Next season, which formation?

BONTEMPI

As we are seemingly having alot more success with 4-3-3, what would you like to see?

4-2-3-1 would suit us best imo

Krul

Santon  New  Colo  New

Tiote          New/Jonas

Cabaye

Ben Arfa                  Ba

Cisse

Hoping we'll see a much more fluid front three next season with all three interchanging throughout games, behind them a midfield trio of Tiote, Cabaye and either Jonas or a more creative player for games where the opposition will likely park the bus (Wigan and Bolton at home this season spring to mind). Obviously need a new full back and centre half too.

4-4-1-1 would suit us best imo

Krul

Santon  Willo/ Tayls  Colo  New

HBA  Tiote Cabaye Jonas

Ba

Cisse

If we lose Ba lets hope we replace him with another quality player.

Keep varying it up depending on opposition IMO.

Agreed, i prefer a 4-3-3 as the main system but certain teams will require different systems..... one of the great things about this squad is that they seem to be very adaptable.

Guest firetotheworks

I loved the 4-2-1-3 vs Stoke, but obviously it won't work all the time. I definitely prefer variants of 4-3-3 (4-5-1, 4-2-3-1 etc) over 4-4-2 though. It's the modern formation, it works well when you have the players for it, and I think we do.

I'm delighted that Pardew has two or three systems in mind and that he continues to tweak them and change them game-by-game in order to get the best chance of winning. As long as the players can cope in these multiple systems (and so far it looks like they can), then we're doing it right.

I think the 4-3-3 works better for the players we have, as it gives the likes of Ben Arfa a more advanced role, while allowing Cabaye licence to push up.

I'd love to see us try and sign Hoilett and/or Adam Johnson in the summer, mind, as I think they'd greatly enhance us in either a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3. Would add a lot of depth and creativity to the squad ahead of the likes of Obertan and Raylor.

Krul Colo

New                      New

Jonas

Santon               

Tiote Cabaye

Ben Arfa

Ba

Cisse

Guest BooBoo

That's where the discussion begins and ends.

Now for the lock.

Guest je85

This.

:lol:

And that's a thread.

Adaptability is key.

Guest VegasToon

This.

:lol:

And that's a thread.

Adaptability is key.

Time to lock.

Harsh to drop Jonas. I'd go for:

Krul

Santon    New    Colo    New

Cabaye    Tiote    Jonas

Ben Arfa    Cisse    Ba

Subs: New GK, S.Taylor, new forward, new midfielder, Ferguson, Marveaux, Simpson

Simpsons a long shot as he'll probably be off, and tbh 5 new players without losing any of those starters is ambitious as well, but it is very important that we strengthen our bench because it has looked weak all season. Theres simply not enough quality outside of our first 11 to help us compete at the top of the table as well as in Europe next season.

4-3-3 against rubbish and average sides, 4-4-2 against good sides.

Depends what good sides, because i dont think play 4-4-2 is wise against the likes of Arsenal, City and Spurs......

Works well against the likes of Chelsea and Man U though because the types of teams they are.

Reckong the 4-2-3-1 will work in many games for us. Problem is Marveaux would probably offer more than Demba on the left. Vuckic to fill in for Cabaye, Abeid for Jonas and or Cheik. Ferguson and Obertan as back up on the wings. Adam Campbell maybe in and around for the Europa League games?

Amalfitano and Butterfield would provide more cover. I think we need another forward, especially if Ba leaves.

New left back and centre back in the stopper mould would make our defence mean as hell.

And of course, sell Krul and give Elliot the nr 1 jersey.

Krul

Willi Taylor Colo

Tiote Jonas

Cabaye

Hatem        Marv

Ba Cisse

On FIFA anyway

That's the thing with you young 'uns - you think FIFA is realistic!

Now then, I've just been into the loft to get Subbuteo out - and funnily enough I picked the same formation on that! Now I've just got to mend all the players' legs. (Where did I leave my airfix glue?), then put the number transfers on their backs - but it's getting tricky on my eyes, and the numbers only go to 11.