Europa League or not?

SUPERTOON
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

You have to keep the seeding in the EL and CL (though it could be tweaked a bit). If all the "big" clubs get drawn against each other at the start, nobody will want to watch the later rounds.

Yeah, it should just be straight knock out like it was years ago.

and get rid of the seeding. if the top rated spanish team gets drawn against the top rated german team then so be it.

But the whole thing is structured so that some weaker teams in Eastern and Northern Europe get a few good paydays against bigger clubs, and therefore it won't change. It ends up with too many games involving too much travelling, and our clubs end up playing weakened teams to conserve their strength for the league. If we qualify, we won't be an exception to that. You can forget about going all out to win the thing.

The CL is the competition that really opens doors for a club and that has to be our priority. My thinking is that if we can get this close with the team that we've got, if we can strengthen our weaker areas then we should be in with a solid chance next season.

you see it as opening doors, i see it as pulling up the ladder.

I think it's a shame that the CL has achieved such importance. The huge financial bonus of qualifying tends to create a self-perpetuating elite.

If someone can impose a fairer distribution of revenue between the CL teams and the rest of the Premiership, and between the Premiership and the other divisions, then great. Until such time, clubs are going to continue to prioritise promotion to / remaining in the Premiership and getting into / remaining in the top four - all at the expense of other competitions. That's the reality, and if we qualify for the Europa League, we'll be playing the same game.

The money in the EL is a pittance compared to the CL. CL qualification bags you more TV money than winning the EL.

The EPL (and especially La Liga) really need to spread the cash around more evenly.

Of course, that won't do anything against the likes of Mansour or Abramovich.

You have to keep the seeding in the EL and CL (though it could be tweaked a bit). If all the "big" clubs get drawn against each other at the start, nobody will want to watch the later rounds.

and get rid of the seeding. if the top rated spanish team gets drawn against the top rated german team then so be it.

But the whole thing is structured so that some weaker teams in Eastern and Northern Europe get a few good paydays against bigger clubs, and therefore it won't change. It ends up with too many games involving too much travelling, and our clubs end up playing weakened teams to conserve their strength for the league. If we qualify, we won't be an exception to that. You can forget about going all out to win the thing.

The CL is the competition that really opens doors for a club and that has to be our priority. My thinking is that if we can get this close with the team that we've got, if we can strengthen our weaker areas then we should be in with a solid chance next season.

I think it's a shame that the CL has achieved such importance. The huge financial bonus of qualifying tends to create a self-perpetuating elite.

If someone can impose a fairer distribution of revenue between the CL teams and the rest of the Premiership, and between the Premiership and the other divisions, then great. Until such time, clubs are going to continue to prioritise promotion to / remaining in the Premiership and getting into / remaining in the top four - all at the expense of other competitions. That's the reality, and if we qualify for the Europa League, we'll be playing the same game.

The money in the EL is a pittance compared to the CL. CL qualification bags you more TV money than winning the EL.

The EPL (and especially La Liga) really need to spread the cash around more evenly.

Mad ain't it. UEFA need to rejig it IMO and make the EL more appealing to be in and decrease the CL too as it's giving a select few clubs a huge advantage over others.

Anyone that doesn't want to see us play in Europe is just bonkers.

I've been wondering a couple things recently about the CL and haven't asked for fear of a jinx or something, but fuck it. Might as well enjoy thinking about it while it's possible. Does anyone know how much money you get if you play in the CL qualifier and lose? I know the group stage is the lucrative part. Also, does it fall during Ramadan?

Guest johnson293

Just to clarify the situation - will 5th place definitely get us E.L. footy, regardless of other results/competitions?

But, if Liverpool get to the FA Cup final, it will then open 6th place in the league up as a E.L. place?

Or, would Everton getting to the FA Cup final take the 5th place spot?

Guest johnson293

5th gets Europa League no matter what.

Ah great, cheers.

So if Everton lose the semi-final, we are (almost) certain of E.L. footy then?

However, it'll be great if we can finish 5th (or better) now, like.

Guest leipola

Actually no. If Chelsea finishes 6th and wins UCL while Everton wins FA Cup (or loses to Spurs who are going to UCL by finishing in top 3), 5th is not going to Europe. Then 1st, 2nd and Chelsea go straight to UCL, 3rd to UCL qualifying round. 4th, Liverpool and Everton get Europa League.

Guest johnson293

Actually no. If Chelsea finishes 6th and wins UCL while Everton wins FA Cup (or loses to Spurs who are going to UCL by finishing in top 3), 5th is not going to Europe. Then 1st, 2nd and Chelsea go straight to UCL, 3rd to UCL qualifying round. 4th, Liverpool and Everton get Europa League.

So the bottom line is... we (pretty much) just need/want LFC to win the Semi.....  :puke:

No, If Chelsea don't finish in a UCL place and win the UCL then England will receive an extra Europa League place.

Guest washeymag

Does anybody know what the difference between the money you receive finishing higher up the league this year?

Mad ain't it. UEFA need to rejig it IMO and make the EL more appealing to be in and decrease the CL too as it's giving a select few clubs a huge advantage over others.

I'd like to see qualification for the EL and CL rejigged entirely. CL qualification is full of league champions from tiny leagues (San Marino, Malta, Andorra, Luxembourg, Faroe Islands etc.) who are never ever going to make it to the group stage proper.

I think it'd be better all round if those teams went into the EL instead, where they would have a fighting chance of reaching the competition proper, and the CL qualifying places similarly given to sides that have a chance of reaching the group stage. Excluding our own start in Q1 in 2005, I think only one side ever has made it from Q1 to the group stage.

I think they should do away with EL for top leagues like the EPL, La Liga, etc., putting the current EL qualifiers into the CL qualifying rounds.