Chelsea vs Newcastle United - 02/05/12 @ 7.45pm - pre-match thread

Dave

Guest bimpy474

Wonder if Liverpool have done us a favour tonight resting just about their whole team. Wonder if it'll make Di Matteo think about resting a few?

Could be a decent shout, but i think Di Matteo will go for it as Chelsea are still looking for the top 4 to gaurantee Champions League, rather than bank on beating Bayern.

Wonder if Liverpool have done us a favour tonight resting just about their whole team. Wonder if it'll make Di Matteo think about resting a few?

I would imagine they would prefer CL qualification over the Cup tbh.

Do we really want to get a good result against city and help manure ?.

Best thing is chelsea wins the champion league and spurs get 4th and nothing,

Then our last three games would be pointless in more ways than one lol.

The thought of beating the Arab poodles and denying them the title, thereby pissing off some of the most obnoxious fans in football fills me with great joy.

The thought of beating the Arab poodles and denying them the title, thereby pissing off some of the most obnoxious fans in football fills me with great joy.

Tbh the idea of beating any team giving us the chance of still finishing 4th going into the last day fills me with great joy.

PhysioRoom.com Ltd ‏ @physioroom

#Obertan will be fit for selection #DannySimpson hoping to recover in time for the trip to Chelsea #NUFC

10:53 PM - 1 May 12

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/may/01/alan-pardew-newcastle-united-chelsea

Alan Pardew will be back on familiar territory when his Newcastle United players arrive at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday night. A few years ago he developed something of a fixation with José Mourinho, the then Chelsea manager, and spent part of his free time shadowing the "Special One".

"I know Chelsea well," said Pardew. "Before I got this job and moved north, Chelsea was perhaps the team I visited most. I did a big study of Mourinho, how he played and how he got that unbeaten record at home."

Along the way Mourinho, now coaching Real Madrid, invited him behind the scenes. "I took in Chelsea's training ground a couple of times," said the Newcastle manager, whose family home in Surrey is handily placed for that facility while also being a relatively easy commute from Stamford Bridge.

"I just wanted to get my head round their incredible record at home under Mourinho. They must have gone two-and-a-half seasons without losing at home and José had done that at Porto before that. It wasn't just about great players, there was obviously something else going on. I came away with a couple of things."

Many of Roberto Di Matteo's squad are familiar faces. "I know Chelsea's players very well," Pardew said. "They're re-motivated now. The fact that it was reported they needed to be replaced because they lacked legs has now worked on the other side of the coin. They're proving everybody wrong, that's what great players do."

Di Matteo's Champions League finalists are sixth, one point behind the fifth‑placed Newcastle and Tottenham Hotspur, who visit Bolton Wanderers night standing fourth, courtesy of superior goal difference.

"It's going to be a big night for Champions League qualification, there's no getting away from that," said Pardew. "After Chelsea we've still got two more games left where things can change again but Wednesday will be significant."

His Newcastle team ended a run of six successive wins with a 4-0 defeat at Wigan Athletic on Saturday and, on returning to training, the players were greeted by the chilling sight of a mobile cryotherapy unit parked at their weekday headquarters.

It was filled with individual ice baths in which Pardew's first‑teamers plunged to hasten their physical recovery from the Wigan game, while perhaps also imbuing them with an extra mental edge.

"I don't think there'll be any problem with the psychology of our team now," he said. "It has to be a bad time to play Chelsea but we're looking for a big reaction."

Pardew accepts Newcastle may yet end up in the Europa League and is duly anxious to finish at least fifth rather than sixth, which would shorten the summer break by requiring involvement in early qualifying rounds. "If we can't strive for fourth, it's important we strive for fifth."

Bloody hell fire.

Guest Brendan_Rice

Bloody hell fire.

Catch a grip, nothing would brighten up a dull Wednesday night more than seeing us take on some of Europe's elite.

On a side note some of you might be interested in what Pardew has to say about the game (sorry if already posted):

http://www.football365.com/newcastle-united/7721271/Pardew-Promises-Different-Mentality-Against-Blues

Bloody hell fire.

Catch a grip, nothing would brighten up a dull Wednesday night more than seeing us take on some of Europe's elite.

On a side note some of you might be interested in what Pardew has to say about the game (sorry if already posted):

http://www.football365.com/newcastle-united/7721271/Giggs-Promises-Different-Mentality-Against-Blues

I want to get a good result against City because I'm a Newcastle fan.

Unbelievable.

This.

What a load of old shite

Bar their defence Chelsea could probably rest their whole team and still field a very strong 11. Thats the difference between Chelsea and the bin dippers. We are going to face a strong team tonight regardless of who he rests and who plays. Depending on which Newcastle team turns up we could give them a game or get a battering.

I cannot see them doing a Liverpool, they have more to play for than Liverpool who have their Europa place already but Chelsea want Champions League and cannot rely on winning it to get that place.

If they can get fourth then Champions League football is guaranteed.

He just got his words wrong imo.

I did the same yesterday, my youngest son (just cut his hair very short) and i picked up my Mum and her rather large friend to drop them off at the local hospital. As they got in the car, the large lady got in the front and as she did this my son asked me something which i didn't quite hear, i turned and said "sorry baldy", due to his new haircut. Thing is i didn't say "sorry baldy", i actually said "sorry fatty" just as the large lady got in the car.

I knew what i meant, even if the atmos in the car didn't.

:lol: socially awkward bimpy. You should have your own blog worth of social commentary and every day mishaps. Love the mrs. bimpy gags as well.

Guest BooBoo

Nervous as fuck about this.

Im not expecting anything other than a comfortable home win so I'm quite chilled. Anythings a bonus tonight, very hard game.

Nervous as fuck about this.

Im not expecting anything other than a comfortable home win so I'm quite chilled. Anythings a bonus tonight, very hard game.

Aye, Chelsea to win by 3 or 4, I fear.