Chelsea vs Newcastle United - 02/05/12 @ 7.45pm - pre-match thread

Dave

Guest Roy the Irish Magpie

would actually pick perch ahead of simpson injury or no injury after that last match but based on how they've play in general this season too!

Guest bimpy474

would actually pick perch ahead of simpson injury or no injury after that last match but based on how they've play in general this season too!

You sir have far to much common sense for your own good ;)

If simpson is injured, id rather play:

Santon  Willi    Colo    Ferguson

I like the attacking intent but it simply won't happen. Taylor or Perch will play there and rightly so.

Btw those who are saying that we should go to Chelsea and attack are off their lips. I don't get this idea that because we have had a good season we should just throw caution to the wind. If Wigan can tear us apart in 20 mins so could Chelsea.

IMO we should keep it tight and be expansive on the break, like we should have done at Wigan. No dropping Ba, who is the main reason we are in this position.

The most important thing by far is not to concede early. Chelsea have a lot on their minds, let's bore them into submission, then set Hatem on them.

In response to South Tynedale, it should 100% be Perch before Taylor. If it was my choice, I'd have Ferguson as back up and Ryan Taylor nowhere near a full back position

Aye Perch (catts), for me too like. That's who Pards will go with too.

If Simpson is injured then its Perch or Ferguson for me...... depending on what the intent and tactics are but R.Taylor should be no where near the fullback position for me except for absolute emergencies.

He's a versatile midfielder who can play fullback to an average/crap level and would rather Ferguson or Perch to him.

If simpson is injured, id rather play:

Santon  Willi    Colo    Ferguson

I like the attacking intent but it simply won't happen. Taylor or Perch will play there and rightly so.

Btw those who are saying that we should go to Chelsea and attack are off their lips. I don't get this idea that because we have had a good season we should just throw caution to the wind. If Wigan can tear us apart in 20 mins so could Chelsea.

IMO we should keep it tight and be expansive on the break, like we should have done at Wigan. No dropping Ba, who is the main reason we are in this position.

The most important thing by far is not to concede early. Chelsea have a lot on their minds, let's bore them into submission, then set Hatem on them.

Agree entirely, if we are too open we'll get possed.

I'm so tired of seeing Williamson in the line up. :anguish: Feels like we're dragging along a Championship player for every game. No offense, done well in spells, but I can't help but think he's been extremely lucky with the set of skills he's got, to be playing regularly for us for this long.

Can't wait until he's 4th choice. Same rant goes for Simpson, although to a lesser degree. Honest.

What I would like:

Krul

Santon      Willo          Colo        Fergie

Tiote    Perch

Cabaye

HBA                            Ba

Cisse

It is harsh to drop Jonas and I would consider bring him back on late for his fresh legs, but starting Perch and Tiote would bring more agression and harder tackles. We need to remind Chelsea that this game is just not worth it and they shouldn't bother.

With the FA cup final on saturday, they might end up resting a few first teamers.

I disagree, i think they're all playing for their place in the FA Cup Final and as they're winning games no one wants to miss out.

With the FA cup final on saturday, they might end up resting a few first teamers.

I disagree, i think they're all playing for their place in the FA Cup Final and as they're winning games no one wants to miss out.

If it was a week or two to go I'd agree but not 3 days. Matteo will already know his two teams i'd imagine.

That will be 3 games in 7 days for them though and hats too much to ask of one team. He has no choice but to prioritise and rotate based on what will be more important. I'm not saying he will (and even if they do they have a strong enough squad anyway) but its definitely a possibility.

Yea it won't be a weak side, but it will be a rotated side bearing in mind this is their 6th game in about 17 days, with a cup final in three days time. Can Lampard really play 3 games in a week at this stage of his career? Probably not. Ashley Cole or Mata may even be due a rest.

Chelsea have a big squad with a lot of players at a similar level so don't think their lineup has too much impact on our chances - only ones I would personally like to see left out are Drogba and Mata.

They rested Ramires, Drogba, Raul M, and Mikel Obi at the weekend, all of whom have been starters recently. I think we can expect all of these to come into their team against us. The likes of Lampard and Cole might sit, though. The thought of Ben Arfa against whoever they replace Cole with (Ferreira?, Bertand?) is salivating.

They rested Ramires, Drogba, Raul M, and Mikel Obi at the weekend, all of whom have been starters recently. I think we can expect all of these to come into their team against us. The likes of Lampard and Cole might sit, though. The thought of Ben Arfa against whoever they replace Cole with (Ferreira?, Bertand?) is salivating.

The thought of him nutmegging that prick Cole for 90 minutes sounds pretty good aswell.

Ahead of this game, Alan Pardew commented that:

"The last three games are going to be about our season in terms of making sure we finish strongly.

"I am not bothered if we lose all three, if I am honest, but the performances have to be right because we are playing three good teams and two away games in there."

Poor choice of words there.