tiote than we would have done, which obviously makes it more likely that he'll leave.

We need more money so we'd sell players for less?

Guest VaVaVoom

There should be sufficient money though Dave, surely?

Say we get 14mil for finishing 6th add the TV Money for League and Europe at the start of next season and we should have more than enough to stregnthen without damaging our impressive financial situation.

We need more money so we'd sell players for less?

Yeah, it's a fairly common concept. One we prey on most of the time in fact.

There should be sufficient money though Dave, surely?

Say we get 14mil for finishing 6th add the TV Money for League and Europe at the start of next season and we should have more than enough to stregnthen without damaging our impressive financial situation.

I just don't think that the club would be prepared to gamble on potential Europa League income. They want the money in first.

But.. But.. But.. We may finish one or two places low in the league, meaning possibly no European football the year after..  :idiot2:

I don't get the "it's a season too soon" bollocks. We might not have this opportunity this time next year. I'd fucking love to see us in Europe (via 5th place, especially) just for the sheer sense of accomplishment. It would be the perfect reward for an unbelievable season. Worry about the potential downfalls later.

I don't get the "it's a season too soon" bollocks. We might not have this opportunity this time next year. I'd fucking love to see us in Europe (via 5th place, especially) just for the sheer sense of accomplishment. It would be the perfect reward for an unbelievable season. Worry about the potential downfalls later.

It would be sheet magic to qualify, I totally agree. Sheet class.

It would be sheet magic to qualify, I totally agree. Sheet class.

I agree. Poor spelling by you in that post there though. :dontknow: