Europa League or not?

SUPERTOON
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

To get back to the thread i'd be f***ing furious if we did a Spurs/Mong and suddenly decide we're above all the Waffa Cup s*** based on sweet FA. f***s me off no end when teams get in and then sack it off.

I'd quite happily sacrifice a couple of league positions for a run in the Waffa or any of the cups tbh. League is good and all that but the though of us being in another final/winning owt is too much to comprehend.

i agree, sending out a load of kids wouldn't help them, it would have to be a good blend of the likes of vuckic and regualr first teamers. i probably wouldn't want to send a full strength team out in all games mind unless we made the later stages.

Can't believe even as many as five people have voted no.

I voted no by mistake, I was doing two things at the time and didn't read the question right, I thought it was "do you think we'll qualify".

To get back to the thread i'd be f***ing furious if we did a Spurs/Mong and suddenly decide we're above all the Waffa Cup s*** based on sweet FA. f***s me off no end when teams get in and then sack it off.

I'd quite happily sacrifice a couple of league positions for a run in the Waffa or any of the cups tbh. League is good and all that but the though of us being in another final/winning owt is too much to comprehend.

i agree, sending out a load of kids wouldn't help them, it would have to be a good blend of the likes of vuckic and regualr first teamers. i probably wouldn't want to send a full strength team out in all games mind unless we made the later stages.

Definitely, IMO next season we'll do amazing to stand still so why not focus on the cups, mass sales aside we've proven we're good enough to take anyone on and (if we get in) if you win your first couple of group games you can rotate and give much needed minutes to squad members.

I agree with OC though if we don't qualify I'll just take it as hard luck, nowt to moan about.

Aye, take a look at Hughton's lads. I don't know what teams he fielded but they were often competitive against much better teams than them. They've managed to also maintain a strong league challenge. If you're in it, you should do everything you can to get something out of it or at least help the development of players and go at teams. Would love to see us in Europe again, absolutely love it

the fa cup final is a great spectacle, however i don't think winning it would attract players in the same way as good league placing would,(especially champs league placing). deep down we all know poor teams can win the fa cup, look what we had to beat on our last two runs to the cup final.

Yet it's very rare they do.

http://i.imgur.com/7d2j9.jpg

liverpools on there a bit,  pompey, everton, thats spurs team wasn't great. look at many of the poor teams they beat aswell, us twice when we were poor, millwall, cardiff just off the top of my head.

10th, 6th, 10th, 1st, 15th, 1st, 6th, 1st, 1st, 5th, 3rd, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 2nd, 3rd, 2nd, 8th, 3rd, 1st, 3rd.

FA Cup winners are generally no mugs, a solid league position in addition to evidence the club "can win things" is a sure-fire way to get top players through the door IMO.

Definitely, IMO next season we'll do amazing to stand still so why not focus on the cups, mass sales aside we've proven we're good enough to take anyone on and (if we get in) if you win your first couple of group games you can rotate and give much needed minutes to squad members.

I agree with OC though if we don't qualify I'll just take it as hard luck, nowt to moan about.

if we miss out i'll not be miffed at all, all is lining up nicely for next season. even if there were no europa cup spot at stake i'd still like to see us go full out till the end of the season as every game right now seems to see us getting more used to the system and stronger. also the higher up the league we finish the more appealing we should look to prospective incomings.

the fa cup final is a great spectacle, however i don't think winning it would attract players in the same way as good league placing would,(especially champs league placing). deep down we all know poor teams can win the fa cup, look what we had to beat on our last two runs to the cup final.

liverpools on there a bit,  pompey, everton, thats spurs team wasn't great. look at many of the poor teams they beat aswell, us twice when we were poor, millwall, cardiff just off the top of my head.

10th, 6th, 10th, 1st, 15th, 1st, 6th, 1st, 1st, 5th, 3rd, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 2nd, 3rd, 2nd, 8th, 3rd, 1st, 3rd.

FA Cup winners are generally no mugs, a solid league position in addition to evidence the club "can win things" is a sure-fire way to get top players through the door IMO.

look at the teams they often put out aswell, shows you in how high regard they have it.

look at the teams they often put out aswell, shows you in how high regard they have it.

Well they'll put shadow sides out in the early rounds but take it more seriously late on.  It's obvious it's a distant 3rd priority to the top clubs, yet one of them normally wins it.  If we won it next season and finished 5th-8th after this season's efforts it would send a clear message we're a club that's going places.  Probably not as big a message as finishing 4th like but you know.  Beating a few big sides along the way and one in the final would increase that.

Well they'll put shadow sides out in the early rounds but take it more seriously late on.  It's obvious it's a distant 3rd priority to the top clubs, yet one of them normally wins it.  If we won it next season and finished 5th-8th after this season's efforts it would send a clear message we're a club that's going places.  Probably not as big a message as finishing 4th like but you know.  Beating a few big sides along the way and one in the final would increase that.

what message would it send if we won it and finished 14th ?

