Newcastle United 0 - 2 Man City - 05/06/12 - post-match reaction from page 35

Beren

Very sad to see Jonas exposed so often today, seemed off the pace and lacking the awareness of the rest of the team. Has to be pushed inside like I said at half time if he's to continue instead of keeping Ferguson out, who was like an absolute breath of fresh air when he came on.

He is losing his pace rapidly, scary how slow he is in comparison to when he arrived. I nearly broke the tv after the Aguero chance where he just stood and watched the ball loose in our penalty box with Krul grounded. Replays showed my opinion to be harsh though, there was a bit of hesitation but he couldn't get there to clear the ball.

He got a ton of space with Santon though, especially in the first half and the end of the second. He is a great worker but he needs replacing in the starting line up next year.

After they scored their first it was always gonna be hard to get back into it, with Mancini's 'shut up shop' mentality going 5 at the back. I thought Pards did the right thing to make us more direct and more options in the box. Fergie impressed me when he came on.

With Webb involved today we were never really going to get anything. What an absolute disgrace that cunt is.

Hopefully next year (as harsh as it is) he isn't a sure starter. That said, he's a brilliant player to have, hard working, defensively sound and a great out ball. He definitely has a big part to play next season, just maybe not starting every week.

After they scored their first it was always gonna be hard to get back into it, with Mancini's 'shut up shop' mentality going 5 at the back. I thought Pards did the right thing to make us more direct and more options in the box. Fergie impressed me when he came on.

With Webb involved today we were never really going to get anything. What an absolute disgrace that c*** is.

Other than the Perch yellow thought he did well.

Hopefully next year (as harsh as it is) he isn't a sure starter. That said, he's a brilliant player to have, hard working, defensively sound and a great out ball. He definitely has a big part to play next season, just maybe not starting every week.

It'll benefit from rotation. It's been a very long season. He's hardly missed a kick or a game. Very tough game in midweek. Thought he started really tentatively but did really well as the game wore on. Faded towards the end.

Proud of the lads today, the season has been fantastic and beating Man City was a step too far. Their defence was pretty solid and they kept HBA quiet too.

Wish I could have been there for the lap of honour, they deserve the biggest standing ovation for the this season. Now let's go and smash Everton and see what happens.

Lost to a better team. They have so many class players. Yaya and Kompany ran the show again. We put up a good fight but didn't look like scoring. No shame in losing like this, but I don't see how we're gonna get 4th now. Arsenal and Spurs wont lose. Can't be too disappointed by 5th though, f***ing hell :lol:

A little undeserved grip I have to throw in as well.. fuck me Williamson and his holding. Should have given away at least two penalties today. Almost ripped Agueros arm out of his socket at one point right in front of Howard Webb.

The lack of pace and organization after Santon switching and Jonas covering LB didnt help us, combined with Toure moving up we were pretty susceptible.

Dare I re-ignite the old debate, but it did seem at times our gameplan was again to pump it long to two players who can't play that role and tell Cabaye and Tiote to sit deeper than where they could contest the second ball?

Granted City were the much better team on the day, and you would never know now how our middle 3 would have stood up man to man against the opposition, but at home with the crowd behind us it would have been nice to have seen us play in our recognized strongest formation, rather than pander to one of our out of form strikers :/

That said it's hard to fault the players and I applaud them for a wonderful season that I can be quoted as saying that I had no belief at all in our team at the start of the year.

Guest Wally_McFool

Fuck. Way too fucking negative for most game. Cabaye losing ball in the middle, terrible.

WTF is this you spoon? :D

Guest guinness_fiend

Out of form strikers?  :lol :  Cisse has been a revelation and if Ba has not been scoring, he has held the ball up well and given us someone to aim for.  Christ, no wonder footballers suffer from depression. 

This time next season:  Messi has only scored sixty this season, he's past it.  Yup, Messi out!

We weren't pandering to anyone, we were playing a counter attacking system because against City we would have been annihilated if we'd left ourselves open. Absolutely the right decision IMO. I think to say we were pandering to Ba is idiotic, he doesn't even like long balls into him. The idea we were playing 442 to please him is madness.

Guest ThievingMagpie

Unlucky to concede the first we were flat for the second but we had chances to draw or even win the game. There wasn't much difference between the champions-elect and us to be fair. Yaya Toure though, what a player he can play anywhere and be world class.

Our game plan was to pump it up to ba and cisse only after they scored, we didn't have too much time for patient build up play at that point. I don't think Pardew got it significantly wrong and had luck fallen a different way we could have got a goal or two ourselves. One of the reasons we didn't was Kompany was superb.

We struggled in midfield as Aguero and Tevez both drop deep basically giving them constant options but a lack of a focal point up top why they couldn't really score for large part of game imo,  it would have been hard for us to match that even if we had stuck on gosling for Ba, and not really ready to trust Gosling ahead of Ba being a threat up top. What did for us is Yaya Toure moving further up the pitch, brilliant player and can't really legislate for that.

Thought everyone played fine, Ben Arfa maybe seemed to be missing things he'd normally do but can't complain overly. Well done all. Not sure why everyone is suddenly calling for Pardew's head, think expectations got a bit high here.