In the sphere of instinctive ball strikers & finishers, where does Cisse rank?

Guest Tyson

Guest Tyson

Given a yard or two (and he'll create the space off his own bat, with intelligent movement) he'll pull the trigger. It was something i noticed when watching him in Germany a couple of times, with the benefit of replay footage. Just a couple of passages of play brought this facet of his game to my attention. Against Dortmund this year his left-foot volley (although off-target), from a right-sided cross delivered with pace (across his body) was the biggest indicator.

It's one thing to have that facet of singlemindedly pulling the trigger, when the space is created, but it's another kettle of fish to back that up with excellent technique & consistent ball-striking ability. What stands out most with Cisse, is his variety of finishes - most of them have ranged from excellent to top-drawer.

In Germany, during his break-out year, his shooting efficiency percentage (among the leading goal scorers) was excellent. I think he was awarded for this iirc.

Shearer, as a finisher when taking into account his aerial prowess in front of goal, was a more all-round threat. But with the ball on the deck (with either foot) it's a pretty tough call. I'd just about put him into Le Tissier territory as well, in the area of ball-striking genius & creativity.

Falcao has been pretty unreal for Atlético, just to throw another name into the hat. Never seen a player with such a natural finishing ability in La Liga since Hugo Sánchez. Scores all kinds of goals... headers, from distance, with both feet, strikes with power and has all the physical attributes of a dominating central striker. Like one of his teammates said, "you could throw a fridge at him and he would manage to put it in the back of the net".

Being La Liga's top goalscorer after the two freaks, while playing in a team that's having such a meh season is something to be commended.

Defoe is/was actually quite similar in approach, he doesn't wait for a second chance to pull the trigger.

When we signed Cisse I watched a lot of his goals from Germany, and the amount he scores by just shooting early when nobody expects it is incredible. Snap shot expert.

The Villa goal was a great example.

Really, he needed another half a second or so to set himself properly and get the shot away. However the defender was closing in from the side quickly and would have blocked it, so Cisse takes it that split second earlier and the defender doesn't get there. Not many strikers would have made a decent connection with the ball there, but Cisse absolutely rifles it into the top corner.

He's immense.

Defoe is/was actually quite similar in approach, he doesn't wait for a second chance to pull the trigger.

:anguish: The difference being that Defoe doesn't know how to exercise control on a shot, he just hits everything as hard as he can.

I don't think he's actually got that powerful a shot. The two goals last night were down to technique and a willingness to improvise. As others have said, striking the ball early and accurately is usually more important than trying to burst the net.

He also looks very relaxed and calm, as though he was playing in a kickabout. There's no unwanted tension when he strikes the ball.

On instincts alone and ability to hit into angles where he has so little room to manoeuvre, I honestly can't think of anyone I've seen that's better. His snapshot finishes are ridiculous

He's scoring a goal a game at the moment. So obviously he's going to rank at pretty much the top.

I think only a few of his goals could be described as clear cut chances. WBA springs to mind. Most of the others have decent/half chances. We thought Obafemi Martins was two footed. This guy's a beast. Takes them early and strikes them true, not hard but true. At first you think "did he mean that?" Because the technique is so excellent it can look jammy. We are talking world class finish after world class finish.

It's just all so natural to him (or certainly looks that way to me), it's effortless.

I don't honestly believe you can "train" that into someone, you've either got the natural ability or you don't.

As has been said, his quickness to strike and calmness within those strikes is just mindboggling.

Also, I'm extremely impressed by his movement and positional sense of himself on the pitch.

To hit the "sweet spot" of the goal (the place the keeper can't reach) can only happen if you know exactly where you are in relation to the goal before you hit it.

To do it time and time again is just crazy, crazy stuff.

The more I think about it, the more it hurts my head.

Half a season and he's already a Legend. :love:

Guest je85

Up there with Samuel Eto'o.

Reminds me of Eto'o.

Cole, Asprilla, Eto'o? He reminds me of a young Lenny Henry.

It's just all so natural to him (or certainly looks that way to me), it's effortless.

I don't honestly believe you can "train" that into someone, you've either got the natural ability or you don't.

As has been said, his quickness to strike and calmness within those strikes is just mindboggling.

Also, I'm extremely impressed by his movement and positional sense of himself on the pitch.

To hit the "sweet spot" of the goal (the place the keeper can't reach) can only happen if you know exactly where you are in relation to the goal before you hit it.

To do it time and time again is just crazy, crazy stuff.

The more I think about it, the more it hurts my head.

Half a season and he's already a Legend. :love:

He's a damn superhero with the football  :memeyeah: