Europa League or not?

SUPERTOON
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I like it, but I think it's a real shame how it affects the preparation time between games. I love football, but the problem with so many matches is the lack of time to train and make progress that way.

Pardaganda.

Going to Bordeaux is the only thing I'm looking forward to in football terms atm. I know the game will be rubbish but for this reason and the fact there's more games in general, I'm for it.

I like it, but I think it's a real shame how it affects the preparation time between games. I love football, but the problem with so many matches is the lack of time to train and make progress that way.

Yeah, playing in europe might affect our chances of qualifying for europe.

I suppose the positive side of that would be the usual 4 teams would not be constantly creaming in the massive CL money every season.  Throw 7 teams in that mix and it might see a few other clubs having a little more money to spend and breaking up the top 4 every now and again.

Seems like a good plan when you put it like that.

Would anyone say we could have done better than 5th in 2003-04 season if we hadn't gone all the way to the Semi's in the UEFA Cup?

Never know, we did fade at the end though (1 win in 7 plus getting knocked out of Europe) but that could've been the players bottling it just as much.

Saying that we also had an appalling start which was nowt to do with being in the UEFA Cup.

Mainly we just drew far too many games.

Guest neesy111

Would anyone say we could have done better than 5th in 2003-04 season if we hadn't gone all the way to the Semi's in the UEFA Cup?

Never know, we did fade at the end though (1 win in 7 plus getting knocked out of Europe) but that could've been the players bottling it just as much.

Viana v Marseille. :anguish:

Far too many games for a Club with our squad size. It would almost certainly have a negative effect on where we finish in the Premiership so you can deduct £800k for every position we will undoubtedly drop.

Probably a season too soon in my opinion. Although I'd likely enjoy a few away trips!

I'll stick!

Selfishly, thinking about Newcastle United and our chances of making the CL, I'd say yes.

In terms of the competition itself, no. It would die a death with some of the shit that would be competing.

This came up a while back aswell and my opinion hasn't changed.  I think it's good to have a 2nd tier european competition that the smaller teams can have a realistic chance of winning and doing well in.  I do wish they'd stop the CL teams dropping into the europa though.

Guest neesy111

Can't see TV companies liking a reduced Champions League though, I do agree with reducing it.  Hate the group stages until match day 5/6.

Really they should reduce the size of the Champions League so it is genuinely elite. Then keep the enlarged Europa League completely separate. Then they'd both be very good competions.

Sounds like a good plan too. Probably all depends on BSKYB and the like though, less number of games, less money for the teams? None of them would go for that.

Can't see TV companies liking a reduced Champions League though, I do agree with reducing it.  Hate the group stages until match day 5/6.

I know, it won't happen but I think it's the best way to maintain a competitive and interesting European competition. If the standard of the CL was so, so high it would be difficult not to respect the Europa League as well.

Guest Roger Kint

Who in their right mind would ever want to see 5 Scottish teams in the Champions League  :idiot2:

As if that would ever happen :lol:

Theres about 50 European leagues to pick from, UEFA will want as many as possible to qualify rather than 5+ from most the bigger leagues(and Scotland)

Selfishly it would help us compete with signings, and the old argument of a player leaving for CL football would be moot if we were to get our act together and challenge for top 7 each year. But yeah, agree with those who are saying it would really kill the competition.

Really they should reduce the size of the Champions League so it is genuinely elite. Then keep the enlarged Europa League completely separate. Then they'd both be very good competions.

:thup: to this idea.

Yeah, playing in europe might affect our chances of qualifying for europe.

The last quote sums it up for me. Why concentrate on the league when in doing so, the best we could hope for is to qualify for the Europa again? It's the format of the Europa that is the problem. 1st stage being a group stage instead of just a 2 legged affair.

Guest neesy111

I'm not sure I'd actually dislike a European league that much. Sure, it would destroy football for the ordinary fan, but it would be fucking cool to watch it on Sky.

And rest of the world, which is why big clubs want it.