A shit one.  Why would that need to happen though, what you getting at?  See my post earlier, a team hasn't won it and finished lower than 8th in 17 years.

A s*** one.  Why would that need to happen though, what you getting at?  See my post earlier, a team hasn't won it and finished lower than 8th in 17 years.

bobby robson said something in his last year or so here about how huge and hard a step it is from 5th to 4th and then again to 3rd. the step from 9th to 8th isn't half as big or difficuilt.

A s*** one.  Why would that need to happen though, what you getting at?  See my post earlier, a team hasn't won it and finished lower than 8th in 17 years.

bobby robson said something in his last year or so here about how huge and hard a step it is from 5th to 4th and then again to 3rd. the step from 9th to 8th isn't half as big or difficuilt.

What's that got to do with winning the FA Cup?  I don't see why we couldn't aim to achieve a solid position in the league in conjunction with a good cup run perhaps leading to a cup win, and in turn why that wouldn't improve the perception of us amongst potential signings, which was the original point you disagreed with.  Debate's become a bit muddied now.

To get back to the thread i'd be fucking furious if we did a Spurs/Mong and suddenly decide we're above all the Waffa Cup shit based on sweet FA. Fucks me off no end when teams get in and then sack it off.

Especially considering how winnable the competition could be.

Don't forget the CL teams that drop down into the EL. There's often a couple of big-hitters in there.

It would probably say that you're a side that can beat any other on its day, but lack the strength in depth to fight on multiple fronts. In other words, a side with a solid core and real potential. Like Hansdownerpantz pointed out, shit teams don't win the FA Cup.

Also, EL qualification.

Don't forget the CL teams that drop down into the EL. There's often a couple of big-hitters in there.

It would probably say that you're a side that can beat any other on its day, but lack the strength in depth to fight on multiple fronts. In other words, a side with a solid core and real potential. Like Hansdownerpantz pointed out, s*** teams don't win the FA Cup.

Also, EL qualification.

beat any other on it's day ? spurs have beat bolton watford,cheltenham and stevenage so far. chelsea have beat qpr, birmingham,leicester and pompey.

I've said before I don't rate it as a competition. The preliminary rounds are usually shite, but it'll be SWEET to get there this time around. Plus trips abroad again for the supporters.

I've said before I don't rate it as a competition. The preliminary rounds are usually s****, but it'll be SWEET to get there this time around. Plus trips abroad again for the supporters.

could really benefit the squad as a whole aswell. i'm viewing it as being like the inter toto.

i miss the intertoto, much rather play in that than pre season friendlies, seemed to work for the players.

Remember the Intertoto game on Setanta? Where you paid like 7/8 quid and you got "THE GAME WILL START SHORTLY" and "THE SECOND HALF WILL BEGIN SHORTLY" as pre game and half time analysis :lol:

Remember the Intertoto game on Setanta? Where you paid like 7/8 quid and you got "THE GAME WILL START SHORTLY" and "THE SECOND HALF WILL BEGIN SHORTLY" as pre game and half time analysis :lol:

bliss.

I've said before I don't rate it as a competition. The preliminary rounds are usually s****, but it'll be SWEET to get there this time around. Plus trips abroad again for the supporters.

could really benefit the squad as a whole aswell. i'm viewing it as being like the inter toto.

i miss the intertoto, much rather play in that than pre season friendlies, seemed to work for the players.

Totally agree. Was a nice compromise.

Guest Geordiesned

A definite yes for me. I've been on some cracking European trips and want more.

It's worth noting that if we finish 6th (and Everton lose the FA Cup Semi Final) we'd face a qualifier to get into the Europa League. As we've been out of Europe for over 5 years our coefficient would just be that of England meaning we'd probably be unseeded and could therefore be drawn against a big side from Spain/Italy/Germany.

It would probably say that you're a side that can beat any other on its day, but lack the strength in depth to fight on multiple fronts. In other words, a side with a solid core and real potential. Like Hansdownerpantz pointed out, s*** teams don't win the FA Cup.

Also, EL qualification.

beat any other on it's day ? spurs have beat bolton watford,cheltenham and stevenage so far. chelsea have beat qpr, birmingham,leicester and pompey.

We're only at the semis. The eventual winner still has to beat two Premiership sides, including one of the top four.

As I was talking about winning the Cup, not reaching the semis, my point stands.

A definite yes for me. I've been on some cracking European trips and want more.

It's worth noting that if we finish 6th (and Everton lose the FA Cup Semi Final) we'd face a qualifier to get into the Europa League. As we've been out of Europe for over 5 years our coefficient would just be that of England meaning we'd probably be unseeded and could therefore be drawn against a big side from Spain/Italy/Germany.

wrong, they'd be drawn against a big side from the north east...Grrrrrr!