Chelsea vs Newcastle United - 02/05/12 @ 7.45pm - pre-match thread

Dave

As long as we go there looking to win, high tempo from the start get in their faces, pressure on the ball. Lets not finish the season feeling sorry for ourselves over the Wigan defeat.

I think we'll not do a bad job tonight.  I think the hype that was going on before the Wigan game had the players thinking they could just turn up and collect the points.  Tonight they know they are up against a good team and will be focused for it, we'll be fine as long as we don't let an early goal in.

As much as I love Pardew he has a tendense to screw things up now and then. and I have a feeling that may be the case today, especielly after the Wigan game.

Hope not though :undecided:

But to be fair to him. Chelsea away where we must not lose. Maybe it the right move to be careful.

I think we'll not do a bad job tonight.  I think the hype that was going on before the Wigan game had the players thinking they could just turn up and collect the points.  Tonight they know they are up against a good team and will be focused for it, we'll be fine as long as we don't let an early goal in.

I agree with all of these. Wigan was a one off.

Nervous as fuck about this.

Im not expecting anything other than a comfortable home win so I'm quite chilled. Anythings a bonus tonight, very hard game.

That's why I'm nervous. :lol:

Hope we don't get embarrassed.

Btw it would be nice if the game isn't effectively over within 10 mins of kickoff.

I wouldn't mind it being effectively over for Chelsea within 10 minutes of the kickoff.

Btw it would be nice if the game isn't effectively over within 10 mins of kickoff.

I wouldn't mind it being effectively over for Chelsea within 10 minutes of the kickoff.

:lol:

We need to score early, confidence will rise and I think we could go on to a convincing win.

This.

Nowt worse than that empty feeling we experienced so early at Spurs then again at Wigan on Saturday.

What is funny though, is how the once in a lifetime result against Arsenal seems to have given a generation of fans an unfeasibly optimistic outlook during such games. In both of those heavy defeats I heard someone say around the 70 minute mark "well this is about the time we started the fight back against Arsenal".

Probably tongue in cheek I know.

The pessimism about tonight, to a lesser degree, reflects the mood before the Man U game in January. I reckon at worst we'll go down fighting and given a bit of luck might even pinch something.

We need to score early, confidence will rise and I think we could go on to a convincing win.

Then you get even more nervous about the prospect about losing something :lol:

With the FA cup final on saturday, they might end up resting a few first teamers.

I disagree, i think they're all playing for their place in the FA Cup Final and as they're winning games no one wants to miss out.

If it was a week or two to go I'd agree but not 3 days. Matteo will already know his two teams i'd imagine.

Daliglish evidently doesn't if last nights anything to go by.

This.

Nowt worse than that empty feeling we experienced so early at Spurs then again at Wigan on Saturday.

What is funny though, is how the once in a lifetime result against Arsenal seems to have given a generation of fans an unfeasibly optimistic outlook during such games. In both of those heavy defeats I heard someone say around the 70 minute mark "well this is about the time we started the fight back against Arsenal".

Probably tongue in cheek I know.

The pessimism about tonight, to a lesser degree, reflects the mood before the Man U game in January. I reckon at worst we'll go down fighting and given a bit of luck might even pinch something.

The Arsenal game certainly taught me one lesson, I switched the fucking game off at 4-0!

Guest Roger Kint

Mackematics has made to national radio. 'Only a NUFC win and a Spurs defeat will see the Geordies retake 4th spot tonight'

Here man, we're in the top 6.

Can't finish any lower, and gauranteed european football next season.

Ben Arfa will tear Chelsea apart tonight, le wizard.

The noises Pardew has been making about this match since the weekend, suggest we will change formation. If not i think we will certainly see a very defensive minded performance, at least for the first hour or so.